Thai Talk: BAD HABITS that keep us underdeveloped

webfact

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good habits. Thais are always above board in their personal and business dealings. Their word is their bond. Charitable giving by the Thai rich is massive and publicly known. Thais take so much responsibility for their actions and behavior it makes others feel inferior. Thais never expect anything special or to be treated differently. Thai respect for law and rules of the road is amazing. Thais work very diligently , always deliver on promise, and know and understand the concept of achievement. Thais respect others in every endeavor especially the poor and foreign persons. Thais are extremely knowledgable and well read. Thais hold personal character and morality in very high esteem and would never sell out.

Outstanding, . . . .. as long as you are not being serious.

Did you think for a second he was?

• Like 2

Good habits. Thais are always above board in their personal and business dealings. Their word is their bond. Charitable giving by the Thai rich is massive and publicly known. Thais take so much responsibility for their actions and behavior it makes others feel inferior. Thais never expect anything special or to be treated differently. Thai respect for law and rules of the road is amazing. Thais work very diligently , always deliver on promise, and know and understand the concept of achievement. Thais respect others in every endeavor especially the poor and foreign persons. Thais are extremely knowledgable and well read. Thais hold personal character and morality in very high esteem and would never sell out.

Yep, spot on every point... 5555 cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gif

• Like 2

My Thai friends go out of their way to help each other. Just last night one of them went out of his way to give me a ride home. But sure there are some bad aspects in this Thai society.... Just like everywhere else. Example, traffic rage, killing, in USA. Patronage is a problem in Thai and other developing countries.

laugh.png Love it!

Major reason; they were never colonized and kicked up the ass. It's cute in a way and makes em somewhat unique, though also utterly nonsensical and cringeworthy at times.

(Thinking out loud)

Are we perhaps being unfair by assuming that different countries should aspire to be better.

There are many Thai features which are unique to Thailand. Are they to be removed to allow Thailand to join the modern world.

Thailand is brain-washed, so doesn't have the capacity for independent thought. They don't need to change because they feel being Thai is enough.

Being (unwelcome but spending) guests, should we be thinking about how Thailand can be better? Thailand is Thailand, perhaps we are trying to change something which ought not to be changed.

As I say, just rambling thoughts which challenge my own personal thoughts that Thailand needs to change for the benefit of Thais.

Thing is, most people know that time change. It is odd to see this desperate attempt to avoid changing anything.

• Like 1

Lol

• Like 1

"But I hope someone will post another message to extol the 10 national good habits that will override the eight bad ones - those good things that we Thais do every day that will one day make us a superpower."

I guess one of those 10 is: 'taking your time, not hurry', right?

• Like 1

Why should they change or do anything about it?

Seems to me most expats living in Thailand want to change the Thais and Thailand to be more like people and country they left behind, the same country and people they continually complain about...

Most people come/came here for the warm(er) weather, the pretty/prettier women (even if only to look at), the cheaper nightlife/dining out, being in a place where you don't understand everything that is being said so there's less to bother you.

Most don't know come for the things that only become evident, thus one becomes aware of, once one has stayed here for a certain period of time and that become disappointments: corruption, patronage system, lack of following rules and laws etc. It is relaxed to see motorcycle taxis on the sidewalk when walking about as a tourist: it becomes a nuisance when you have to stop for one almost every day while on your way to work. Just an example.

What is often said about Thais can also, to some extent, be said of foreigners: you can take the Thai <replace with any nationality> out of Thailand <replace with corresponding country>, but you cannot take Thailand <repeat other country> out of the Thai <repeat other nationality>.

• Like 2

Is that all? Some posters on TV just never want to give Thais enough praise.

Here's an idea..... if you don't like them more than this then go home. bah.gifbah.gifbah.gifbah.gifbah.gifbah.gifbah.gifbah.gifbah.gif

One of the first things Thailand must do ins reform its emigration policies to compete with the rest of the world. The present system is a hold over from the 1970s and they need to level the playing field so all can give back to Thai Society. There simply is no equality it the system. Too bad what a wasted resource for the country and the Thai people.

This is the Global Economy not just the Thai Global economy

Obviously Noitom has been here a while and even done some business here. I think everything is covered here in some way.

• Like 2

....abuse...bullying....coercion....even rape.... ...senior over junior.... ...and in society....the one with the 'bigger' or 'higher' connection prevails.... ...come a long way to some of the worst hypocrisy and corruption on the planet... ...and the wai...the smile...the apology make everything 'okay'....yeah, those are good ones too....

...that is not culture....it is lack of culture.....

...the way of the street dogs....

Edited by SOTIRIOS
  • Like 2

Bad behavior and unprofessional ethics start from the top

I find this true with many thai's in Tourist Area's. I live way in the sticks with the nearest farang living 15 killometers from me. I find the thai people to be honest,helpful and extreamly nice people.

• Like 2

One of the first things Thailand must do ins reform its emigration policies to compete with the rest of the world. The present system is a hold over from the 1970s and they need to level the playing field so all can give back to Thai Society. There simply is no equality it the system. Too bad what a wasted resource for the country and the Thai people.

This is the Global Economy not just the Thai Global economy

Certainly Thailand needs to embrace that there is a world outside of Thailand.

It seems that the Swampy tunnel of tourists is all Thais know of the non-Thai world. Any ideas about the origin of the tourists is mostly a mystery (I would guess)

Great satirical post and I agree with your general reverse sentiment.

But honestly, I look at my country and I see exactly the same shortcomings. I look at other countries in the west and I also see the same shortcomings.

Your post is similar to the Aussie v Kiwi joke, or the English v Wales joke where the punch line can be altered to deride either nationality depending upon the teller of the joke.

The western world has largely gone to hell in a handcart and ethics and morals died in the 60's and 70's.

Read Noitom's post again and insert YOUR COUNTRY'S name - see if you really think we are any better in the west, or are we really that smug that we think our own societies are utopia compared to Thai society. coffee1.gif

• Like 2

Seems to me most expats living in Thailand want to change the Thais and Thailand to be more like people and country they left behind, the same country and people they continually complain about...

Why shouldn't they? Change is natural, isn't it? Especially nowadays. The world is rapidly changing and getting smaller and if they want the outside world to take them seriously, a few(even minor)changes would benefit them as a society and as individuals.

Most people come/came here for the warm(er) weather, the pretty/prettier women (even if only to look at), the cheaper nightlife/dining out, being in a place where you don't understand everything that is being said so there's less to bother you.

Most don't know come for the things that only become evident, thus one becomes aware of, once one has stayed here for a certain period of time and that become disappointments: corruption, patronage system, lack of following rules and laws etc. It is relaxed to see motorcycle taxis on the sidewalk when walking about as a tourist: it becomes a nuisance when you have to stop for one almost every day while on your way to work. Just an example.

What is often said about Thais can also, to some extent, be said of foreigners: you can take the Thai out of Thailand , but you cannot take Thailand out of the Thai .

Certainly the original reasons for settling in Thailand become overtaken by greater realities.

One aspect that exasperates me personally is the obvious de-personalizing of students by insisting they wear name, school name and student number (in many, but not all cases) on their shirts. Why? An obvious constant wearing of uniforms, long after kicking out time. Initially it seemed quaint, a reflection of pride in one's educational establishment. Now I realise it is all part of the imposition of control through school years into employment.

I honestly question whether I would have chosen to support students if I knew they wouldn't be allowed to personally develop. It's an uphill struggle. The alternative is to write-off another life as another 'brick in the wall'. Thailand loves to be Thai.

Couldn't say it better, because I'm not as kind as you.

Edited by ABCer
  • Like 1