Thai Talk: BAD HABITS that keep us underdeveloped

webfact

Many people complain that foreigners think they are better or are wrong to comment about issues in Thailand because it is not their country. I say that is cobblers. Sure the Thais don't like being told they are doing something stupid, or things would be better another way and I am sure many people would feel similarly if the roles were reversed.

However I believe the Thais are a long way behind in many things and I think it is right to comment on it and try to change things for the better through discussions with others and examination of different opinions. I think the West is also a long way behind the Thais in some things too, politeness in relationships, respect for the family elders and supporting one another in the family for example.

I don't think they can offer anything about how to educate their children, national financial economics or anything that requires high level knowledge.

My children grow up in this society and I think I have a right to want it to be better and to say so. I would like to see some of the obviously better systems of government and law, education and maybe morals in business of the western nations, learnt from and improved here through open minded implementation. If wanting Thailand to improve is a bad thing then that is a very twisted point of view to adopt.

2 things that are to me not so good, that you said we could learn from, "Supporting one another in the family" mmmnnn,

In most cases the boy and girl after school are compelled to (send a large % of money that they earn working) to mother and father in repayment for their schooling over the years, this is common in rural areas.

The amount of stealing from family members is alarming, borrowing and never paying back. The family bond tends to be from mother father-grand parents there you can see support. Exploitation of kids by parents in rural areas. NOT ALL but majority.

It's interesting you referring to the problems of lending within families.

Recently, for the first time, I have witnessed first hand exactly what you are saying. Outside of the family, the term stealing is probably apt for borrowing and not repaying. However, whatever the label within a family it is still something which breeds bad feeling.

Periods of not talking when the subject of repayment is raised, plus, unbelievably, requests for further funds, which when refused cause more periods of non-contact.

It is a case of "it's such and such" on the phone - "how much do they want this time?".

I believe problems come down to money on many occasions. I can't really compare it to the UK. If you borrow from a friend or family member, I imagine I'm not in a minority when I believe it is important to clear the debt as soon as you are able.

At the risk of being accused of being a 'Thai Basher', I believe there is more of a "me" culture here. In my household reference to other people seems to invoke 'up to them', accompanied by 'up to me' to justify ones own actions. Mind you, doesn't stop a constant 'o, such and such's husband bought her a ......'.

If the family values seem to be on shaky foundations, I believe we're looking at a negative impact on Thai culture and its values.

I'm not being confrontational when I ask what the perceived Thai values are.

I honestly believe Thailand deserves to be Thailand, but I am floundering when I try to justify my beliefs.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic