PM Yingluck vows assistance to flood-hit people nationwide

webfact

PM Yingluck vows assistance to flood-hit people nationwide
By English News

13806946909805.jpg

BANGKOK, Oct 2 – Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra today promised to look closely at the plight of flood-hit people who will be granted financial rehabilitation assistance.

She said she directed the Disaster Prevention and Mitigation Department to survey flood damage as the government is ready to help to those whose properties were damaged inundation – as it did after the massive floods in 2011.

She would not say if a household would be entitled to a Bt5,000 rehabilitation fund but emphasised that an initial assessment of the damage is needed.

Regarding flood prevention for the capital, the prime minister said the governors of the flood-hit provinces were collaborating with the Bangkok Metropolitan Administration (BMA) while the government was managing water flow from the North so that Bangkok’s drainage system would not be overloaded.

Interior Minister Charupong Ruangsuwan has regularly coordinated with provincial governors and the BMA’s Department of Drainage and Sewerage to ensure synchronised water management, said Ms Yingluck.

She admitted that Bangkok’s suburban areas could be flooded when typhoons move into Thailand’s lower Central Plains but gave assurances that anti-flood agencies will work in full force and a special command centre has been set up to address to high-risk areas.

On the formation of a water ministry, she said the government was mulling the plan but such a ministry would not materialise unless the operations of all water-related agencies are integrated.

“Let us solve the water problems and discuss from the available information to determine if we are ready for a ministry. It would be ideal to have all water-related agencies under one roof,” she said. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2013-10-02

Interior Minister Charupong Ruangsuwan has regularly coordinated with provincial governors and the BMA’s Department of Drainage and Sewerage to ensure synchronised water management, said Ms Yingluck.

She admitted that Bangkok’s suburban areas could be flooded when typhoons move into Thailand’s lower Central Plains but gave assurances that anti-flood agencies will work in full force and a special command centre has been set up to address to high-risk areas.

What is the point in listening to anything this woman has to say about anything. She openly contradicts herself minute by minute. Please define 'suburban'? Is there any such definition in Bangkok where there are houses next to skyscrapers. Does she mean outside the downtown? Well Bangkok is pretty clearly defined isn't it?

What I like least is the first part you quoted, sounds like they will let others stay flooded longer so BKK does not get to much water. I know how frustrating that was from 2011 when I was flooded.. our water going no where because of BKK.. So i can understand their frustration.... water must flow.

When you can prove that you were flooded a minimum of 1 meter high for 2 successive weeks you qualify for a one-time payment of THB 5000 plus a plastic bag with one pack of instant doSodles per household member, each pack bearing Khun Thaksin's smiling face with an original encouraging "thumbs-up" quote or an expression of compassion. If you can prove 1,50 meter flooding for two weeks you will additionally get a free DVD with Khun Thaksin's greatest karaoke hits (Let It Be etc.) live on the Red Stage.

This is total nonsense.

About what can be expected.................

When you can prove that you were flooded a minimum of 1 meter high for 2 successive weeks you qualify for a one-time payment of THB 5000 plus a plastic bag with one pack of instant doodles per household member, each pack bearing Khun Thaksin's smiling face with an original encouraging "thumbs-up" quote or an expression of compassion. If you can prove 1,50 meter flooding for two weeks you will additionally get a free DVD with Khun Thaksin's greatest karaoke hits (Let It Be etc.) live on the Red Stage.

Actually, Thaksin's smiling face on the bags of mama noodles is accentuated not by a thumbs up gesture, but with the 3 finger "I love you" gesture to re-enforce his "I'm just like you regular guys"... "I share your pain" (except he's not there and he's a multi-billionaire and doesn't share a single common trait with any of you) ... his "I'm just a man of the people" delusion.

13804213081380421367.jpg

• Like 1

When you can prove that you were flooded a minimum of 1 meter high for 2 successive weeks you qualify for a one-time payment of THB 5000 plus a plastic bag with one pack of instant doSodles per household member, each pack bearing Khun Thaksin's smiling face with an original encouraging "thumbs-up" quote or an expression of compassion. If you can prove 1,50 meter flooding for two weeks you will additionally get a free DVD with Khun Thaksin's greatest karaoke hits (Let It Be etc.) live on the Red Stage.

This is total nonsense.

Dear Phil,

of course you do know better:

The affected households would get about Bt5,000 each, Payungsak said after a meeting with the government's rehabilitation committee chaired by Deputy Prime Minister and Commerce Minister Kittiratt Na-Ranong.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/510864-bt5000-compensation-for-each-flood-affected-household/

"Posted 2011-11-08 06:56:18"

To say nothing of the noodles...

But as it is getting increasingly difficult to defend this [self censored] government, I can understand that you go for the cheap arguments. So would I.

The PM the people elected and trust offers help. Floods are a seasonal event.

She will annihilate the opposition in the next election too however much more the oppositon try to spend in procuring votes and MPs. People reading the Bangkok centric print propaganda rags dont get it. There is a good reason why people vote for and like the Thaksin parties and it has to do with policies that other parties cannot replicate. A few flood hardships that people are used are not going to change that, and anyway the impact of floods upcountry has become worse since Bangkok was walled off and floods were no longer allowed there a decade or so ago and of course that mitigates away form those trying to blame the PTP.

Oh plus if the courts decide to put the boot in on the PTP either over their charter or infrastructure plans their majority will get even bigger and maybe on a mandate of dissolving all those bodies.

The real issues are political conflict between a party backed by a huge groundswell of the poor (for whatever reason) and a traditional elite used to controlling the political arena via bureaucratic bodies for the benefit of an oligarchy who cannot compete within a democratic system but who have used the bureaucracy to institute a system of bodies to protect their interests from democratic control. Pretty much everyone in Thailand knows this but the media an delite will go bonkers if anyone actually says it loudly and the utterly useless English language media would never mention it (excepting the occasional English language Khao Sod or Prachathai article which are basically hardly read.)

Interesting times for those who like to follow politics and particularly historians who in this day and age probably do no get other chances to see vestiges of feudalism in action.

let people get government they voted for I used to care but after 20 years here can't be bothered with poor anymore thye deserve what they voted for. I used ot despise the ho sos but now understand why they treat poor like they do. Ive tried to help but just get spat opon by poor and they think im stupid to pay decent wages then they stole, cheated and except for one took the total piss . The one in 20 years is now on around 25k baht a month plus perks. I still try but all so far except one has been booted out after a few months even though I still pay minimum 12000 a month with promise if they work they will do well . After a few months they are cheating, lying steeling and so out - ver sad. My one good worker 9in 20 years has also given up) has convinced me to just play game and will save me a fortune and so now i wont to care but wont and he gets workers for 150 baht a day. I make more he makes more and poor can go vote for clowns for all I care.

A tale from the real life in Thailand, to illustrate how much politicians really care about people!sad.png

Close to where my inlaws live between Buriram and Surin, really in the sticks, there is a dam. Just a small local dam. 10 days ago the local administration decided to release water from dam. Result: 2 small hamlet heavyly flooded and crops destroyed. When complaining to the amphur, the answer they got: Oh sorry, we had forgotten, that there were people living in that area! whistling.gif Okay we are talking small villages, maybe 50 households together, but with a school, and the politicians had forgotten, that they even existed !

I am sure, that my wifes brother, who had 50 rai of rice destroyed, will be very greatful for a 5.000 baht compensation. NOT!!

So forget all the excuses and promises you will hear from those in power over the next couple of months.

Fact is: With their inaction and theft, they are ruining the livelyhood of many people!

Yes indeed, and these are the livelihoods of the very people who are their main support base. These villagers have the option of ousting this government; if they choose not to, then they have little right to complain about the consequences.

You get what you vote for....!

This is total nonsense.

It's quite true - I have the DVD. It was delivered by red boat (paint still wet) and is the limited edition "f#$% your mother" version.

She will annihilate the opposition in the next election too however much more the oppositon try to spend in procuring votes and MPs. People reading the Bangkok centric print propaganda rags dont get it. There is a good reason why people vote for and like the Thaksin parties and it has to do with policies that other parties cannot replicate. A few flood hardships that people are used are not going to change that, and anyway the impact of floods upcountry has become worse since Bangkok was walled off and floods were no longer allowed there a decade or so ago and of course that mitigates away form those trying to blame the PTP.

Oh plus if the courts decide to put the boot in on the PTP either over their charter or infrastructure plans their majority will get even bigger and maybe on a mandate of dissolving all those bodies.

The real issues are political conflict between a party backed by a huge groundswell of the poor (for whatever reason) and a traditional elite used to controlling the political arena via bureaucratic bodies for the benefit of an oligarchy who cannot compete within a democratic system but who have used the bureaucracy to institute a system of bodies to protect their interests from democratic control. Pretty much everyone in Thailand knows this but the media an delite will go bonkers if anyone actually says it loudly and the utterly useless English language media would never mention it (excepting the occasional English language Khao Sod or Prachathai article which are basically hardly read.)

Interesting times for those who like to follow politics and particularly historians who in this day and age probably do no get other chances to see vestiges of feudalism in action.

What a lot of propaganda! The current titled PM/DM was not elected by anybody. She was put in place by her brother who owns the political party that polled 48% of the votes cast.

Do you think she will be allowed to stand as leader at another election? Will big brother be back, or big sister take over. Or will the surrogate continue?

PTP have delivered very little, if anything to benefit the poor, whilst enjoying "all the advantages" of office to the full and extreme. A mandate to dissolve the courts - are you serious? Of course any wannabe dictator would love to do just that. But, PTP are scared to go for a referendum on charter and constitution change because they're worried they might not be able to fix the result they want.

You are right about the feudalism and hierarchical control perpetuated by successive governments. Historically its like Tzarist Russia - keep the masses uneducated and under the thumb. Control by the "aristocracy" or wealthy families. Western Europe was (is?) the same in the 18th and 19th centuries. The revolutions of Lenin, Mao, Castro, Pol Pot, and other similar "peoples democracies" were going to change all this. But, instead, they got new dictators and new "families" controlling and enslaving them. Only the new ones all claimed to be "men of the people, against the hi-so"s " etc but then took away all liberties and the right to express different views and criticize. And the poor peoples' lot never improved. Ah, yes, the historical similarities are very clear.

Smart people will always fix a problem

Not so smart people will prey it goes away or deny its an issue

Yingluck should sack anyone that has informed her that there is no flood or has downplayed it. The Thai people do not need these types in office.

So that alright then. No mention of the 350 big ones that I can see. Once more unto the well?

None so blind as those who cannot see.