Thai flood: Picture of devastation emerges

webfact

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In many cases the flooding is in areas where there were no problems or previous history of flooding.. coupled with the fact, the houses were in many cases built by developers with no local knowledge of the terrain and the possibility of flooding, land slips etc. Hence the victims are not victims of their own short sighted polices but the unknowing victims of a rampant uncontrolled housing and factory development plan designed by profit motivated people who have no concern other than the profit motive and to hell with the consumers future.

Sadly the average person is not endowed with the wisdom of the Oracles of the Temple of Delphi which you seem to possess.

Along with your presumed attributes outlined above many of those people have not, nor do dine on battery acid, vinegar and lime juice as their daily repast.

Indeed the milk of human kindness does seem somewhat soured in your dry as a bone house

I've been avoiding buying houses on flood plains for the past 20 years in the UK.

Just as well, as you can no longer insure such a house.

A little bit of common sense goes a long way.

• Like 2

Nobody is ever forced to build a house where it floods every year.

It is personal choice, and the government should not be involved.

If they had built a traditional house on stilts, no problem.

I see you have been roundly slammed for your opinion. While I don't agree with what / how you wrote for the individual who is now suffering, there is a point for all governments in here. We have these same issues in the USA. People moving into flood plains, or on barrier island beaches, forest fire prone areas, tornado prone areas. However, some state and local governments both educate and require certain building standards, such as if you live in an area prone to ocean surges, you must build your house on pilings with the living quarters "x" amount of feet above the ground. If you live in in a hurricane prone or tornado prone area, you may have certain requirements as to how your house is put together etc. The government of Thailand after adequately putting together a flood prevention plan (don't laugh) should put together building requirements for those wanting to build in flood prone areas and enforce it (again, don't laugh). Can't build here, can build here but house must be on pilings etc. Wishful thinking I know but this does work. My parents who lived on a barrier island in NJ, build their home to specifications from a community in Florida where they used to vacation. When hurricane Sandy hit, all the houses surrounding theirs were destroyed but their old home was left standing with very little damage.

Edited by kamahele
  • Like 1

sure, and the almighty "developed" 1st world doesn't have floods, nuclear disasters, greed, corruption, poverty, incapable politicians, lies and backstabbing...

i'm not saying thailand is great, but which country, which political system, in fact everything ruled/managed by humans is ?

When you suffer any calamity, we'll remember not to get involved-it is your problem, not ours. Heed your own words.

Do go back and report 52's post again. It comprises of three sentences. Read each one in turn, pause between sentences, and ask yourself if you can disagree with the message that the sentence carried. Does 52 anywhere in his post indicate a lack of sympathy? Does he imply that the wretched souls experiencing a personal tragedy should be left to sort it out in isolation?

By my reading the answer is in the negative.

The import of the post rightly points out that who are suffering have, in a small way, themselves to blame by contributing to their misfortune. I realise that accepting even a soupçon of personal responsibility is not a Thai trait. I hope and suspect that 52, like the majority here, possesses more than a shred of humanity and is saddened by this appalling and avoidable disaster.

BTW did you refrain from making an adverse comment when the super new airport was built on a swamp?

• Like 2

This will keep reoccuring. We have seen the pattern. Look at the past to know the future. It would take a revolution to kick out the oligarchies and start fresh. Billions of baht into flood prevention that has not materialized. The locals would have to unify and stand up.

This isn't a place in which the people have that level of knowledge nor courage even if they did know how badly they are shafted by a feudal oligarchy.

Someone once said (forgot who) that a revolution is needed every second generation.....

Karma is a biatch

Vote PTP and you get to live under water

Vote for the Democrats and be happy, save from all harm and been taken care of at all times!

Reality is a bitch, too!

Yes, everything was perfect under the Democrats. No corruption, Thai education rated number 1 in Asia, everything peaceful in the south........or maybe same same
  • Like 1

Hopefully compensation will be paid alot quicker than last time. Some of my wifes friends in Rangsit are still waiting for the promised payout after the 2011 flood.

Sent from my GT-I9003 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

same here

seems the money could have been paid but the local mayor didnt find the time to hand it on

all seems above board

It's completely idiotic to expect Asia and Thailand to become flood free, here's a photo taken on the Mekong in June........

954711_545566645481662_689460014_n.jpg

The high water mark was at least 1.6 metres above the June median, I cannot begin to estimate how much rainfall would be required to raise the river to that level.

Here's a photo of the Mae Sai river in June also.........5.00pm.

969151_560444990660494_2009931178_n.jpg

Next morning after a 2 hour storm, 8.00am

1002983_560444347327225_221389622_n.jpg

You can see the tree archway from the first photo has basically disappeared.

The water volume is immense, Mother Nature is struggling as she has to keep up with the concrete jungles and deforestation. Just accept that many places in Thailand are built on a flood plain and stop moaning like dribbling kids.

Every time a new house is built, a new road constructed, it adds to the problem, it's as simple as that.....and as I said yesterday......the Thais keep saying,

"Bad for the towns, good for the fields", and........

"What we need to do to prevent flooding, we don't want to do, we don't want dams everywhere, you farangs just need to get over it".

They're right, get over it. Thailand floods annually, whoop de whoo, shock news eh?

Most likely..it is not so much about rains.... Let me tell you that if Bhumibol and Sirkit hydro electric power plant are operating at their maximum capacity the combined dischagre is could be as high as 4 hours heavy downpour that you have seen. Now what happen if the run the plants the same way every single day over the last one month? It is not too hard for every body to predict.....Even with the abcent of rain the water level of the Chao Pharaya down to the south within 50-100km will be approaching the river banks limit.

You need three ingredients to "construct" a flood = High water level of river + heavy downpour over large catchment areas+ excessive stream flow. Prolong excessive releases of dams will make up two of the three "ingredients", namely high water level and excessive stream flow. Therefore the only missing "ingredient" will be heavy downpour.... Once the last "ingredient" is present therefore a flood will be sucessfully "constructed"...

I put my bet that there is no coordinated dams releases done by the authorities in Thailand. What they are doing at the moment is ad hoc approach without any clear objective about what they want to achieve. They just do it to show they do something helpful and hopefully the floods recede. That enables them to take credit. If they fail then they put the blame on rainfalls...

As I mentioned a few times in the past... There is no rational to release greater than average discharges from Bhumibol and Sirkit dams since the last 3 weeks...If they did they reduce the function of the two dams by 50%, since the main functions of the dams are to discharge water during drought and to hold and keep water during flood. They have released a lot during the last drough season.... If they still release it during flood season then what actually the dams are good at?

I can see from 1000km++ away what the authorities have done is not so much helpful. There is little element of "control". Many elements of hope and face saving.

In my humble opinion, Thailand really needs help. I hope she realize this by now. For her own good.

I think the above statement is one of the most nescient post I have seen on TVF. I am not flaming just making an observation.

NESCIENT! (Nesh-ent) "lacking knowledge, ignorant." I have a pretty fair vocabulary, and have never seen nor heard this word before. Brilliant!

And entirely correct in this case. Well played.

• Like 2

If this country were prone to earthquakes, many people on this blog would blame it on the PTP/Thaksin/Yingluck.

Floods here are going to keep happening. There isn't enough money in all of Asean to construct a Netherlands-style flood control system.

Floods here are going to keep happening. There isn't enough money in all of Asean to construct a Netherlands-style flood control system.

Indeed truer words have not been spoken.

The money has been channeled into the politicians pockets and no doubt been shipped abroad.

If this country were prone to earthquakes, many people on this blog would blame it on the PTP/Thaksin/Yingluck.

You cannot see the trees for the forest.....its not about the floods coming or going....its about what the numpties say about it

No problem if you don't mind swimming to 7 11, waterborne disease, car and motorcycle damage, general property damage, inacessibiliry to health care, food and supply shortage etc.

Congratulations on a poorly thought out callously disaffected post.

It won't be that expensive... The key strategy is "control and manage" the weakest components that made up flood "construction" equation........As I mentioned above three "ingredients" have to come together to make up a flood.... Take one link out...then the flood equation will become incomplete. This is like to prevent fire.... Take one element out of three the fire won't start.

Aside from the part about houses on stilts, with which I agree, you have got to be kidding.

Most of these people do not have much of a choice about where they live.

• Like 1

Aside from the part about houses on stilts, with which I agree, you have got to be kidding.

Most of these people do not have much of a choice about where they live.

Rubbish, unless you are in prison or the army, you always have a choice.

• Like 1

When you suffer any calamity, we'll remember not to get involved-it is your problem, not ours. Heed your own words.

Do go back and report 52's post again. It comprises of three sentences. Read each one in turn, pause between sentences, and ask yourself if you can disagree with the message that the sentence carried. Does 52 anywhere in his post indicate a lack of sympathy? Does he imply that the wretched souls experiencing a personal tragedy should be left to sort it out in isolation?

By my reading the answer is in the negative.

The import of the post rightly points out that who are suffering have, in a small way, themselves to blame by contributing to their misfortune. I realise that accepting even a soupçon of personal responsibility is not a Thai trait. I hope and suspect that 52, like the majority here, possesses more than a shred of humanity and is saddened by this appalling and avoidable disaster.

BTW did you refrain from making an adverse comment when the super new airport was built on a swamp?

There is no shred of humanity in the 3 sentences nor tone of care, not rocket science.

So tell me, when you are born into poverty, reduced to living in a slum or pontoon by the river, and you're totally destitute, I shall remember you are to blame and that you should be held responsible for your own oppression?

I made plenty of comments when the gov't set up shop at "swimming pool"

Edited by gemini81

People vote for inepts, they get inept government.

People build houses in flood plains, they get flooded.

Granted, some newly flooded areas weren't prone to flood in recent years. So, it's partly attributable to bad planning coupled with greedy real estate speculators (The Shinawatres are among the biggest real estate speculators in Thailand) who love to gobble up flat land (formerly rice farms) for a pittance, then cram 500 units per rai and cover everything green with concrete and asphalt. ....then, of course, sell it for a killing to whatever suckers who come along.

• Like 1

NO PROMPREM - do you underasatänd Misateh?

This time round though PTP and the Heroic Leader cannot blame anyone else but ....... the Weather gods. The opposition was out before the last floods and keeps remarkably quiet this time round.

Something big is cooking - I fear!

Something big is cooking - I fear!

Such as???

Disgraceful poor Thais have to suffer this flooding again and agin while the Thai fat cats go to their clubs, have their fancy lunches, chauffered cars, and go to hang around with other Thai fat cats and look at these photos of the helpless little people. It would be interesting to know how much flood charity money the Thai fat cats donate all the time and to which known charities?

Carefully nurturing the sabai saba, mai pen rai from birth so no one complains, backing it up with laws that protect them from complaints right or wrong you mustnt complain, accept your lot etc etc and on it goes.

In many cases the flooding is in areas where there were no problems or previous history of flooding.. coupled with the fact, the houses were in many cases built by developers with no local knowledge of the terrain and the possibility of flooding, land slips etc. Hence the victims are not victims of their own short sighted polices but the unknowing victims of a rampant uncontrolled housing and factory development plan designed by profit motivated people who have no concern other than the profit motive and to hell with the consumers future.

Sadly the average person is not endowed with the wisdom of the Oracles of the Temple of Delphi which you seem to possess.

Along with your presumed attributes outlined above many of those people have not, nor do dine on battery acid, vinegar and lime juice as their daily repast.

Indeed the milk of human kindness does seem somewhat soured in your dry as a bone house

I've been avoiding buying houses on flood plains for the past 20 years in the UK.

My Dads first words when buying a house, always buy on a hill.

• Like 1

Disgraceful poor Thais have to suffer this flooding again and agin while the Thai fat cats go to their clubs, have their fancy lunches, chauffered cars, and go to hang around with other Thai fat cats and look at these photos of the helpless little people. It would be interesting to know how much flood charity money the Thai fat cats donate all the time and to which known charities?

For some reason the French Revolution and the beheading of Marie Antoinette, come to mind.

I triple checked about flooding chances before we bought our house here in Chiang mai but many people never did and suffered the consequences in 2011 (not this year),even big money commercial estates experienced severe damages.

Search for higher odds withstanding and or avoiding flooding calamities is mandatory before settling somewhere is mandatory here in Thailand and even than you can't be sure, but in case you get hit anyway you don't have to blame your self for not doing your home work.

...the water stopped 2 meters from my front door last night...and was lapping at the back door due to poor drainage....

...Vibhavadi near Rama Garden Hotel...

....I hope that was the extent of the storm that hit Vietnam