Mariage visa

I am now a little weird, that I have different answers to a simple question for a marriage visas. The local emigration tells 40,000. - Baht per month or 400,000. - In a bank ... I contacted one of the most acclaimed law firms in Thaialnd and the answer was as following, to my question about money versus bank...

Dear XXXX,

Thank you for contacting SXXX LXXX International regarding your recent inquiry. the combination of both the money in the bank and monthly income rule for the marriage visa requirement has not yet changed. It can still be used to proceed with the marriage visa application.

Regards,

XXXXXXXXXXX

Who is right in their arguments ....

Edited by nakhonsawan

The following information is for extension of stay because based on NON O visa... So i do not understand, and hopefully I am not the only one...

REQUIREMENTS

This is substantiated through a Marriage Certificate. There are instances (depending on the immigration office) that a copy of the Affirmation of Freedom to Marry obtained by the foreigner from his embassy in Thailand is also required.

1. THB 400,000 in a Thai Bank Account for 2 months before the visa application
2. Monthly income of at least THB 40,000. A letter from the foreigner’s embassy has to be
shown to verify this income.
3. Combination of the Thai bank account and yearly income with the sum of 400,000 THB

• Married to Thai National
  • Financial Requirement

• Police Clearance *

• Medical Certificate *

* These are not required if the visa application is submitted within Thailand. These documents are required by some Thai embassies and consulates for the issuance of a Non-immigrant O visa.

THAILAND MARRIAGE VISA APPLICATION PROCESS

There is no direct visa application for the Thailand marriage visa. Once you have completed or met the requirements, the foreigner could obtain a 90-day or even a one year non-immigrant O visa from his home country or country of residence.

Once the Non-immigrant visa is obtained, you must travel to Thailand to activate the non-immigrant visa which permits you to stay in Thailand for 90 days from the date of entry.

Then you must prepare the documents especially the financial requirements for the extension of the non-immigrant O visa to a one year marriage visa. The extension will take place on the last 30 days of the 90-permit to stay or there should be 21 days left on the current permit to stay. The visa extension application will be submitted to the Immigration office.

Note: The foreigner on a Visa Exemption stamp or a tourist visa can still apply for a marriage visa given that the foreigner has already met the requirements for the non-immigrant O visa and for the one year extension visa applications. This can be done at the immigration office in Thailand.

REMINDERS TO THE THAILAND MARRIAGE VISA HOLDERS:

This is a requirement in maintaining your marriage visa. You would need to notify the nearest Immigration office regarding your current residence every 90 days. However, if you are not in the country when the report is due, the counting for the 90-days will start again after the 90-day reporting or upon entry to Thailand.

If you plan to travel in and out of Thailand within a year, it’s advised that you obtain a multiple re-entry permit. However, if you plan to stay in Thailand the whole time a single entry will do. But, in case you would need to leave the country for any reasons then you would need to apply a re-entry permit at the nearest Immigration Office or at the international airport before leaving the country. This way your visa won’t get cancelled.

The marriage visa is valid for a year but you can renew it by presenting the same requirements the first time you applied. However, the funds in your bank account must be at least 3 months old before your can renew your visa.

1. 90-day Reporting

2. Re-entry Permit

3. Bank Account

In the event of divorce, the validity of your marriage visa may be forfeited and you will have to leave the country immediately. Sometimes, you will be allowed to stay in the country until the expiration of your current marriage visa.

No wonder so many people get confused about the correct terminology when applying for visas / extensions after reading on a reputable website:

'Conversion of Non-immigrant Visa to Marriage Visa in Thailand'

It comes of no surprise to me that other things are possibly wrong or misguiding.

Personally, I will always check with the Gov. office concerned about any matter that I require information and go with their guidance regardless. After all, they will be the one making the decision. JMO.

• Like 1

That is anybodies guess. Mostlikely the person replying used his memory, that is not always reliable.

Rules can be found here: http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/index.php?app=core&module=attach&section=attach&attach_id=153821

2.18 for marriage, if I can trust my memory.

Yes Mario i Know this one toooo, but I do not understand and I understand the following sentece..

In other necessary circumstances, The Immigration Commissioner or Deputy of Immigration Commissioner may approve on case to case basis.

As I understand it... They can do what they want to do...

Yes Mario i Know this one toooo, but I do not understand and I understand the following sentece..

In other necessary circumstances, The Immigration Commissioner or Deputy of Immigration Commissioner may approve on case to case basis.

As I understand it... They can do what they want to do...

That is only for 5. of the clause for those getting extension based upon having a Thai child. It means they can reduce the financial requirements for special cases.
  • Like 1

Because they are not familiar with doing extensions of stay based upon marriage. Most just handle business extensions and etc,

As far as I know a combination of income and money has never been allowed.

I think the only combination allowed at one time was joint income from husband wife but that was changed a good few years ago.

Now even if your wife earns a high salary (six figure salary) it cannot be used for income proof.

• Like 1

2.18 sub 6 clearly states it is 40,000 income OR 400,000 in the bank

Per above, the rules give in case of ahving a Thai child to consider special cases, but that will have to be decided by the top brass. The regular immigration captain dealing with your application cannot sign of on it.

• Like 1

AND just to confuse you all the Bangkok Immigration used to accept a combination of money in the Bank together with monthly income. I know because my wife and I obtained my annual extension using that method for two to three years. But then a new Immigration Boss arrived and stopped it. Of course the Thai Visa Lawyer forgot to tell me it had been stopped and my application was rejected. My pension at that time was not enough and I had to find extra money to get the Bank back up to Baht 400,000.- plus of course the extra costs to obtain a new Visarolleyes.gif.pagespeed.ce.hZ59UWKk-s.gif

So the answer is that it used to be allowed up to about three years ago even though the actual rules didn't allow it!

You got that wrong. The day the rules changed in 2008, the Bangkok immigration office implemented the new rules. Nothing to with the change of "boss"

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Because they are not familiar with doing extensions of stay based upon marriage. Most just handle business extensions and etc,

As far as I know a combination of income and money has never been allowed.

-------------------

That's true.

It is not allowed for marriage extensions.

It is however allowed for retirement extensions.

Different things, different rules.

AND just to confuse you all the Bangkok Immigration used to accept a combination of money in the Bank together with monthly income. I know because my wife and I obtained my annual extension using that method for two to three years. But then a new Immigration Boss arrived and stopped it. Of course the Thai Visa Lawyer forgot to tell me it had been stopped and my application was rejected. My pension at that time was not enough and I had to find extra money to get the Bank back up to Baht 400,000.- plus of course the extra costs to obtain a new Visarolleyes.gif.pagespeed.ce.hZ59UWKk-s.gif

So the answer is that it used to be allowed up to about three years ago even though the actual rules didn't allow it!

I think you are mistaken in saying it was a combination of income and money. There was a 2 year period (2006-2008 ) when you could use your income and your wife's income to reach 40k baht. Edited by ubonjoe

I think you are mistaken in saying it was a combination of income and money. There was a 2 year period (2006-2008 ) when you could use your income and your wife's income to reach 40k baht.

Or a combination of you and your Wife's bank book to make up the 400,000 in the bank.

(2006-2008 and does not apply now)

(6) In case of the applicant who is

married to a Thai wife, one of them

or both of them need to have the

total annual income that is

averaged out not less than 40,000

Baht per month. Except for the case

that the said foreign national has

entered Thailand before this Order

is enforced and the foreign national

has been permitted to stay in the

Kingdom by the result of having