District Office - is this a new general requirement?

cassde

I am a UK national and shortly to marry a Thai. I have obtained the Affirmation that I am free to marry a Thai National from the British Embassy. This has been translated and certified by the Thai Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

When my lawyer checked with two District Offices - Bangna and Phra Khanong - both stipulated that further documents were required, notably, a certified copy of my Passport, translated and certified by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs.

This is a new and recent requirement. It was explained to my lawyer that it was brought about by a farang getting married and using a counterfeit Passport.

When I visited the British Embassy in Bangkok to obtain the 'certification of my Passport' they were unaware of the apparent change and recommended that I go to a third District Office. I chose not to follow that advice because it would have cost more than the 1530 baht for the document.

Is this a new and valid change because if it is then the British Embassy needs to be told formally so that they change their printed advice on 'Marrying a Thai National'.

Not uncomment they ask for it, but not aware it is a requirement.

I would try to get married at Ban Rak in Bangkok, they marry a lot of foreigners.

You could inquire at DOPA, the ministry department that regulates the amphurs regarding the wedding register:

www.dopa.go.th They have an information number on their website.

• 2 weeks later...

Pathum Wan District also required this, no big deal. Get a photocopy of your passport picture page, have the Embassy stamp it - same way they do an affadavit - and then send it to get translated and then confirmed by the MFA. Australian Embassy charged me 800 Baht for it, so 1600 for the affadavit to say I was free to marry and the photocopy of the passport certified

Takes a couple of days if you pay someone to do it and you'll need to part with maybe 1000 Baht but can also be done in 24hrs or less by going to the MFA at Chaeng Wattana yourself.