For those that have a truck, a question?

zeekgarcia

if your truck is modified (seats in the back and canopy high enough that you can sit and your head does not hit the canopy) and correctly registered you can easy have 4 people in the back of a 4 door truck. Your insurance should be for 9 passengers in such a case.

Sent from my Lumia 720 using Tapatalk

Thus the insurance doesn't cover Illegal activities?

Does it ever? Not anywhere I know of.

So if you have an accident while speeding, running a red light, drunk-driving, driving with expired tags, driving with a tail light out or any number of illegal activities voids your insurance? Oh my.

Drunk driving might, depending on the policy conditions, void your health insurance. Check your policy conditions, also for car.

But the other things you mention will not void your insurance.

Right or wrong I don't know which....but my ex-girlfriend told me it was OK to have people in the back if they are sitting down. Standing up in the back is frowned upon.

You take notice of what a gf says................whistling.gif .........................laugh.png

So if you have an accident while speeding, running a red light, drunk-driving, driving with expired tags, driving with a tail light out or any number of illegal activities voids your insurance? Oh my.

The fine details will vary according to the country but in countries I have driven in the following applies:

Your insurance cover may well be suspended or reduced if you are drunk or are committing some other crime that carries a prison sentence. Your contract may also specify that it will be invalidated for lesser offences such as not having a valid licence or road-worthiness certificate, or being over-laden. Your third-party liability should still be valid as it is a legal requirement. So if you are drunk and you write off your car you may not get any pay out from your insurance.

I dont know of anywhere where running a red light is punishable by a prison sentence, nor driving without a tail-light and so I would not expect those to have any incidence on insurance cover. Nor would I expect it be invalidated by spitting on the floor or littering. These are minor offences (which can be referred to as misdemeanours in some countries).

The fine details will vary according to the country but in countries I have driven in the following applies:

Your insurance cover may well be suspended or reduced if you are drunk or are committing some other crime that carries a prison sentence. Your contract may also specify that it will be invalidated for lesser offences such as not having a valid licence or road-worthiness certificate, or being over-laden. Your third-party liability should still be valid as it is a legal requirement. So if you are drunk and you write off your car you may not get any pay out from your insurance.

I dont know of anywhere where running a red light is punishable by a prison sentence, nor driving without a tail-light and so I would not expect those to have any incidence on insurance cover. Nor would I expect it be invalidated by spitting on the floor or littering. These are minor offences (which can be referred to as misdemeanours in some countries).

Then it is fair to say that being involved in illegal activity while driving does not necessarily void your insurance, yes?

So if my car is stolen while I am robbing a bank, it would not be covered, because that carries a prison sentence, right?

I assume that for the insurance to not pay, one would have to be convicted of a crime, and sentenced to jail, correct?

Finally, if I let people ride in the back of my truck, the police can arrest me and if convicted, send me to jail?

<snip>

So if my car is stolen while I am robbing a bank, it would not be covered, because that carries a prison sentence, right?

<snip>

Of course it would be covered, does not matter what you were doing while it got stolen (unless if you keep the engine running, that would be gross negligence). Simply hire a driver.

The conditions under which your insurance becomes void has got nothing to do with the law - just what you accepted in the contract. e.g. fitting aftermarket wheels to your car isn't against any law, but if you don't notify insurance, it can void your policy. The law says you can drive with < 0.05% blood alcohol limit, but many insurance policies specify 0.00 again, nothing to do with the law and all just about the contract.

• Like 1