Settling deceased brother estate

whoppe78

My brother recently passed away here in Bangkok.Me and my other brother came from the States to retrieve his ashes and take care of any paper work needed done.But he was renting a house that he bought and fitted with many appliances, furniture,air conditioner, etc.I havn't been to house yet so don't know what is still left.But wondering what rights I have about removing all his stuff.I imagine the land lord would want the house restored and cleaned back to its original status.I have a house in Surin so I could use a few things.Does anybody think I need to get a lawyer.Today we look over any papers he has but unfortunately he lived alone here,except his GF's so not sure what documents there are.Thanks in advance for any advice and we don't think there was any foul play in this .But we need to wait for the autopsy which might take as much as 6 weeks ?

mate, you will probably be lucky to find anything of his at all, it will be long gone I would imagine. Between the landlord, gf and neighbours anything of value will have been removed, sorry but that is just the way it is over here. I hope I am wrong but I do not think so, condolences for your brother, hope he was able to enjoy his life here.

mate, you will probably be lucky to find anything of his at all, it will be long gone I would imagine. Between the landlord, gf and neighbours anything of value will have been removed, sorry but that is just the way it is over here. I hope I am wrong but I do not think so, condolences for your brother, hope he was able to enjoy his life here.

That may be true in the case of really horrible Thai people. But in my years here I have not really met any, I think they are a serious minority.

To be honest, I doubt anything would be removed and you will be welcomed to anything. Most Thais would see it as very disrespectful to take (steal) any property of a dead person, they would likely fear the worst from his ghost (that's how they think). Also would bring them bad merit.

There is a very good chance his estate will be intact. Well..... more chance of it being intact, than there is of it being ransacked.

You have to expect a very heavy bias towards the negative if you choose to ask for advice on TV unfortunately.

You and your family have my deepest sympathy for your loss.

Dave.

• Like 1

What are you going to do with the appliances etc if you do gain possession of them ? not take them back to the States, sell? i would think cost effective wise leave them where they are.

Op has stated he has a house in surin

That may be true in the case of really horrible Thai people. But in my years here I have not really met any, I think they are a serious minority.

To be honest, I doubt anything would be removed and you will be welcomed to anything. Most Thais would see it as very disrespectful to take (steal) any property of a dead person, they would likely fear the worst from his ghost (that's how they think). Also would bring them bad merit.

There is a very good chance his estate will be intact. Well..... more chance of it being intact, than there is of it being ransacked.

You have to expect a very heavy bias towards the negative if you choose to ask for advice on TV unfortunately.

Dave.

A good friend of mine passed away last year and the apartment owner told me I had just 5 hours to clear his things. I took what I thought his family would need and then the rats had the rest. When I say rats I mean everyone who works in the condo building. So I would be surprised if anything was still there for you to take.

What are you going to do with the appliances etc if you do gain possession of them ? not take them back to the States, sell? i would think cost effective wise leave them where they are.

He said for his house in Surin.

indeed he did, but you would have to read the post before commenting to know that.

whether there is anything left depends entirely on the type of person the brother built his life with.

Only way to find out is talk to the landlord.

If and it's a big if, any of his possessions are left you would need to prove they were his by producing receipts otherwise the landlord will claim they belong to the house.

Agree.

Usually in these cases the vultures are quickly on the scene to grab anything of value and worth having.

If there is anything left then it`s really a case of whether the landlord will be cooperative or not. If not, then it all depends if there is anything of value and worth all the effort and hassle of trying to retrieve the stuff.

Personally, I don`t think it`s worth the bother, but whatever you decide has to be up to your own discretion.

If and it's a big if, any of his possessions are left you would need to prove they were his by producing receipts otherwise the landlord will claim they belong to the house.

A proper rental agreement should include an inventory. Mine includes many photos of my condo and what was in it on the day I moved in. They also show any existing damage to furniture etc.

Dave.

A good friend of mine passed away last year and the apartment owner told me I had just 5 hours to clear his things. I took what I thought his family would need and then the rats had the rest. When I say rats I mean everyone who works in the condo building. So I would be surprised if anything was still there for you to take.

Well that was unfortunate. Because first off, it is illegal, and personally I would have told the landlord that if he even entered the property before the rental period was expired, then I would be calling the police (and yes, the police do act).

If the last rental period and any future rental period covered by the deposit was actually expired and the property was essentially unpaid at that time, then the landlord is allowed to seize such property as such to secure further rent to bring it up to date.

I trust that the op has secured his financial estate? Bank accounts etc.... Also what about a car, motorcycle? How did he get around? Did he have any in his name? They can't easily have the ownership transferred, if any vehicles exist you need to find out. Even used cars are worth quite a lot compared with the west.

Turns out everything was left in house.The landlord said Thais are scared to come into house when someone dies.Plus all I get from neighbors is compassion and helpfulness. The only thing that was taken was his ipad and the police kept that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Turns out everything was left in house.The landlord said Thais are scared to come into house when someone dies.Plus all I get from neighbors is compassion and helpfulness. The only thing that was taken was his ipad and the police kept that.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I727 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

With a bit of luck find my I device is installed on the iPad and you can login and remote lock it so the thriving useless Thai police get nothing ;) Glad to hear things worked out in the end

• Like 1