Renewing One Year Driving License

CiaranO

My one year driving license is up for renewal at the end of the month.

Just trying to confirm documents:

Medical Cert

Copy of Passport Pages etc

Copy of Work Permit as proof of address.

Application form and fee

Do i have to do any more tests or is it just hand in the paperwork, take photo and wait?

Thanks

You will receive a 5 year licence this time and you need to watch the one hour video - more like 40 minutes. So you need to get there about 09.00 as the video in English is only shown about 09.30 each day. Arrive later and you will told to come back 09.00 the next day. Also you will need to take the reaction test, depth perception test, and colour blindness tests. Takes a few minutes before you sit down for the video. And you will need original passport and WP to support the photo copies.

You will receive a 5 year licence this time and you need to watch the one hour video - more like 40 minutes. So you need to get there about 09.00 as the video in English is only shown about 09.30 each day. Arrive later and you will told to come back 09.00 the next day. Also you will need to take the reaction test, depth perception test, and colour blindness tests. Takes a few minutes before you sit down for the video. And you will need original passport and WP to support the photo copies.

Thank you Sir

I renewed my licence a few weeks ago. Handed in my paperwork, paid the fee, they took my photo and gave me a new 5 year licence. No video, no reaction test, depth perception test or colour blindness test. I did a colour blindness test the first time but that's all I've done.

I arrived late morning and was in and out in about 40 minutes.

• Like 1

I renewed my licence a few weeks ago. Handed in my paperwork, paid the fee, they took my photo and gave me a new 5 year licence. No video, no reaction test, depth perception test or colour blindness test. I did a colour blindness test the first time but that's all I've done.

That's interesting. Maybe the Phuket DVL have changed their procedure. Maybe you were lucky ? Any other members that have renewed their licence recently care to comment.

This did not happen to me. Simply pay the renewal fee & they gave me the new licence.

Same for me in Phuket.

Pay and go.

But some 3 years ago now.

It was almost exactly 3 years ago that I renewed my 5 year license and there was no pay and go. It was the colour/reaction/perception tests and video. I went in the previous day about 10.00 and they told I was too late for the video and should come back at 08.30 the next day. I guess it typical of Thailand government official's interpretation of the rules. We all have experienced this rolleyes.gif

renewing mine was:

• medical attest (40 bt)
  • proof of address (500 bt)
  • some photocopies (4 bt)
  • colour test + break test + eye test. no video. no practical driving.
  • digital pic got taken at the centre and got new licence and paid 150bt for it.

(this was the 2nd time i renewed mine btw)

That's interesting. Maybe the Phuket DVL have changed their procedure. Maybe you were lucky ? Any other members that have renewed their licence recently care to comment.

Yes I did the same----- walk in about 10.30,walk out 11.15-------- no tests yust take photo and pay money-------Easy in Udon Thani

In our area no video but depth perception and eye tests.

Same for me except I had to take the reaction test but no video. In and out in 30 minutes. Early on a Friday morning, very few other applicants were there. Phuket in August

Edited by funinthesun

If you happen to have a yellow address book, no other proof of address or Thai Immigration blessing is required. Whenever I needed to renew, I would stop by a local health clinic on my way to the DLT; 40 or 50 baht & about 10' later I was on my way.

Edited by SeabagsFull

Went from my one year to five year license in June -- no video, but did depth perception and color tests. Took picture, got license and out in less than one hour. This was in Land Transport office near Sukhumvit 62.

Like any other Government office in Thailand it depends on the people that work there and the office location. Some land transport offices make you look at a video with English subtitles. Some don't. Some make you take a reaction test, color blindness test etc., and some don't. Just depends where you live and what the rules are at your particular location.

Barry

• Like 1

Does anyone know if on the Highway 36 place outside Pattaya u need Residents Certificate for a driving licence if on Non Immig O (retirement) ?

To apply for or renew a Thai driving license you must supply either a valid Certificate of Residence or a valid Work Permit or a valid Yellow Tabian Baan.

Getting back to the OPs original question which I am going to assume is not renewing his one year provisional license but obtaining a full five year license.

I did this last month in Chon Buri (near Regents School).

The documents I took were:

• Residency Certificate
  • Medical Certificate
  • Passport
  • Copy of photo page of Passport
  • Copy of front and back of current (one year's driver's license).

I had to do the "sitting tests" again - braking, perception etc.

No vids to watch.

And as Thai's do PS very well it wasn't quick.

(and as stated in previous post other documents can be substituted for Residency Certificate).

I did not have to do anything, no tests, no nothing, just paid the fee. But for the motorbike, I had to do the eye test and reaction test.

Like any other Government office in Thailand it depends on the people that work there and the office location. Some land transport offices make you look at a video with English subtitles. Some don't. Some make you take a reaction test, color blindness test etc., and some don't. Just depends where you live and what the rules are at your particular location.

Barry

Yes, just like the immigration offices, the banks. They make up their own rules, and they love the authority.

I agree - just renewed mine - no video....called out the light colors and walked over to sit and have the picture taken - again about 40 minutes - if that.....

I renewed my 5 year car licence in Chiang Mai last month, I needed address proof (in my case letter from consulate), copies of passport, and I had to sit through a video shown on a computer. I also had to take a colour test and a reaction test. It seems a bit daunting, but really I was in and out in about 90 mins, I did arrive before 9am.

I was not asked for a doctors cert, I think the only time I was ever asked for that was on my first licence.

If you happen to have a yellow address book, no other proof of address or Thai Immigration blessing is required. Whenever I needed to renew, I would stop by a local health clinic on my way to the DLT; 40 or 50 baht & about 10' later I was on my way.

As other posters have said, it all depends on which land transport office you go to. We had previously been to tax one of our vehicles and asked just what we needed to renew our licenses, so we arrived, presented our documents ( the wife's were in order ) but that was as far as I got. Your ' yellow book ' is NOT sufficient evidence as proof of residence -- why the **** I ever got it I don't know. You will have to go to immigration and get TWO resident permits, one for the bike license and one for the car. Scooted off to Kap Choeng immigration, 1000 baht, thank you very much, and got back in time for the afternoon license session which starts at 1pm. This time, all paperwork correct which did NOT require a medical certificate. Usual colour blind test, reaction test, distance test and peripheral vision colour test. Unusually this time, I had to watch the video -- never had to do that before and this is my fourth time of renewing licences, then have your picture taken and the licenses duly followed. I was renewing a 5 year license. Before this would have meant a license for life but this has now changed. The new licences run for 6 years. Other people will have other experiences but this was the latest at Prakhon Chai land transport office about 3 weeks ago.

Received my 5 year licence early last year, in Phuket, didn't have to watch the video, or do any other tests. Did need a letter from a doctor, , a copy of my rental agreement, photocopy of my passport details and visa, and of course, fill out the application.