Kratom to be removed from Thai narcotics list

webfact

Kratom to be removed from the narcotics list

krat.jpg
Kratom. Souce: file photo

BANGKOK, 3 October 2013 (NNT) - The Office of the Narcotics Control Board (ONCB) reaffirms that the planned removal of Kratom leaves from class 5 narcotics list will not affect its drug eradication efforts. Meanwhile, the Ministry of Justice is preparing to forward its suggestion to legalize use of Krathom to the Ministry of Public Health.

Justice Minister Chaikasem Nitisiri explained his ministry's stance on Kratom, saying that the leaf is part of several local lifestyles.

Kratom can be used as stimulants or processed into traditional medicines, as it possesses several scientific and medical ingredients.

Nonetheless, due to its effects on human neural system, Kratom leaves still have to be controlled, stated the Justice Minister.

The Ministry’s stance on Kratom together with supporting reasons and some control measures on the herb will soon be forwarded to the Ministry of Public Health.

Mr. Chaikasem, however, stated that the efforts to remove Kratom leaves from narcotics list cannot be continued if the Public Health Ministry does not give the green light on the matter.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-10-03 footer_n.gif

Too late for the lovely old Kratom trees felled in Phuket Town last year.

After this latest piece of 'war on drugs' foolishness, I researched it. It's been described as a mild stimulant from which tea is usually made. Hardly attractive to the Walter Whites of this world is it. Pass the DMT biggrin.png

Edited by jpeg

I just hope they start up some tea houses so those of us in pain can get a cup when ever the pain gets too much, way to go Thailand, shows you can do something right occasionallyclap2.gif , ok then, rarelyw00t.gif

Edited by seajae

According to Wikipedia, Kratom was "...originally banned because it was reducing the Thai government's tax revenue from opium distribution"

Maybe the government might like to look at legalising medical cannabis as it is easily grown in Thailand, has a huge number of health benefits (such as in MS, epilepsy etc. etc.) and it could bring down the state's pharmaceutical costs.

thumbsup.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifclap2.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

• Like 2

According to Wikipedia, Kratom was "...originally banned because it was reducing the Thai government's tax revenue from opium distribution"

Maybe the government might like to look at legalising medical cannabis as it is easily grown in Thailand, has a huge number of health benefits (such as in MS, epilepsy etc. etc.) and it could bring down the state's pharmaceutical costs.

Really ??.... think I have a bit of MS in me.

Re. the article's "Nonetheless, due to its effects on human neural system, Kratom leaves still have to be controlled, stated the Justice Minister."

With that logic the idiots should also "control" coffee, black tea and chocolate.

• Like 2

I just hope they start up some tea houses so those of us in pain can get a cup when ever the pain gets too much, way to go Thailand, shows you can do something right occasionallyclap2.gif , ok then, rarelyw00t.gif

I like the way the news article hailed and then disqualified with chastisement by the poster as being a rare occurrence. Many things are "done right" in this country. It's all in the eye of the beholder and a compliment is usually freely given without a qualifier.