Bangkok Police claim victory over car-park mafia

webfact

Police claim victory over car-park mafia
Phathinya Iamtan,
Anapat Deechuay
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- Police claim they have successfully cracked down on the illegal collection of parking fees in public spaces such as the Royal Plaza.

"I myself asked a tour-bus driver this morning and he said the illegal collection of parking fees ended several months ago," Pol Maj-General Adul Narongsak, a deputy Metropolitan Police commissioner, said yesterday.

Metropolitan Police Division 1, which covers the Royal Plaza, had looked into parking complaints but did not find any further suspicious activities, he said.

The information was corroborated by many sources, who say police have constantly arrested thugs charging "parking fees". Some people believed the problem would soon return, however.

Tour-bus operators said a man with a dark complexion aged around 45 has been pocketing Bt50-Bt100 per vehicle parked around the Royal Plaza, saying the money will go to "police".

Sources said that when graduation ceremonies and the Red Cross Fair are held nearby, mafia types would show up and extort money from motorists.

"They demand between Bt20 and Bt50 from motorcycle drivers and Bt120 and Bt200 from car drivers," a witness said.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-10-03

Crowing over this is complete bullsh#t.

It should never have been happening in the first place. And when it was first reported, the crims. and the Mr. Big should have been nicked and banged up in double quick time.

Trough <> Snout springs to mind.

sent from my hippo phone

"I myself asked a tour-bus driver this morning and he said the illegal collection of parking fees ended several months ago," Pol Maj-General Adul Narongsak, a deputy Metropolitan Police commissioner, said yesterday.

"He also said that this was well worth the 200 THB official protection fee".

• Like 1

Next, deal with the one at the airport multi-storey car park.

if they do...It will be when pigs soar above the parking structure...I do not mean the cops.

I am sorry if this hurts sensibilities of people who have invested effort and resources in this country but, one should not be in denial of the obvious.

Corruption is and institution in Thailand. As it is in most Third World countries.

'Tour-bus operators said a man with a dark complexion aged around 45 has been pocketing Bt50-Bt100 per vehicle parked around the Royal Plaza, saying the money will go to "police".'

It looks like the police wanted to cut out the middle man and keep it all for themselves.whistling.gifwhistling.gif

Road users, ever the milch cow.

It is nice to know that a Major General and deputy Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police gets his information about the state of play on his patch from a tour bus driver. Nothing like keeping your finger on the pulse.

• Like 1

Next, deal with the one at the airport multi-storey car park.

if they do...It will be when pigs soar above the parking structure...I do not mean the cops.

I am sorry if this hurts sensibilities of people who have invested effort and resources in this country but, one should not be in denial of the obvious.

Corruption is and institution in Thailand. As it is in most Third World countries.

You just ignore the guys at Suvarnabhumi and go park somewhere else.

It's not like the old days in Don Muang where the only way to get a parking space was with the "help" of one of the attendants.