Phuket Immigration

thaigerd

Yesterday I went to Phuket Immigration to apply for 1year extension for my visa.

Provided perfect documents from my company I am working for, work permit etc.

But they asked me straight away for some "extra money" apart from the fee I paid, not only me, all foreigners who came in with the same visa applications.

It took them 6 hours for doing this paper work!!!

After 5 hours sitting there he could see that I got upset, he told me:" Chai yenn yenn".

Next time I'll go to BKK, better???

Please let me know.

Gerd

Hi Kasi,

welcome to our forum here!

It was a normal procedure, extending a non-imm. visa B from Penang to a 1year visa.

Please understand I do not want to mention the amount of money for the officer....

I'm living and working more than 10 years in Th, but this never happen to me before.

Gerd

gerd thanks for the welcome

actually I dont really understand the reluctance to mention how much they asked for in addition to the normal fee. I'm not asking you to name any names. Even if it was 2000 baht they still arent getting rich off you. I suppose if you are making thai wages you could explain that to them. I'm told by some expat buddies here that that doesnt always happen.

I agree with thetyim about greasing the wheels. I'm quite supprised you have'nt encountered that in your 10 years of thailand experience. I seems pretty common that farangs are targeted for certain surcharges and fines. Thats why I always carry a drivers licence and wear a helmet in Patong.

Thats just the way it is. Farangs have to play it extra carefull here from what I can tell. That hasnt changed since the first time I came to thailand 25 years ago.

What is up with immigration?

I have had 2- 1 year retirment visas and NEVER paid any more than the required 500 baht. both times showed my bank book, copy of the bank book and passport and 10 minutesd later my visa was done.

Phuket immigration has always been herlpful and kind.

I have talked to numerous friends and they do have neve rhad a hard time. What are you doing different to irrate them?

I have been asked for "additional charges" many times.

It is, IMHO, worth paying to get the VIP treatment.

I give him 2K each time, it is only once a year so no problem.

Will you just stop that! Giving them the ''extra money''.... :o

Pisses me off every time.

You just make it easy for them and harder for the rest of us afterwards.

Why dont you just also bend over while you're there next time or eat an entire doolian if they ask ?

I think Thaigerd did the right thing in waiting it out.

Why dont you just also bend over while you're there next time or eat an entire doolian if they ask ?

You think its a good idea to bend over even if they don't ask? I just want to plan ahead.

I'd pay the 2000 baht rather than bend over. I have a low pain threshold :o

I agree DONT paid the bastards!

Phuket immigration has been the most corrupt immigration office I have come accross in Thailand!

CORRUPTION plain and simple!

I hope they all go to ######.

The big boss there was a gay guy (I think for sure though no proof) too and not friendly to me either! :o

Even if it was 2000 baht they still arent getting rich off you.

That's just the point, if this happens many times daily at 2000 baht a pop, how much do you think those crooked agents are bringing home weekly??? :o

I am still doing my visa runs every 3 months instead of 1 year extension, after all I enjoy my holiday every 3 months and I didnt want to pay the extra fee's.

2000 baht sounds cheap, I have heard 15,000 baht too, but the reason is maybe because all papers were not in order or all requirements were not met and thus a higher fee.

What I've read, the new minimum salaries effective from July 10 is only for 1 year visa extensions/work permits, if you stick to your visa run every 3 months I guess you can still use 35,000 baht as minimum salary. Any thoughts about this?

Just a quick reminder to all you guys with a 1 year extension to your visa, be it a retirement visa or any other type of 1 year extension. You must report to immigration every 90 days. Failing to do so, you can and probably will be fined 2000baht. This regulation is printed on your arrival card. There is no fee when you report. I have never been asked for a fee, but they always seem to make a point of telling you there is no charge. I think hoping you will drop then a few baht for helping you with your paperwork. You also have to take with you proof or your residential address which you get from your landlord ot hotel etc.

I am still doing my visa runs every 3 months instead of 1 year extension, after all I enjoy my holiday every 3 months and I didnt want to pay the extra fee's.

2000 baht sounds cheap, I have heard 15,000 baht too, but the reason is maybe because all papers were not in order or all requirements were not met and thus a higher fee.

What I've read, the new minimum salaries effective from July 10 is only for 1 year visa extensions/work permits, if you stick to your visa run every 3 months I guess you can still use 35,000 baht as minimum salary. Any thoughts about this?

As long as you are only talking about someone with a work permit or married to a Thai, that'd be right.

Visa requirements "Can" vary depending on ones county of origin.

Some counties are allowed many many "no problems" . I know a guy with a ret. visa from the U.S. whom is really just a very frequent visitor to Thailand and does his visit via mail to an office in Pattaya using a Pattaya P.O. box, which was BTW his only address in Thailand, ever. And to add to that, he got his visa totally out of Thailand in the U.S.! Nothing like a little foreign aid etc!

Pay the required amount, get his name, and report the sons of bastages. Corruption is everywhere and if we can do a little to stop it, well then we have a duty to do so, or else our children will also fall victim to the same system. Do your part and do it right.

How can we succumb to these practices of these sons of bastages, while at the same time teaching our children not to be corrupt, when the teachers, government workers and other assigned officials are all willing to be bought for their assigned services, rather than relying on their salaries as do all others. :o

As long as you are only talking about someone with a work permit or married to a Thai, that'd be right.

If I understand this correctly;

1 year work permit/Minimum salary 50,000 (For Europeans)

3 months work permit/Minimum salary 35,000

(But english teachers would be fine with less salary also, they get special treatment and the salary seems not to be important here.)

This according to replies from Immigration officials in Phuket Gazette regarding english teachers' work permit and similar questions.

• 3 years later...

Will you just stop that! Giving them the ''extra money''.... :o

I like a simple life and in my 8 years visiting Phuket Immigration I have made friends not enemies of the stafff there. I am wellcomed with a smile. I dont give a big tip but I always smile and slip em a few hundred Baht and they know this and they even fill out the forms for me. Best to act dumb than a principled smart ass. The first leson I learned in business nobody likes a smart ass they dont want to shag it they only want to kick it. My visits are swift and jolly. I pay for the service the same as I might give a tip to a pretty girl in a cafe or the chap that carries my purchases from Home Pro to my car. It's nice to be nice and it pays dividends. Matters of principal cost time and money here. I would rather pay 200/300 Baht for a trouble free visit than spend 5 hours cooling my heels and beating my breast. I spend no more than 10 minutes in Phuket Immigration on my annual visa and a minute every 90 days. Indeed last time I forgot to sign in after 90 days and was in Bangkok and I asked my wife to go in with my passport and due to my good relations with the staff there they stamped my passport even though I was not there. I believe there is a hefty fine for missing this 90 day stamp? Lighten up I have seen guys like Thaigerd mean moody and waiting for Godot

Will you just stop that! Giving them the ''extra money''.... :D

I like a simple life and in my 8 years visiting Phuket Immigration I have made friends not enemies of the stafff there. I am wellcomed with a smile. I dont give a big tip but I always smile and slip em a few hundred Baht and they know this and they even fill out the forms for me. Best to act dumb than a principled smart ass. The first leson I learned in business nobody likes a smart ass they dont want to shag it they only want to kick it. My visits are swift and jolly. I pay for the service the same as I might give a tip to a pretty girl in a cafe or the chap that carries my purchases from Home Pro to my car. It's nice to be nice and it pays dividends. Matters of principal cost time and money here. I would rather pay 200/300 Baht for a trouble free visit than spend 5 hours cooling my heels and beating my breast. I spend no more than 10 minutes in Phuket Immigration on my annual visa and a minute every 90 days. Indeed last time I forgot to sign in after 90 days and was in Bangkok and I asked my wife to go in with my passport and due to my good relations with the staff there they stamped my passport even though I was not there. I believe there is a hefty fine for missing this 90 day stamp? Lighten up I have seen guys like Thaigerd mean moody and waiting for Godot

:o:D :D