Freedom to Marry, Translated, and MFA in one day?

CarolinaJames

I think you are really pushing it to get it done in one day.

I can remember (if I am wrong I hope some other member will correct me) that at MFA they only accept 30 applications for same day / express service.

What you also could do (maybe this could serve as an alternative) is let the translator also handle the legalization of the document at MFA and send the document back to you by EMS ?

Here is a list by the US Embassy of some translators in the area

http://bangkok.usembassy.gov/root/pdfs/translators_photographers.pdf

Edit: // Added Email address of MFA Consular Section

Here the email address of the Legalization Division: [email protected]

Edited by MJCM

No problem doing it in one day, as long as you are at the Thai MFA before noon.

The translation of the affidavit is a standard text that translators have in their computer, they only add your personal details.

You could choose non-express service. That will take a few days, but for 65 baht they will send it to your address by EMS.

We went to the British Embassy today to do the affirmation of freedom to marry. I'd read you cannot get same day service but we got there around 8:45am and were in and out with completed paperwork within 20 minutes. On the way out at just after 9:00 there was a queue forming, so it was worth going early. Barely out of the door a tout appeared from nowhere and tried to sell us something for 12000B but the security guard told us to go to the MFA as we'd find somebody that would likely do a better translation there.

Got to the MFA about 10:15am, was pounced on as we got out of the taxi, guy said 300B for translation and it would be ready in 30 minutes. He took us into the restaurant, worked out my name in Thai, gave us the paperwork we'd need when we went upstairs to fill in while we waited and off he went. While we sat there I saw many other people being bought in by similar people who went off and returned with something for them. It actually took our guy 45 minutes but he then took us upstairs and told us what to do (check in at reception, take a number and wait).

The reason I'm posting is that I was asked if "standard" service was okay but I said I'd like the "express" service. She talked to a colleague and said there was no express service available which surprised me so I had to accept standard. We waited to be called, handed over the paperwork and 400B and was told to go back Wednesday at 9:00am. So what I've read above makes sense as the tout tried to explain something to my girlfriend involving the number 30. She thought everything would have to be posted home as only 30 people a day can collect, but putting 2 and 2 together I'm sure he meant only 30 people a day can use the express same day service, and by 11:00am all of those had already been taken.

Can confirm this via MFA's very cumbersum and not very helpfull website. Especially if you cant read thai.

Tucked away in the small unnoticeable news section, it changed in July this year.

As from July 2013 ONLY the first 30 applicant's everyday will be granted the express service. The rest will just be offered the normal std service. (1 to 2 working days)

I guss due to its location and the relatively low cost of the express service they are "overloaded" with express applications.

So I guess anyone hoping to complete a marriage in 1 to 2 days are going to be struggling from now on.

Best advice I guess is just to go early??

We see this all the time with government services and not just in Thailand. Restricting and limiting because of overload and in general this never works, all that happens is larger queues form earlier and earlier during the opening hours.

Truely if they want to push more people to the std service then just increase the express service cost.

Nearly all people's who apply for rapid/express/same day services anywhere (including visas) is not because they need the documents the same day but in general its because they dont want to make a return journey to that office.

I always feel sorry for the people that genuinely require rapid service's.

And for 65 baht (for envelope and stamp) they will send the documents to your home by EMS. Only takes about 5 days to recieve from date of submitting the documents. They could advertise that more.

It is even possible to submit documents by mail and get them back by mail.

• 4 weeks later...

Here is my trip report:

I had an appointment for 7:30 at USA Embassy on Tuesday. I left my hotel at 6:45 but due to traffic jams from school opening, floods, and accidents, I arrived around 30 minutes late. They diddnt seem to bother. The process is pretty easy and it took around 1 hour and 1500 baht to get the Form notarized. They had the Red Sox game on and a decent coffee shop so not a bad wait.

From there, I used a Translation service recommended by them in the next building over. It took around 1 hour and cost 400 baht. During this wait, I walked down the street to the Starbucks. There is also an Au Bon near there.

I took a taxi from Wireless Road to Chaeng Wattana and think it cost around 150-200 baht but not sure. I went to the third floor to get a number. You do need a copy of your passport picture page. I didnt have this so I had to run down to the 2nd floor. The line took around 30 minutes and had it sent to me via EMS. The total cost with EMS was 460 baht. Today, it arrived without any problems (2 days).

All finished by 11:15.

• Like 1

Interesting reading. i still have to do the MOFA part. I did smile at Carolina James post ... 1,500 to get the document notarized ... Good old British Embassy charging 3,315 baht for the same thing. looks like I need to leave Pattaya early to get to the MOFA. Although I have sort of made my mind up that getting it posted to me is OK. I'm in no rush.

• 2 weeks later...

And for 65 baht (for envelope and stamp) they will send the documents to your home by EMS. Only takes about 5 days to recieve from date of submitting the documents. They could advertise that more.

It is even possible to submit documents by mail and get them back by mail.

Do you have any more info on submitting the MFA documents by mail? Address to mail to, payments that need to be included? Timeframe? This would be a big help to me as I'm getting married soon but I'd rather not take a day off work to visit the MFA if I can avoid it. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...