Chiang Mai: Journalist 'intimidated' by illegal taxi service organiser

webfact

Journalist 'Intimidated' By Chiang Mai Taxi Organiser
By Khaosod Online

tax.jpg
Taxi drivers protesting hike in license fee at Chiang Mai Airport

CHIANG MAI: -- A reporter based in Chiang Mai province said he had been threatened by an organiser of the local illegal taxi service.

Previously, many news agencies in the province have reported about the so-called ′Black License Plate′ taxis which operate near Chiang Mai Night Bazaar. According to the reports, the taxi intrusively hawk their service to foreign tourists and charge them extortive fare later. The reports followed many complaints from the tourists.

Today, Mr. Manit Khemkham, 56, the deputy editor of Chiang Mai News, told police that he had been receiving threatening phone calls from Mr. Nirand Panarakworakul, who Mr. Manit said is the organiser of the illegal taxi group.

According to Mr. Manit′s statements to the police, Mr. Nirand told the reporter he would beat him up until he passed out. Mr. Nirand also allegedly threatened Mr. Manit that any news agency that continues to report about the taxi service would be attacked by "thugs".

The police said they will investigate the matter together with Chiang Mai Provincial Land Transport Office.

Mr. Chanchai Keelaplaeng, Directorate General of the provincial land transport, said that his authority had been alerted about the "taxi gang", and asked the police to arrest its members after they had threatened the journalists.

“Causing nuisances to the tourists and threatening journalists count as criminal offence. The police should respond to the gang behaviours, as they are tasked to do, in order to wipe out such problems” said Mr. Chanchai.

Source: http://www.khaosod.co.th/en/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRNNE1EYzVPVFl6TkE9PQ==

-- KHAOSOD English 2013-10-04

This poor journalist really has nothing going for him as he gets threatened by an illegal taxi operator and reports to police who are probably in league with the operator anyway.

The police will investigate, yes right.

• Like 2

It's inevitable, as tourists move north away from the scams of Phuket and Pattaya the scams will follow to prey and feed. Lets just hope that the authorities have observed the problems elsewhere and are 3 steps ahead to prevent this cancer spreading.

The scammers are already there and having been feeding for decades. It's just not as prevalent and 24/7 as those glorious centres of Thai culture and tradition you previously mentioned biggrin.png

receiving threatening phone calls

wonder if he recorded those calls...

Generally, a recorded conversation can't be used as evidence, unless secured under specific conditions by a law enforcement agency. A video conversation is quite different, but taking a video of a person threatening you is likely to bring forward the retribution.

Generally, a recorded conversation can't be used as evidence, unless secured under specific conditions by a law enforcement agency. A video conversation is quite different, but taking a video of a person threatening you is likely to bring forward the retribution.

Numerous Sms message threats to my cell phone were enough for the Thai Police to record them on an officers phone and call the ex-wife in for an interview, regarding the threats to my bodily person, and demands for money.

Edited by Colabamumbai

Legal evidence or not .... knowing that someone has a recording of you threatening them can be quite threatening itself.

That depends on the law in the country you're talking about.

• 2 months later...

Just another bit of bad reporting. These guys pictured are fine. I use them all the time if I get a taxi from the airport and I have never had a problem. They have nothing to do with the story. Protesting an increase in taxi fees is not the subject point, so why are they pictured as the villains?

• Like 1

The laws that might apply in your home country don't necessarily apply in Thailand...

I agree. "Evil triumphs where good men do nothing". No country should tolerate this and with an incompetent justice system, guys like this are only chance left. The vast majority of taxi drivers are fine. There is no need for any problem in Chiang Mai if you just ring the "taxi meter" number. Trusting someone hanging around the likes of the night bazaar is asking for trouble. It arguably could happen anywhere, but for a few to damage the reputation of the vast majority for the sake of their own greed is a really bad crime. It is bad for tourists and very bad for Thai people and for the country.

What the guy's doing is heroic, and deserves more attention than anything that's going on in BKK. If they stopped corruption and fraud at the lower levels, they wouldn't have the rampant problems they have in government.

Yes, every time I use a taxi from the airport in Chiang Mai, the driver is a dream. Chiang Mai Airport taxis in my experience...and I have lived here for 14 years....is a doddle to use. The price is set and it is always very reasonable. Mixing them up with a few con men working the night bazaar is terribly unfair. I just wish there were more "taxi meters" available, but that is down to the song teuo mafia,which is another story....along with a crying need for a proper bus system.. way off now!

Spike, I should have added that I think the metered Taxis are very reasonably priced and honest, and that it is a bit irresponsible to have the wrong photo in the write up.

Edited by SPIKECM

We might ask why they are described as "metered taxis" when in 5 years i have never had one who was prepared to put the meter on.

Compared with Bangkok CM taxis are far more expensive. One young,very pleasant guy explained to me that the meters were installed because that's the law but smiled when he said "but we never use them"

Taxi meters with a 35 baht flag fall is fantasy in Chiang Mai, as long as they are in short supply. Once there's enough of them, competition will increase and just maybe they'll put the meters on. Until then, it is a vast improvement to the previous situation and a big step in the right direction.

We might ask why they are described as "metered taxis" when in 5 years i have never had one who was prepared to put the meter on.

Compared with Bangkok CM taxis are far more expensive. One young,very pleasant guy explained to me that the meters were installed because that's the law but smiled when he said "but we never use them"