Shipping Macbook and Ipad to the states from Bangkok

JosBKK

Anybody have any experience with doing such a thing? I bought both of these in the states and brought them here but I'm about to go backpacking and then return to the USA and I want to ship them back.

Is this even possible?

What costs will I be looking at?

A trusty safe mail service you recommend?

Personal experiences or anything I should know?

Thanks

If I were you I would try to sell the Macbook & iPad before leaving and buying a new one in the US.

I sold an old white Macbook at a Apple re-seller shop and got 14,000 baht - not bad for a machine that was 4 yrs. old.

I have just Fedexed a laptop to US before. There's more to it than Fedex in Bangkok told me about and the item was held in Alaska customs indefinitely until all correct US import documents received. Related to import of radio equipment etc... It is possible, but need everything just right for US customs. Fedex were very cooperative sorting it all out by email to me. If I was travelling there, which I wasn't so had to Fedex, I would carry the items myself and store them locally whilst back packing.

To answer the question, sure I'd suggest the top shipping methods FedEx, UPS, DHL. With that weight and insurance, I can see it being a pretty penny.

As another user suggested, I'd sell it. Either classified on here or craigslist which is used by a lot of westerners.

For what its worth, YeaBiGgiEs is going to the USA in 5 weeks, if you could coordinate it with someone to meet me or drop off in either NYC, Jersey Shore, Philadelphia, 95 south-bound to Miami, Fort Lauderdale, Floridas Turnpike from Broward to Orlando, Orlando, Floridas Turnpike from Orlando northbound to 75 northbound to Georgias 85 northbound to Atlanta, Georgia. Yes I'm a stranger but we are all people behind these names. Just an offer, thats just the type of person I am. Message me here

Why ship, carry it back with you. However several times I have mailed laptops, notebooks and smart phones. I used regular mail (no insurance)

in original packaging and have never had any trouble. Takes a little longer but a lot cheaper.

If I were you I would try to sell the Macbook & iPad before leaving and buying a new one in the US.

I sold an old white Macbook at a Apple re-seller shop and got 14,000 baht - not bad for a machine that was 4 yrs. old.

That is a good idea. I have found that EMS is better all around, go to the main post office.

The Thai Post Office is dependable, just register and insure it . make sure you fill out the Customs Paperwork and there is someone at the residence to sign for it - or strike up an aquainrtence with someone in the US Embassy and they can mail it for you thru thr APO, don't say I sent you (hahaha)