Can't do without Cmai Ram.

A1Str8

been going there for five years: 3 stents ok; laser eye surgery ok , cataract and lens; 1 knee microfracture surgery not so good; see cardio every three months and diabetes every three months, eye doctor 1 time a year; had a kidney stone last Monday while at ram, had ultrasound, x ray, doctor and medications for 2100thb. dr. sudhee will soon be doing a knee replacement. damn I am still alive, imagine that!!!!!

been going there for five years: 3 stents ok; laser eye surgery ok , cataract and lens; 1 knee microfracture surgery not so good; see cardio every three months and diabetes every three months, eye doctor 1 time a year; had a kidney stone last Monday while at ram, had ultrasound, x ray, doctor and medications for 2100thb. dr. sudhee will soon be doing a knee replacement. dam_n I am still alive, imagine that!!!!!

Dr Sudhee still doing major surgery after his semi retirement?............I'm impressed. thumbsup.gif

If foreigners can't speak the most basic Thai phrases (or basic phrases in the language of any other country that they are traveling in) then they should at least carry one of those little travel dictionaries with them where you can jump to the section for medical emergency, police, etc. That way you can at least show the people at the clinic, hospital, etc. what you are there for and that will avoid major, potential life-threatening misunderstandings. I read on another thread where one patient visited a hospital and got a Penicillin injection when he was allergic to penicillin! I would never dream of going to a clinic or hospital in a foreign country without speaking at least some of the language or having a close, trusted friend translating for me.

UG sells those little books at his shops as I bought mine there a few years ago.

Quite a lot of Thais won't understand a foreigner speaking Thai at any level.

Never sure if its racism or ignorance that causes this.

I think a lot of times it is the foreigner thinking he is speaking Thai because the people around him are used to his mistakes.

Correct. I have one or two friends that speak excellent Thai and they never have problem at all being understood. However, they have studied the language diligently for more than 20 years and knew a few other languages to start with.

If foreigners can't speak the most basic Thai phrases (or basic phrases in the language of any other country that they are traveling in) then they should at least carry one of those little travel dictionaries with them where you can jump to the section for medical emergency, police, etc. That way you can at least show the people at the clinic, hospital, etc. what you are there for and that will avoid major, potential life-threatening misunderstandings. I read on another thread where one patient visited a hospital and got a Penicillin injection when he was allergic to penicillin! I would never dream of going to a clinic or hospital in a foreign country without speaking at least some of the language or having a close, trusted friend translating for me.

UG sells those little books at his shops as I bought mine there a few years ago.

Quite a lot of Thais won't understand a foreigner speaking Thai at any level.

Never sure if its racism or ignorance that causes this.

I think a lot of times it is the foreigner thinking he is speaking Thai because the people around him are used to his mistakes.

Correct. I have one or two friends that speak excellent Thai and they never have problem at all being understood. However, they have studied the language diligently for more than 20 years and knew a few other languages to start with.

I can understand Americans speaking English, and even Canadians and Russians speaking English.

Sometimes I can even make out what Thai English teachers from a government school are trying to say (but I admit not always).

It's not as if asking for a 'glui pan' in a smoothie shop gives them a whole lot of decisions ...... arai na

Some Thai people understand me immediately and some don't understand me at all, so I understand the frustration, but foreigners who speak Thai really well do not have this problem. However, foreigners who speak Thai like Joe Cummings are far and few between. http://womenlearnthai.com/index.php/successful-thai-language-learner-joe-cummings/

Edited by Ulysses G.

been going there for five years: 3 stents ok; laser eye surgery ok , cataract and lens; 1 knee microfracture surgery not so good; see cardio every three months and diabetes every three months, eye doctor 1 time a year; had a kidney stone last Monday while at ram, had ultrasound, x ray, doctor and medications for 2100thb. dr. sudhee will soon be doing a knee replacement. dam_n I am still alive, imagine that!!!!!

Dr Sudhee still doing major surgery after his semi retirement?............I'm impressed. thumbsup.gif

Me to he tried to get me to go to Bangkok for a hip. When I saw him first three years ago he told me he was to old for that. A knee is more difficult. I went to him recently for a second opinion as I have found him very knowledgeable and willing to take the time to explain things.

I would imagine that all the major hospitals in CM have people who are fluent in quite a few languages just ask at the Enquiry Desk. RAM certainly do.

I'm pretty sure they have fluent Japanese, Korean, and English speakers at Rajavej. Don't know about the others. But all the major hospitals will have translators available - only a phone call away. There are quite a few translators in C.M. speaking a number of different languages.

I went to do my HIV test last night. I got my results in 2 hours and paid around 420 baht. No problem with communications.

2 months ago I had dengue fever and I was asked by doctor to stay in hospital. I was there for 3 nights. That costed me 20,000 baht. Expensive. That time did not have any communication problems with anybody who was coming to my room - about 5 nurses and 2 doctors.

I went to do my HIV test last night. I got my results in 2 hours and paid around 420 baht. No problem with communications.

2 months ago I had dengue fever and I was asked by doctor to stay in hospital. I was there for 3 nights. That costed me 20,000 baht. Expensive. That time did not have any communication problems with anybody who was coming to my room - about 5 nurses and 2 doctors.

LOL 20K THB is expensive for 3 nights as an inpatient in a hospital?

• Like 1

LOL 20K THB is expensive for 3 nights as an inpatient in a hospital?

I would love to see the break down on that one.

I know the rooms can be nicer than a lot of hotel rooms but that is pushing it.

Maybe it included a price for air fare to fly a doctor in from Bangkok. biggrin.png

I paid 20k two years ago for staying a couple of days.

Must have been the penthouse. When my wife was in for 4 nights and I was allowed to stay in the room with her, slept on the couch.Nice room with fridge and daily delivery of the Bangkok Post. Cost per night was 1,100 baht. Surely the 20K baht included other services.

Must have been the penthouse. When my wife was in for 4 nights and I was allowed to stay in the room with her, slept on the couch.Nice room with fridge and daily delivery of the Bangkok Post. Cost per night was 1,100 baht. Surely the 20K baht included other services.

certainly that was what the poster meant. everyone knows the rooms are only about 1,200-1,500 Bahts per night. more in Bangkok. it's the other things that add up. i was recently hospitalized and the room charge was about 1,200 but all the other stuff added up like nursing fee - i think 400 per day, pharmacy was about 7,000 per day - many IV's, doctors were each 1500 per day, of course things like radiology were as much as 14,000 (multiple x-rays, CT scans, etc.). surgery fees besides theatre charges and surgeon fees included things like (from my bill) medical supplies 1 and 2, packaged medical charges, "special surgical equipments" other in-patient charges, medical equipments, general medical equipment, special medical equipment, OR medical equipment, laboratory investigation, and of course discharge fee, "other hospital charges", discharge day-care, "subsequent care", patient evaluation and management, and so forth. it ended up like 25K per day plus surgery. the insurance company came and looked over every charge and said it looked normal to them and they paid the bill. the hospital did sneak in "standard inpatient foods and soft drinks @ 220 Baht per day but i told the insurance co. that i never asked for or received any hospital food or soft drinks; only water. they removed the charges.

like was mentioned before i too don't understand farangs who stay in patients rooms in Thailand.

Yes it was an expensive room. I had dengue and wanted to suffer in style. The room was spacious and nice I liked it. But sure, the 20k included other fees as well.