Thai jasmine rice promoted as quality gift for foreigners to take home

webfact

Wonder what the tourists will think when on returning home they get sprung for bring food products into their country. Big fines....

Aussie customs will have a field day with that:) They will just confiscate it - though I will stand corrected. My wife doesn't seem to know if you can take rice into Australia. never tried it - but what would be for sure is that unpackaged 'fresh' rice would be taken off your hands.

• Replies 122
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Wonder what the tourists will think when on returning home they get sprung for bring food products into their country. Big fines....

Aussie customs will have a field day with that:) They will just confiscate it - though I will stand corrected. My wife doesn't seem to know if you can take rice into Australia. never tried it - but what would be for sure is that unpackaged 'fresh' rice would be taken off your hands.

A couple of weeks ago I took a small (1KG) bag of black Thai jasmine rice with me to Australia. It was really just to show friends as they hadn't seen it in Oz and they blend their rice i.e. white and brown for health reasons. Declared it with quarantine at Customs and had no problem at all. It was in vacuum sealed commercial packaging though.

When ever we go back on a visit my wife usually buys fresh curry pastes and freshly cooked "pla tu" fish at the local markets and takes this back for friends. All of it is in unmarked packets as she packs it herself. We always declare everything and never a problem. A quarantine guy at Brisbane airport checked the curry pastes once and his only comment was 'You're making me hungry".

• Like 2

This is the biggest load of crop I've heard in a long time.

What will they think of next?

First I thought, every tourist get a 0.5 kg bag as gift. Maybe with a letter saying thank you for visiting Thailand.

And I thought it is a great idea...you can't sell the rice anyway and it is very charming.

Than I read "The stalls will be located at the check-in counter".

Since than I think how I can write what I think about this idea....I have no wordscrazy.gif

And of course nobody has thought about the costs of designing and building the lovely sales.

Then salaries must be paid to the sales staff and there will need to be some checking / auditing activity to ensure the

income has ben banked etc. and regular checks that remaining stocks are correct, etc., all recurring costs regardless of income.

I would venture to say marketing research is not one of their strong points.

• Like 1

One novel idea to get rid of the million of tones of rotting rice in the government

warehouse, in fact, I'm surprise it's mandatory yet to buy a kilo of rice as you

leave Thailand, maybe they haven't thought about it yet...

Why stop at a kilo, they could do a mandatory filling up of passenger bags to the maximum weight :)

Serves the North American travellers right, showing off with their 2-bag-50lb-in-economy limit :P

One novel idea to get rid of the million of tones of rotting rice in the government

warehouse,

Here we go with the PTP red obsessors - earth to Thaivisa readers - Long grain thai jasmine is the high end of the market, its the rice that actually is being sold, can be sold - HAS A MARKET! Thats what they want to give the tourists. The rotting rice in warehouses that you are so concerned about is composed of lower grades of paddy

biggrin.png

Lets not lose the plot so early in the day gentlemen,

• Like 2

Big problem will be the confiscation of it when they get back to customs/agriculture in their own country ...

Another will be explaining to your friends why you brought them a cheap present all the way back from Thailand that they could easily buy for themselves in their local supermarket.

whistling.gif

buy for themselves in their local supermarket....for half the price

First I thought, every tourist get a 0.5 kg bag as gift. Maybe with a letter saying thank you for visiting Thailand.

And I thought it is a great idea...you can't sell the rice anyway and it is very charming.

Than I read "The stalls will be located at the check-in counter".

Since than I think how I can write what I think about this idea....I have no wordscrazy.gif

And of course nobody has thought about the costs of designing and building the lovely sales.

Then salaries must be paid to the sales staff and there will need to be some checking / auditing activity to ensure the

income has ben banked etc. and regular checks that remaining stocks are correct, etc., all recurring costs regardless of income.

that checking / auditing isn't necessary....you just use PTP cronies. They are honest and everything will be OK.

I thought Jasmine rice was only a small part of the total crop and in demand therefore easy to sell.

If this is correct then where is the need for this?

Surely the need is to get rid of the other grades, types, that are in the warehouses.

I thought Jasmine rice was only a small part of the total crop and in demand therefore easy to sell.

If this is correct then where is the need for this?

Surely the need is to get rid of the other grades, types, that are in the warehouses.

Because they are thinking that a stupid consumer might try it, and then go to buy "Thai Rice" in the super market overseas.

What a disappointment that might be.

"Thai jasmine rice promoted as quality gift for foreigners to take home"...

Yeah right. I can see Aussie & USA Ag & Fish and plant quarantine people

agreeing with this "gift" 100%...not to mention the same folks in the Euro zone.

Have these people who thought this up no education?

At one time, long ago I thought small Thai "Spirit Houses" very detailed &

made of wood boxed as a gift would be great....and even looked into having

these made for sale at duty free stores at a fair price. Then there was the

issue of wood...how could I guarantee that the wood I'd use was free of

"pests"? Couldn't argue with that so the idea went into hibernation. So

much for that.

Anyway I reckon this "scheme" (love the word) fits nicely with this....

post-146250-0-55919000-1380966470_thumb.

Unlike most, I for one think its not a bad idea, apart from it being sold in duty free shops.

Yes, sell Thai rice at tourist oriented shops, it has a little charm to it bringing a taste of thailand home even though it can be bought in most supermarkets.

Sell it in restaurants, but not in king power. In my 40 plus trips to thailand I have never bought anything from the duty free shops, because like most countries the products may be duty free but they carry a heavy mark up, making them hardly worth it, if not more expensive than tesco lotus and big c.

• Like 2

"Thai jasmine rice promoted as quality gift for foreigners to take home"...

Yeah right. I can see Aussie & USA Ag & Fish and plant quarantine people

agreeing with this "gift" 100%...not to mention the same folks in the Euro zone.

Have these people who thought this up no education?

At one time, long ago I thought small Thai "Spirit Houses" very detailed &

made of wood boxed as a gift would be great....and even looked into having

these made for sale at duty free stores at a fair price. Then there was the

issue of wood...how could I guarantee that the wood I'd use was free of

"pests"? Couldn't argue with that so the idea went into hibernation. So

much for that.

Anyway I reckon this "scheme" (love the word) fits nicely with this....

attachicon.gifFunny-Pics-14.02-7.jpg

There are many foodstuffs that are allowed through Customs, rice being one of them although it must be declared.

http://www.csu.edu.au/international/starting-on-campus/immigration-and-customs-regulations

The same goes for Europe and USA, Thailand is not on the Khapra beetle infestation list.

Of course, many people on TV laugh at the idea of Thai rice being taken back to a home country as a gift but to be honest, I can see it working!

It's the idea of something that is an original product from the country you have visited, regardless what it is and has LOS got anything original?

Thai jasmine rice IS a premium product in many western countries, rightly or wrongly, that is how it is considered by many shoppers who buy other makes because they are cheaper.

People visit Aussie and bring back a miniature boomerang or cuddly koala teddy etc. with a 'Made in China' label. It represents Australia.

But of course, unless you live in LOS then you're just a stupid farang who doesn't know what you are buying and with the stands located at check-in, a few baht in your pocket that you want to get rid of before you leave? I bet if someone done a survey of how many bags are sold they will be in for a surprise!

Good marketing idea, shame it's rice!

Edited for adding extra info about the USA

Edited by Madgee
  • Like 2

It would be a nice idea if they handed small (say 1 kg) bags to departing tourists for free.

Putting them in King Power is where it goes off the rails. High prices and scams.

I've akways advised any visiting friends to avoid KP like the plague. Cheaper 'duty free' in Foodland.

• Like 1

Don't ask... it will arrive predictibly as a distraction from whatever ails the gov't at the time and be equally astonishing to even 'semi' rational people.