Retirement.......To Thailand.

theblether

I've always had the impression that those who enjoyed work so much lacked the ability to make friends and had little imagination.

Work provides them with instant captive friends and something to do all day.

I am so busy, now retired, it doesn't seem possible that I once had time in my life for working.

@GS

I can live on 20,000bht/month but choose not to, and thankfully don't have to.

This is an example of the misunderstanding we have amongst ourselves.

I'm sure your choice is right for you, it does not follow that people who choose to work are social misfits.

The way he phrases it "lacked the ability to make friends and had little imagination" almost sounds like a criticism, as if he's trying to put down people that enjoy their work. I'd like to think that was just poor phrasing, and not a product of his jealous nature

SC

Jealous of what?

I have better things to do with my life than make money.

But freely admit to being a social misfit, as are most foreigners living in Thailand.

Edited by FiftyTwo

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I work in the off-shore indrustry world wide, 2 month work followed by 2 month holiday.

Everytime I leave my famliy in Thailand for work my mood is at rock bottom level.

Everytime I leave my ship for holiday I am very happy.

At 51 years old I can't afford to retire yet but plan for working 4 months per year when I turn 60 and then quit at 65.

As somebody correctly pointed out: the cost of living will always go up, also in Thailand so I aim for min 100k baht per month when I retire.

One thing I learned a few years ago at a (military) retirement seminar. What things cost today, won't be the same as they'll cost in the future. You may think you are making enough retirement income to live on now, but as inflation grows and prices climb, 10, 15, 20 years in the future you may find it isn't enough.

At the seminar, they gave examples of prices for various items 20 years earlier (i.e. a liter of gas, pound of butter, loaf of bread, pack of cigarettes, etc) and what they cost currently. It was surprising to see just how high prices had gone up. Gas (petrol) alone had gone up something like 300+% over the previous 20 years in some places.

Some examples I pulled from a UK website today:

Item

1993 Price

2013 Price

% Change

1 litre of unleaded petrol

50p

£1.38

+276 %

Loaf of bread

39p

£1.35

+346%

First class stamp

25p

£0.60

+240%

A pint of milk

34p

£0.49

+144%

So keep in mind, 20+ years from now are you going to be making enough to get by on, or are you going to be looking for a new home in an even cheaper part of the word to live in ?

If your income today is barely enough to get by on, guaranteed it won't be enough a few years from now.

That's basic economics. Anybody who thinks they can retire at say 50 on a fixed income and haven't allowed for the obvious inflation factor plus unexpected situations and exchange rate fluctuations hasn't thought it out properly.

I think you'll find that most true Early Retirees have thought through these issues and planned accordingly.

Don't confuse Early Retirees with others who have opted to give up work early with minimal wealth and/or a meagre income and subsist for as long as they can on as little as they can. They are not Retirees.

Edited by Gsxrnz

I agree with many of your statements. I have worked since I was 11 part time and then all my life. I am 63 waiting for a Old Age Pension at 65. I have been teaching here in Thailand, ,it used to be fun now I want to quit.

The problem is I have worked my entire life, it came before relationships, at one point it came before family as a necessity to provide for family. Business before pleasure.was always my motto. Said I would work till 70, would die on the job.

I want to quit teaching now. I know it will be my last job in Thailand at 63 lucky to be working, but what am I going to do.?? Am looking for lady in the countryside where I may cultivate a garden, try out painting, help the villagers harvest and plant. I have to be doing something.positive. I cannot sit alone in my apartment all day, I cannot become an alcoholic and drink all day....

I cannot imagine a day without a dollar coming in, only going out.

Afraid to quit work to have no order in my life, worry will my savings carry me another 2 years and then have maybe 30,000 Baht a month to live on and help support a lady. I need someone to care for me now, to be there for me now, to make sure that I am ok.

You raise some very important issues, thank you.

• Like 2

yes blether, even better are the guys who boast about coming here to start careers in Issan during their 20s and how extremely well off they are and a lucrative future that awaits them. these are the guys I really get a kick out of. retirement yes a HUGE step and you best be prepped is retiring and moving here like substantial savings and a solid monthly pension. only then will you be in good shape. cheers. NC.

ps: the guys who claim to retire here in their 20s, 30s and even 40s are really on extended holidays and fantacize they are retired unless they are part of the 1/10th% who inherited 10 million plus dollars. sure they are retired here until the cash runs out. that is a limited number of days, months, years. the longer it is the longer and tougher it is to merge back into the workforce in their former country. then their pensions star back clost to zero. you really gotta love the guys in their 20s who claim they can live off internet proceeds or securities trading. one bad month or year wipes out whatever they had completely. its a fantasy world out there. great thread blether

Been living here 9 years, whilst working offshore in Asia.

Have a Navy pension, (The real navy) I can take now but leaving until 2016. UK goverment pension in 2021

Have my retirement home all built, ringfenced and happily single. only rental or high purchase agreements I deal with at the moment.

When I come here on leave 7 days in pattaya is more than enough, the rest is spent upcountry at my home. Working my garden with all the flowers and fruit, tending chickens, Koi and working on my M/bikes.

Never been happier...... Planned all this from day one arriving in Thailand 2004. All coming together well.

But agree with the posts saying that you must have a healthy excess of funds (satisfy visa req). Plan B to fall back on!!

• Like 1

The Blether

What's your thoughts on your own retirement? are you enjoying it?

i liked my job very much but like the 8,315 days of retirement better. if i had to do it again i'd retire at age 42 and not at age 46.

somebody who claims he is not retired because he is running a company abroad but spends months gallavanting in Thailand and hours writing novels in Thaivisa is in my book "quite retired" tongue.png

Excellent input and thanks to KerryD for his post as those kind of stats do make you sit up and take notice.

@Naam, strange you mention writing novels. All going to plan I'll be taking a year off from my company next year to do exactly that. I'll need to sit down with my directors and make sure they are okay with that.

I'm not so foolish to think that I'll be a best seller but it's a life ambition, and I would like to get the series wrapped up and handed to my Dad in paperback as a 70th birthday present. Knowing him though, he'll announce they are a lot of crap and bin them.

Oh well, they say it's the thought that counts biggrin.png

• Like 1

The Blether

i liked my job very much but like the 8,315 days of retirement better. if i had to do it again i'd retire at age 42 and not at age 46.

somebody who claims he is not retired because he is running a company abroad but spends months gallavanting in Thailand and hours writing novels in Thaivisa is in my book "quite retired" tongue.png

Excellent input and thanks to KerryD for his post as those kind of stats do make you sit up and take notice.

@Naam, strange you mention writing novels. All going to plan I'll be taking a year off from my company next year to do exactly that. I'll need to sit down with my directors and make sure they are okay with that.

I'm not so foolish to think that I'll be a best seller but it's a life ambition, and I would like to get the series wrapped up and handed to my Dad in paperback as a 70th birthday present. Knowing him though, he'll announce they are a lot of crap and bin them.

Blether, good luck with your book. Hopefully your Dad won't bin the book but will have a table with one leg shorter than the others. whistling.gif

• Like 2

The Blether

Blether, good luck with your book. Hopefully your Dad won't bin the book but will have a table with one leg shorter than the others. whistling.gif

Gets very cold in Scotland..anything to warm you up is welcome.

Hope he just curls up under the blankets with a flashlight reading it and does not use it to warm the room.

• Like 1

The key to successful retirement, as has been mentioned, is planning ahead. Find the best investments for your money. Property has never let me down both as an investment and renting out. I built a sizeable property portfolio that gave me flexibility as to where I was going to live and how I was going to spend my time.

I was a workaholic in Hong Kong for 19 years before retiring here. For the last year or so of working I started to wind down and prepare for retirement. I was lucky that we were able to sell our apartment in HK for a good profit which set us up here. I also sold my company which removed me from the work aspect. However, I had started writing technical books a couple of years earlier and have continued to write in retirement which also brings in royalties.

I never had a hobby in HK and as soon as we had got our house sorted out I went and did something I wanted to do for many years. I learned to fly microlight aircraft, getting a lot of enjoyment over the last couple of years. Maintaining the plane also keeps me occupied in a way that I like. My wife flies with me so that we have found something else that we enjoy doing together and we get to see Thailand in a way not many other people get to do.

Its entirely up to you. You make your own luck by working hard to give you the money to be able to make choices.

• Like 2

The Blether

it's not strange at all because i do think you are a gifted writer and i'm not joking.

• Like 2

I did meet many many people who seem to wish to die rich.

I am not one of them.

I spend 8 months a year in Thailand, spending all I earn. And I do have enough.

I took early retirement, just to do something beter than working.

I am happy here.

And I do have some time for work, helping friends and neighbours. About 30 minutes a day on the average. No more.

I retired early at 55 from a high-pressure job in local govt, very much under public scrutiny and criticism. The pension was good, and sufficient then to do what I really wanted to do, become a professional actor. There's no money in the acting world, except for a lucky few. I was adequately covered with my pension, so I was able to take on so called 'profit share' small scale theatre (which meant no money at all). I had a ball for 8 years or so, loved an active retirement, and the buzz of a few choice TV slots. Then 13 years ago, came to Thailand on holiday, fell in love with the place, and basically, been here ever since on a 2nd retirement.

As has been suggested, retirement doesn't mean becoming brain-dead. I still have an active life, indeed, keeping fit at 75 needs some dedication. Also, moments lying in the garden, just watching clouds, or butterflies or birds - a form of meditation; is spiritually uplifting. Serenity and peace of mind become increasingly important in old age and I certainly enjoy it. I read a lot, enjoy living with an extended Thai family and sharing their lives. And surfing the Internet is a pleasure that I didn't have 20 years ago, but now helps to keep the mind active.

I'm enjoying my old age.

• Like 2

I've always had the impression that those who enjoyed work so much lacked the ability to make friends and had little imagination.

Work provides them with instant captive friends and something to do all day.

My thoughts exactly.

People who say they can't imagine what they'd do if they were so rich they didn't have to work lack imagination and ambition.

They say things like "you'd get bored sitting around the house all day watching daytime TV".

Who said anything about sitting round the house watching day time TV? Can't they think of anything else to do with their time?

Especially if money was not an issue.

You can go where you want when you want and do all those things in life you've always wanted to do.

Though many people have so little ambition to see the world or do new things that they can't even think of places to go, things to see or do.

you really gotta love the guys in their 20s who claim they can live off internet proceeds or securities trading. one bad month or year wipes out whatever they had completely. its a fantasy world out there

Oh look another bitter old timer jealous at the guys a third of his age living a life he could only dream of.

If you're happy being an employee, slaving away all your life, and making someone else rich that's fine but don't criticize the guys who are making things happen for themselves.

No job is 100% secure. Companies go bankrupt and out of business. They downsize or lay staff off.

Most guys I know working online do NOT have all their eggs in one basket and instead multiple revenue streams so chances of them all being affected are slim.

Edited by TheSpade
  • Like 1

Someone once told me, you are not retired until you throw your watch away. As soon as I heard that, I ripped my watch of my wrist and threw it into the ocean. Now I am 150 dollars short.

Mmmmm could be some truth in that, I haven't worn a watch since I retired here permanently. Not much need for one when you have a smart phone is there.

• Like 1

I know 3 guys in their seventies who are wealthy and I really feel sorry for them. Each owns his own business and that business is his life. He will work it until he dies just like Sam Walton of Walmart and so many others did and are doing.

They don't know anything else. They put in long hours and work 6 days a week. Their businesses are their only hobbies. Yet they have enough money they could shut down or sell out and do almost anything they want to do.

I wouldn't quit young, move to Thailand, and wind up poor and with little savings and no pension.

But there is a risk in working until full retirement in your home country. You will be older and your health could suddenly fail.

To each his own. Life is a gamble and no one gets out alive.

• Like 1

Finding a balance is key.

Being young and being able to live abroad and travel whilst still making money from not very difficult lines of work is perfect IMO.

I won't knock my pan in for 60 years in some 9-5 environment on the off chance I make it to retirement age (god knows what age that will be in the future assuming you make it there) and can enjoy myself.

My dad at age 52 tells me not to do it. To enjoy my life, travel, live abroad, see the world and do what I want to do not what other people / society tells you to do.

Since aged 16 he's worked the same job and hated every second of it. He knows nothing else and probably wouldn't be able to find a new job now and his trade isn't in high demand any more.

He thinks it's amazing that there's money to be made online and encourages it.

• Like 2

I retired at 48. Worked at a job for twenty years which required traveling more than 200 days per year to/fro sixteen countries in the Asia/Pacific region, Thailand included. Loved Thailand during the late 1970/80's. Like it today but in a different way.

Still visiting Thailand 3 to 4 times per year. Bought a downtown condo 5 years ago in the Rajprasong area. (Nice to imbibe but don't want to live too close to the action just 3 BRT stations away.) The condo has appreciated in value (on paper) more than what the financial institutions on CDs.

Will continue to travel the Asia/Pacific region to visit old friends (literally). Having a good time.

Try it. You may like it.

(Just don't bring home anything you cannot pack in your bag.) smile.png

Interesting topic this, one thing that hasn't been mentioned yet though is whether you have lots of money or not a lot isn't it still going to be better in Thailand where the money goes further? Better than having not much money in rainy cold Scotland for example

• Like 1

There seems to be a wealth of different ideas about retirement with not too much polarization of views. It seems to me that we all try to choose what we like and how we want to spend the rest of our lives. I also

notice quite a few comments on the financial aspect of retirement so I guess we are also all well aware of the need to prepare. Many people in the UK have too many financial encumbrances to do what most of

the contributors here have achieved. For them retirement to a comfortable life is little more than a dream. We are fortunate enough to have the skills/good judgement/luck to get where we are and enjoy doing

whatever we have chosen to do.

My previous existence was very fulfilling. As a contracting engineer and musician I got to see many parts of the world. Socially I would enjoy visiting my friends and playing music together. Then of course there

was the beer after. Now I find so many of my friends and colleagues have moved on as I have done. Life does not stand still. Retirement is just another part of the great adventure.

Has anyone made a list of things to do before they die?

There seems to be a wealth of different ideas about retirement with not too much polarization of views. It seems to me that we all try to choose what we like and how we want to spend the rest of our lives. I also

notice quite a few comments on the financial aspect of retirement so I guess we are also all well aware of the need to prepare. Many people in the UK have too many financial encumbrances to do what most of

the contributors here have achieved. For them retirement to a comfortable life is little more than a dream. We are fortunate enough to have the skills/good judgement/luck to get where we are and enjoy doing

My previous existence was very fulfilling. As a contracting engineer and musician I got to see many parts of the world. Socially I would enjoy visiting my friends and playing music together. Then of course there

was the beer after. Now I find so many of my friends and colleagues have moved on as I have done. Life does not stand still. Retirement is just another part of the great adventure.

Me? Write some books, I'll be delighted at that. I then have four journeys that I want to make, three I think are do able and one difficult.

I want to catch a train in Thurso, Scotland, go through the Channel Tunnel, over to Brussels then head for Russia........Germany/Poland/Belarus/St Pete's/Moscow. Then join the trans Siberia express, Siberia/ China........using the train as much as possible, go through Vietnam and Cambodia, Thailand, Malaysia and finish off in Singapore.

Easily doable.

I would love to take the Via train from Vancouver over the Rockies to Toronto, then head out to Nova Scotia.

Easily doable.

Fly To Sri Lanka, tour the Island then go over the Ocean to the Southern tip of India and traverse up to the Himalayas overland.

Doable ( I think ).

On a separate trip, fly to Singapore and attempt to traverse by land and sea to Darwin, Oz, travel across Oz, take a boat to NZ, then a boat to Chile ( preferably ), traverse up through South America overland to Mexico, the States, and eventually to Nova Scotia, and try to get a sea route back to Scotland so that way I've traversed the World by land and sea.

I think this leg would be very difficult to pull off.

If I'm spared I'll defo do the first three, the last one, hmmm.

• Like 1

Me? Write some books, I'll be delighted at that. I then have four journeys that I want to make, three I think are do able and one difficult.

I want to catch a train in Thurso, Scotland, go through the Channel Tunnel, over to Brussels then head for Russia........Germany/Poland/Belarus/St Pete's/Moscow. Then join the trans Siberia express, Siberia/ China........using the train as much as possible, go through Vietnam and Cambodia, Thailand, Malaysia and finish off in Singapore.

Easily doable.

I would love to take the Via train from Vancouver over the Rockies to Toronto, then head out to Nova Scotia.

Easily doable.

Fly To Sri Lanka, tour the Island then go over the Ocean to the Southern tip of India and traverse up to the Himalayas overland.

Doable ( I think ).

On a separate trip, fly to Singapore and attempt to traverse by land and sea to Darwin, Oz, travel across Oz, take a boat to NZ, then a boat to Chile ( preferably ), traverse up through South America overland to Mexico, the States, and eventually to Nova Scotia, and try to get a sea route back to Scotland so that way I've traversed the World by land and sea.

I think this leg would be very difficult to pull off.

If I'm spared I'll defo do the first three, the last one, hmmm.

ill tell you what mrblether,

i wish you luck in your travels,,

just please stay of the motorbikes,,lol

and stepping off trains,

bloody hell get good insurance mate,,lol,

jake

• Like 1

I quit my job because it was stressing me out. My blood pressure was sky high though medication brought it under control fairly quickly.

I have now lived here for over 8 years and almost certainly have better health than had I stayed in Scotland. Also, I get fewer colds and when I am ill, I recover completely within a couple of days compared to up to 3 weeks when I lived in Scotland.

I do think it is vital to have some sort of hobby to keep you occupied. I have had a life long interest in astronomy so am taking the opportunity to study it at university level with the University of Central Lancashire. 10 modules to go and I'll have a degree.

The collapse in the value of sterling against the baht is hurting but I still have a comfortable life style. The girlfriend wants to move to Bang Chang where some of her family stay. It makes sense financially though I'm not sure I want to make such a move yet.

Alan

• Like 1