Strange Creature From Thailand

Nlscrrdhnds

I have read a story from Thailand about a creature that resembles an old lady with long black hair, backwards feet, hands with fingers that are clumped together like a lobster's, eyes that are shaped vertically, and pale skin who takes children and lives in the forest of Southeast Asia. I heard that there is no English name for "her", but this story was very interesting, and I would like to know the name of this creature so that I can look up more information about "her".

Her name is Bullshit

Which is mostly what comes out of your mouth.. :D

totster :D

But you never heard me talk before :D

figuratively speaking... of course.. :o

totster :D

ps.. Hi Torny.. nice to see ya again !

thank you kind sir. Im not back for long though as Im moving to the boonies (not with Boon Mee), so unsure when I can get a sat hook up. Im here all week.

Phuket is getting a tad to full for this little tornado.

I have read a story from Thailand about a creature that resembles an old lady with long black hair, backwards feet, hands with fingers that are clumped together like a lobster's, eyes that are shaped vertically, and pale skin who takes children and lives in the forest of Southeast Asia. I heard that there is no English name for "her", but this story was very interesting, and I would like to know the name of this creature so that I can look up more information about "her".

It is a Thai legendary figure called something like 'Si ouee', a human sopposed to life in the forests alone who steal children to eat their hearts.

You may be thinking of Nang Naak, a popular character in Thai folklore.

"Likewise, the detailed background of Nang Naak also varies from one tale to another, from being an ordinary farm girl to the daughter of the village chief. Nonetheless, her doomed fate and horrible deed stay the same. It begins as a love story. A teenage girl named Naak falls deeply in love with a handsome young man, Nai Maak. Some sources state that the couple are childhood lovers who grow up together, while another version take on the more tragic flavor of "Romeo and Juliet" in which their romance is opposed by Nang Naak's wealthy and powerful father, for Maak is of poorer and lower origin. No matter how harsh or smooth the situation is, they eventually manage to be together. Shortly after they get married, Nai Maak is conscripted for military service, involuntarily leaving his pregnant bride behind with tear and fear. The dutiful wife waits for her lover's return, but that day never comes in her lifetime. Haplessly, Nang Naak dies during labor along with her unborn child. Although they are buried instantly according to local tradition, her strong spirit refuses to perish. When Nai Maak comes back from the war, the ghost of Nang Naak disguises herself and her "infant son" as humans. Their uncanny reunion is sweet but brief. Despite her arduous effort to blind Nai Maak to reality, Nang Naak cannot prevent him from learning the truth of her death. The revelation itself provides one of the most memorable scenes in the story when Maak sees his wife grotesquely stretching her arm through the floorboard of their elevated house to pick up a fallen lime, or a knife in another version, on the ground."

http://asiarecipe.com/thainangnak.html

cv

I like that story. It has imagination, supernatural power, love gained and lost and regained, etc. Surely it beats watching another installment of "Rambo Destroys All of Shanghai" or "Terminator Fifteen," where even the special effects merely highlight how the hero kills a hundred men while driving an indestructible motor vehicle through 18 traffic wrecks, while sustaining ten lethal injuries which only ruffle his hair.

I googled Thai ghosts and this is what I found.:

A Guide To Thailand's Ghosts and Spirits

The Thai spirit world is populated by a plethora of ghosts, ghouls and demons - some good, some harmful, and some openly dangerous. Among the most interesting are:

Phi Peta - A hungry ghost. Everyone who is preoccupied with material attachments to the exclusion of the spiritual will be reborn as a Peta, having a giant belly and an mouth as small as the eye of a needle. Peta may sometimes be heard whistling at night, looking for people to make merit for them. This ghost is relatively harmless.

Phi Am - A ghost which sits on the chest or liver of sleepers, causing discomfort. It can be harmful.

Phi Chamob - A ghost which haunts the place where a woman has died in the jungle. This spirit does not do any harm.

Phi Ha - The spirit of a woman who has died in childbirth. This ghost is considered to be very violent.

Phi Krahang - This ghost appears as a man with feathers and a tail like a bird. It eats filth and glows at night. An unpleasant and frightening spirit.

Phi Krasy - This ghost lives inside a witch and leaves her body during sleep by way of the mouth. The Krasy is the colour of fire, has a head the size of an electric light bulb and a half-metre long bluish tail. A Krasy ghost likes dirt and does not generally harm human beings, although when it consumes entrails (hardly surprisingly) it can cause death. Krasy witches have a sleepy appearance during the day. Their eyes don't blink and they can never look anybody in the face. Also, they don't cast any reflection in the mirror. Before Krasy witches can die, they have to find somebody who will inherit the Krasy by consuming some of the old witch's spittle.

Phi Lok - A ghost which haunts various localities. It frightens and misleads people, and can be seen as well as felt.

Phi Phrai - The spirit of a woman who has died in childbirth and whose body has been used to make phi thai hong lotion. A sorcerer must hold a candle under the corpse's chin, and from the resultant melted oil essences are manufactured which drive men mad and attract women.

Phi Tai Ha - The spirit of a woman who has died of malaria. The ghost will also spread this disease.

Phi Thuk Khun - The substance of a living person which has to be sent out on astral journeys every week, or harm will come to its owner,

Phi Khamod - A spirit in the shape of a red star which, like a Will o' the Wisp, misleads wanderers.

Phi Nang Tani - A female tree spirit which is essentially beneficent and may fill the alms bowls of itinerant monks.

Phi Pa - A forest spirit. Hunters may leave a piece of the foot, lip, tongue or eyelid of a killed animal to show respect to this spirit.

Phi Poang Khang - A spirit in the shape of a black monkey which likes to suck the big toe of people sleeping in the jungle. It is said to live near salt licks.

Phi Ka - These spirits are inherited through women and can be contagious. The Ka, if not properly treated (with raw eggs) will attack and possibly possess people without the owner's knowledge. Perhaps understandably, ordinary people are said to be reluctant to marry into Ka clans!

Phi Hai - Hungry, amoral spirits associated with places where people have died an unnatural or violent death. Phi Hai are easily offended, and take every opportunity to possess people. Normally, they can be induced to leave their victim if suitable offerings are made, but on occasions an exorcist has to drive them out. In such cases, when incantations and lustral water prove insufficient, a whip may need to be employed.

Phi Pob - A malicious and very dangerous spirit which manifests itself as a beautiful woman. Phi Pob float through the air because they have no legs or lower body. They generally appear as a length of internal organs and intestines suspended from a strikingly lovely face - therefore, beware beautiful women gliding mysteriously by in long dresses! This type of ghost is probably more feared than any other species in Thailand.

Clearly, there can be no doubt that belief in ghosts and spirits remains widespread throughout Thailand. Indeed, there are now (covertly) thought to be more types of spirit at large than there were when Chiang Dao was founded. Chinese "bouncing" ghosts have long been a staple of Thai television and children's fantasy. Muslim ghosts have appeared which can be driven off by flourishing a piece of pork (preferably a pig's head) at them, and even vampires have made the long journey from Transylvania to Thailand. In this age of mass communication and international tourism, ghosts too - or so it would seem - have become world travellers!

Text copyright © Andrew Forbes / CPA 2003.

This article was originally published in the Bangkok Post.

Nang Nak has been made into a film several times. Some of them dire. Nonzee Nimibutr's version which was a smash in 1999 is the best.

Spot on. That is a cracking version of the story, one of my favourite Thai films.

I agree, one of my favourite Thai movies.

Nang Nak has been made into a film several times. Some of them dire. Nonzee Nimibutr's version which was a smash in 1999 is the best.

Spot on. That is a cracking version of the story, one of my favourite Thai films.

But did you guys visit the real place where it all happens?

FYI, It's at Prakhanong Bangkok (do a google search for more info, if you're interested)

Explorer :o

Phi Peta - A hungry ghost. Everyone who is preoccupied with material attachments to the exclusion of the spiritual will be reborn as a Peta, having a giant belly and an mouth as small as the eye of a needle. Peta may sometimes be heard whistling at night, looking for people to make merit for them. This ghost is relatively harmless.

I wonder of this is why my wife gets upset if I whistle at night ???? :o She says it is "bad luck"....

But did you guys visit the real place where it all happens?

FYI, It's at Prakhanong Bangkok (do a google search for more info, if you're interested)

Explorer :o

I'm pretty sure that it's near Wat Mahabut, on the Mae Nam Prakhanong, not far from On Nut Soi 7. Although the area around the Wat is supposed to me haunted, it's also supposed to be a lucky place for pregnant women!