Good British Style Pubs in Bangkok

millwall_fan

Hi, I've just moved to live and work in Bangkok after 8 years living in Chiang Mai. One of the essential elements for good living on this planet, IMHO is the availability of a convivial hostelry with a few English speakers sitting at the bar chewing the fat. (I owned just such a place in Chiang Mai for a number of years). I love the beer in The Londoner on Sukhumvit soi 33 (especially the 100 B a pint happy hour specials) and I like the atmosphere in Chequers and its affable Cornish landlord. What I need to know is: are there any other good British/Irish/Aussie style bars in Bangkok that I should try out? The criteria are:

1: a good friendly crowd at the bar that speak English and welcome newbies.

2. Ideally some beer choices that are outside the usual Thai pisswater genre.

3.I have a fairly catholic taste in music, but I prefer the volume to be under my conversation level rather than over.

4. A menu of reasonably priced Western food.

5. er

6. That's about it!

PS if the landlord, or one or two customers understand numbers 5 and 6 in the list, so much the better!!

Any ideas gratefully received!

Thanks for those, guys, I've never heard of Crossbar on soi 23 or the Royal Oak, so I'll give them a go. The Robin Hood and Dubliner I know and they're OKish, nothing more and the Black Swan I've heard of and I know it has a good rep, but never been, so I'll certainly try that. Does anyone know of any similar pubs away from Sukhumvit, because the 100 Baht for a pint of very drinkable beer at The Londoner is hard to beat. I live near Victory Monument so somewhere a bit closer to there would be nice, though I'll travel for good beer and a good crowd! Cheers.

One pub that stands out from the crowd of large Irish type bars is The Pickled Liver on Sukhumvit soi 7/1 (In between the entrance stairways of Nana BTS.). Just walk past the girlie bars to the end of the soi. Small, friendly, English run bar. The name of the bar is tribute to George Best, so not sure how that will work with a Millwall fan.

Enjoy!

There is also Australian and Irish bars on Soi 11 but the Dubliner I believe is now closed. The Sportsman on Soi 13 food is good and reasonably priced with lots of Brits especially on Pool League evenings. I have always managed to have a pleasant conversation with people I met there.

There is also Australian and Irish bars on Soi 11 but the Dubliner I believe is now closed. The Sportsman on Soi 13 food is good and reasonably priced with lots of Brits especially on Pool League evenings. I have always managed to have a pleasant conversation with people I met there.

Is that the same Sportsman or to be politically correct similar that was next to the Dubliner?

jb1

Agree about the Black Swan and Checkinn 99. The Australia Pub in Soi 11 not too bad (but don't drink their red wine). 2 Irish pubs in the Silom area near Sala Daeng BTS, O'Reillys in Silom itself and Molly Malones in Soi Convent are OK. Good luck!

There's a The Sportsman in soi 13 in Pattaya. I wasn't aware that there is also one in Bangkok.

Some great places for us to try, thanks for posting.Especially thanks to Bra for the Irish pub suggestions in Silom. From most of the posts above it seems that Sukhumvit has 90% of the Brit/Irish pubs in town. Would that be a fair comment?

As to not appreciating George Best because I support Millwall, Rak sa_ngop - I appreciate any sportsman with talent and Besty had plenty - like Stevie Claridge on speed!

The Crossbar is good, 3 or 4 screens to watch sport, a pool table, British and Thai available all day, the owner is from Wolverhampton, nice bloke too and The Black Swan is also very good, looks like old style British pub inside and out, wide selection of European beers too, plus British and Thai food, although I think the food is a tad expensive, 2 or 3 screens for sport, the owner is from Sheffield.

Bradmans on Soi 23 Aussie owner great great guy and the food is fab it's more of a bistro than a pub but lots of fun.

The Queen Vic Soi 23 as well but the staff are still miserable - the breaky is really good.

The Queen Vic could be a great pub with better management and staff. You're right about the food...its decent.

• Like 1

Bradmans on Soi 23 Aussie owner great great guy and the food is fab it's more of a bistro than a pub but lots of fun.

The Queen Vic Soi 23 as well but the staff are still miserable - the breaky is really good.

The Queen Vic could be a great pub with better management and staff. You're right about the food...its decent.

If Thomas from Bradmans took over the Queen Vic I'd live at the pub.

• Like 2

Where is Bradmans

Where is Bradmans

Soi 23

http://www.bradmansbistro.com/

No 1 bar for me is the Beer Garden in Soi 5 or 7 cant remember which. Big bar,full of falangs, pleanty of conversation and excellent food.Many freelance bar girls that speak english and seem to be happy just talking to you.

One pub that stands out from the crowd of large Irish type bars is The Pickled Liver on Sukhumvit soi 7/1 (In between the entrance stairways of Nana BTS.). Just walk past the girlie bars to the end of the soi. Small, friendly, English run bar. The name of the bar is tribute to George Best, so not sure how that will work with a Millwall fan.

Enjoy!

Nice tribute !!

I think I would have preferred the "Irish Wizard" ... or similar.

No 1 bar for me is the Beer Garden in Soi 5 or 7 cant remember which. Big bar,full of falangs, pleanty of conversation and excellent food.Many freelance bar girls that speak english and seem to be happy just talking to you.

Its the German Beer Garden in Soi 7 - walk down from the Nana BTS. Good food - if you have the pork knuckle you wont have to eat for a week. If you get bored there you can take a short cut through the Park Hotel car park to Soi 11 - more pubs and restaurants including another German bar/restaurant - no girls but good German and Thai food too. Convivial small bar.

For me can't go past Jools Bar Nana Soi 4 for English-Aussi good conversation and yummy food second to none.

Cheers

Andrew L

Agreed, Jools bar ticks most of the boxes for the OP and its only a minute or two down from Chequers.

I've always liked the food there and if anything, they can be too friendly - on a couple of occasions I've gone in for 'one or two' and several hours later I'm wondering what the hell happened to the rest of the night.

• Like 1

Enjoy!

I'm sort of confused.

Do you mean walk down Soi 7 past the seafood restaurants and beyond the German Beer Garden?

Would like to find it.

Enjoy!

I'm sort of confused.

Do you mean walk down Soi 7 past the seafood restaurants and beyond the German Beer Garden?

Would like to find it.

Soi 7/1 not Soi 7.

We tried the Roadhouse BBQ bar today on the corner of Silom and Suriwong. Really excellent Singaporean beer including Black Pig Bitter and a fine IPA. Expensive at 265 + but at 8% ABV you don't need too many! The atmosphere on a Sunday lunchtime could best be described as like a morgue. But as they are one of only two venues in Bangkok currently to have these excellent beers (the brewery is called Brewerkz), we may return. I don't think the Beer Garden would impress my wife very much - I used to enjoy going there in my single days mind! I'll certainly try Jools bar, maybe tie it in with Chequers and perhaps Bully's. Still no ideas for good places away from Sukhumvit- is the rest of BKK a Brit/Irish free zone?

You can try Mulligans on soi 11, just down from Nana BTS...

Good choice of draught beers and happy hour til 8 around 80-100 baht a pind depending on what you drink. They did have a special on draught san migs pints at 100 baht all day, all night. Not sure if it's still running though.

Above average food in my opinion at reasonable prices...Good sports feeds shown across the inner lounge area, mid bar area and outside area...