Retirement.......To Thailand.

theblether

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Been retired a couple of years or more now(Don't count the days anymore).

I am too busy enjoying doing what I have missed all my life before. Everyday I wake up knowing there is something to do around the place here..Great.

That to me is what I call fulfillment in later years of life. some see it different, but different things for different people....whatever makes you tick hey?

• Like 1

I love my career and I miss it daily - I can't fill 60 seconds without being bored these days. I scramble to find new hobbies that excite me. Personally under 50 was too early to settle into retirement whilst my Thai has taken to it like and duck to water.

The good news is it's been months since I awoke and got dressed for work :)

• Like 1

^^ Good thinking sir, you've obviously planned it out well.

I hope you are gentle with me if you ever achieve your ambition though biggrin.png

Yesssir... I'll put you on top of my charity-worthy farang list and will invite you for drinks from time to time, since I really enjoy reading your posts thumbsup.gifwai.gif

Edited by Swiss1960
  • Like 2

Something to remember.

If you plan to spend your retirement in Thailand then you need to meet the retirement income requirements. (which have never gone down)

If you haven't the means, or an effective plan to meet those requirements - then retirement in Thailand is not going to be a long term thing.

I've always had the impression that those who enjoyed work so much lacked the ability to make friends and had little imagination.

Work provides them with instant captive friends and something to do all day.

I am so busy, now retired, it doesn't seem possible that I once had time in my life for working.

@GS

I can live on 20,000bht/month but choose not to, and thankfully don't have to.

Edited by FiftyTwo

I've always had the impression that those who enjoyed work so much lacked the ability to make friends and had little imagination.

I am so busy, now retired, it doesn't seem possible that I once had time in my life for working.

@GS

This is an example of the misunderstanding we have amongst ourselves.

I'm sure your choice is right for you, it does not follow that people who choose to work are social misfits.

What's to love about sixty hour work weeks.

Only the paycheck.

Then early retirement.

It worked for me.

Also young enough to go back to the work place if I so wish.

Financial security is number one.

Question: If you could retire NOW, and afford to lead a reasonable life here in Thailand, without ever having to work again,(say around £20-25K P.A.).......How many of you who "LOVE MY JOB" would turn it down?....and Continue working?........and.....WHY?......I am genuinely interested to know.WPFflags.gif

I've always been a lazy git, so early retirement was a personal ambition from birth.

Been lucky in life and the cards have always fallen my way, so count myself lucky that I'm 98% retired and living the dream in Thailand. It has it's ups and downs as I'm sure it would in any country. Still have business interests but they're well managed by others - however I still have to do a lot of thinking and planning for them which keeps the brain ticking over on the golf course.

Two catch phrases come to mind about retirement, early or otherwise. "Nobody ever went to their grave wishing they'd spent more time at the office." And "I'm so busy in my retirement I don't know how the hell I found the time to ever go to work."

Both those apply to me - getting bored or getting out there and making the most of things is a lifestyle choice. I've generally found that those that choose boredom are miserable buggers and would be bored miserable buggers no matter where they lived.

@GS

This is an example of the misunderstanding we have amongst ourselves.

I'm sure your choice is right for you, it does not follow that people who choose to work are social misfits.

The way he phrases it "lacked the ability to make friends and had little imagination" almost sounds like a criticism, as if he's trying to put down people that enjoy their work. I'd like to think that was just poor phrasing, and not a product of his jealous nature

SC

One thing I learned a few years ago at a (military) retirement seminar. What things cost today, won't be the same as they'll cost in the future. You may think you are making enough retirement income to live on now, but as inflation grows and prices climb, 10, 15, 20 years in the future you may find it isn't enough.

At the seminar, they gave examples of prices for various items 20 years earlier (i.e. a liter of gas, pound of butter, loaf of bread, pack of cigarettes, etc) and what they cost currently. It was surprising to see just how high prices had gone up. Gas (petrol) alone had gone up something like 300+% over the previous 20 years in some places.

Some examples I pulled from a UK website today:

Item

1993 Price

2013 Price

% Change

1 litre of unleaded petrol

50p

£1.38

+276 %

Loaf of bread

39p

£1.35

+346%

First class stamp

25p

£0.60

+240%

A pint of milk

34p

£0.49

+144%

So keep in mind, 20+ years from now are you going to be making enough to get by on, or are you going to be looking for a new home in an even cheaper part of the word to live in ?

If your income today is barely enough to get by on, guaranteed it won't be enough a few years from now.

• Like 1

The Blether

What's your thoughts on your own retirement? are you enjoying it?

i liked my job very much but like the 8,315 days of retirement better. if i had to do it again i'd retire at age 42 and not at age 46.

somebody who claims he is not retired because he is running a company abroad but spends months gallavanting in Thailand and hours writing novels in Thaivisa is in my book "quite retired" tongue.png

At least while he is posting here his employees can get on with their work and not have to worry about the thousands of pages of emails he probably would send them if it was not for ThaiVisa. smile.png

• Like 2