Does Thailand need you?

Phronesis

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do the bucket test, get a big bucket, fill with water, now plunge your open hand in and make a fist and pull out as fast as you can if you leave a hole you are needed in Thailand in fact they will assign you a guard

Do the bucket test, get a big bucket, fill with water, now plunge your open hand in and make a fist and pull out as fast as you can if you leave a hole you are needed in Thailand in fact they will assign you a guard

Fill it with beer, if empty in 5 minutes, you are welcome in Thailand....

• Like 1

Thailand needs wide based knowledge imput and skill transfer - therefore to some extent the country and it's poele need contact with the positive side of other cultures

You have either been here too long or not long enough! Phathet Thai doesn't need anybody or anything because they have never been colonised!

Just ask them! If you were to try and pass some knowledge or , God help us all, a skill, it would last as long as you were looking at the student...turn away and it would be gone!

I do things because that is the way my father did it, if I change then it means that I don't respect my father!

Go out into the country, watch how students are taught at school, watch how farmers work their fields, watch how lazy the total system is! thumbsup.gif

I have paid a lot of taxes, employed a good number of Thai people and added a fair amount of money to the economy, but, no, they would not miss me at all. However, I would miss Thailand a lot.

Same with me. Sadly you are right!

What a stupid subject - WHO CARES ?

I care. I would sooner live in a country that likes me to live there than one that doesn't. We have to work towards making them like us and not keep slagging them off. I can never understand why a lot of farangs stay here when all they do is badmouth about everything in Thailand.

Maingmoom

• Like 2

I like thailand.

When I m back to Europe or USA I feel miserable. In Europe I am mister nobody, just a number, a piece of crap, a tax payer, a vat payer, a white man with white men and dumb white women...

Basically in Europe, we got no respect. You are just a passport number, a ssn, or someone who come to steal jobs of USA citizen, or whatever....

Here in thailand, it s different. First, cost of life is much cheaper and people know you have money and just for that you got some respect.

If you are stuck near the airport, take a cab and go in a 600 bahts hotel. Need food in the middle of the night(or a beer) after a long flight to Thailand, go to 7/11 and get food for 100$.

Where do you get this in Europe? Where can I walk at night in USA?

Here I can, here in Thailand, I feel safer...

Then we have white skin, and in thailand, it's a social distinction, we are automatically part of the higher class, when in Europe we don't have this concept really.

Then all problems here can be resolved easily. Just be nice smile and relax. Try to be nice with a cop in USA, and he will arrest you for corruption temptation while here you will get a nice smile and we fix the problem with a small banknote under table.

Really I need more thailand than thailand needs me.

Edited by Cheapcharly

Tourism accounts for roughly 6% of the economy.

Considering that there is a lot domestic tourism, foreigner account for less.

So basically the economic grow of 1 very good year or 2 bad years.

If the numbers are right (which is never sure in Thailand), even if there are no tourists at all anymore, it would only hurt but not kill the economy.

I wonder if Thailand would have been much different, had the Vietnam war not taken place and troops sent here for a rest. Maybe the tourist industry would have kicked off in a different way, maybe no girlie bars,just attractions to visit. Maybe the Thai's would have liked the farangs and wanted us to stay.

Needing us and wanting us are two different things. They need us but they don't want us....just our dosh....so you can come and leave your wallet and then leave immediately.

A bit like Brighton or Lake Districts or any other tourist area I guess? Maybe one reason Thais object to us farang (if they indeed do) is the way 90% of farangs bad mouth and slag off the Thais?

So sick of listening to another fool complain about farang complaining about Thais.

First its not as if farangs complain to Thai people directly. The various forum are a sounding board and a complaint sponge or if you prefer a channel of catharsis.

Second, in general Thai people's english language skills are so poor they would not and do not understand anything we said/say in English and/or crucially . . . even if they understand the words they do not understand the layers of meaning and intention behind the words because of cultural differences. Anyone with a Thai girlfriend or wife can avouch for the time needed and patience needed to be able to get simpatico with each other.

Third, despite this being a terrific place to live and the fact that many of us are financially better off living here at present there are some big problems with Thailand that could be fixed if some farang thinking and actioning were ever allowed to take place. Flooding, corruption and gun murders (the highest in the world) are three things that spring to mind. Of course shit happens in the west as well but there are many things here that could be fixed relatively easily if some changes in the law regarding foreign workers took place.

In conclusion, I often feel that while the laws preventing foreigners (unless they are Saudi princes) from buying property are ostensibly to safeguard Thai people (and i agree with this) there could and should be some relaxing of this as a degree of foreign land ownership would certainly make us feel more welcome and safeguard us from the ill fated romantic vissisitudes from which many suffer; namely being disinherited, disowned and dislodged from property that we (farangs in general) have paid for and put in the hands of feckless thai women but it would also possibly give farangs more of a stake in governance at a local level and encourage bridges to be built socially.

We pay taxes after all . . . but have no rights. This is not a situation that can be/should be tolerated for ever.

As regards the complaints BM's make about Thais . . . .often there are valid reasons

Lots of thai women cheat farangs out of money. Never happened to me but I have seen it happen first hand to several people and the newspaper reports come in almost daily of foreigners being dispossessed of their property or jumping off balconies. The fact that they are foolish does not make what the thai people do acceptable in any culture. if this has not happened to you it does not mean that you are superior in some way . . . like me you are just lucky.

It can be dangerous to take a taxi in Bangkok both my Thai girlfriend and many of her friends are scared to travel in taxis alone. She and i have had various disputes with taxi drivers who have been unacceptably rude or tried to cheat us . . a couple have ended in very, very heated circumstances but again I have been lucky.

As far as Engish and learning . . . .the poor and lower end of the social spectrum here recieve a pretty poor education. I have worked in seveal Thai schools and universities and can vouch for the archaic style of teaching however, I would prefer to teach Thais at this level than English kids. University students are not encouraged to think for themselves unlike their english counterparts. It is however impossible to generalise as while Thai students may be poor communicators they are outstanding mathematicians in some cases.

The rich can and do simply buy their way into university even places as eminent as Chula. A bit like our royal family eh?

But I hardly imagine anyone actually shares this information or associated feelings with Thai people . . . that would be pointless and self defeating. We, I believe (certainly the English) are often painfully polite in our dealings with foreigners . . . so the argument posited that we should stop moaning about thais and that those people who experience problems with taxi drivers (LMAO) or Thai women etc are in some way to blame for their own demise is patently ridiculous and in fact a betrayal of freedom and equality.

Just because we live in another country does not mean we should close our eyes and stop our ears or mouths . .. .

Would they miss us . . . . if they did, we would never know as they would never admit it as this would equate to loss of face on a national scale.

Edited by cheyenne
  • Like 2

Yes but,

On ThaiVisa it seems that ALL Thais are targeted in the abuse, not just the guilty.

it's like saying ALL Farangs are big fat smelly useless slobs that only come to Thailand to exploit poor women !

OK, lets put it this way, if I was a Farang that was considering Thailand as a retirement destination and I came across ThaiVisa general Topics, and I believed everything posted was true, I would steer clear of Thailand, but I would wonder why those complaining are still there, if in fact they are there, and if they are, it can't be as bad as it's made out to be.

If the whole of farang wealth and business pulled the plug and went home,Thailand would truly be up the Chao Phraya without a paddle.First let's take all the vehicles on the road, mostly Japanese car and motorcycle makers.Then all the USA fast food businesses throughout the country,this is without mentioning the trillions of baht tied up in farang property,plus all the trillions farangs have tied up in Thai banks and stocks and shares.Do i need to go any further?

For the 10 + years I came to Thailand as a Tourist, spending money like there was no tomorrow.....yes, they wanted and need me.

Now I've lived here full time for a while and watch every Baht I spend ( thanks to the Thai wife) and I'm not doing tourist type things..

Now , they could probably do without me!

Edited by willyumiii
  • Like 1

Needing us and wanting us are two different things. They need us but they don't want us....just our dosh....so you can come and leave your wallet and then leave immediately.

Wise Man. I had to write down your comment. Its was Harsh but TRUE wai2.gif

A bit like Brighton or Lake Districts or any other tourist area I guess? Maybe one reason Thais object to us farang (if they indeed do) is the way 90% of farangs bad mouth and slag off the Thais?

if you could understand thai you would be shocked the way thai's bad mouth and slag of farang i think you would leave tomorrow

• Like 2

I like thailand. When I m back to Europe or USA I feel miserable. In Europe I am mister nobody, just a number, a piece of crap, a tax payer, a vat payer, a white man with white men and dumb white women... Basically in Europe, we got no respect. You are just a passport number, a ssn, or someone who come to steal jobs of USA citizen, or whatever.... Here in thailand, it s different. First, cost of life is much cheaper and people know you have money and just for that you got some respect. If you are stuck near the airport, take a cab and go in a 600 bahts hotel. Need food in the middle of the night(or a beer) after a long flight to Thailand, go to 7/11 and get food for 100$. Where do you get this in Europe? Where can I walk at night in USA? Here I can, here in Thailand, I feel safer... Then we have white skin, and in thailand, it's a social distinction, we are automatically part of the higher class, when in Europe we don't have this concept really. Then all problems here can be resolved easily. Just be nice smile and relax. Try to be nice with a cop in USA, and he will arrest you for corruption temptation while here you will get a nice smile and we fix the problem with a small banknote under table. Really I need more thailand than thailand needs me.

Agree that the cost of living is cheaper and that the country is generally safer walking around at night but what are you talking about not getting respect in Europe?

Do people throw rotten fruit at you as you walk down the street?

Do women bitch-slap you for talking to them?

You need to work on your sense of worth, mate.

I don't know what respect you think your relatively greater wealth or your white skin gets you here; I've seen too many moneyed white people have the complete piss taken out them on a daily basis to agree with you.

To get any real respect in this country, I'm afraid you'll have to do a damn sight more than book a flight and sign a lease on a condo.

Q: Oh, you are leaving? Do you go back to work?

A: Sorry, I have no money.

(you are then worthless, please return with money. gain weight, get ugly; who cares, just bring back money)

Q: Oh, you are leaving? Will you be back next year?

A: I need to go home to sell a few of my houses and might come back

(they now love you, you can marry anybody)

As a single individual, perhaps Thailand does not need any of us !

However, I would like to think that some of us have made a slight difference to the country, and contributed in some small way

as a 'farang' to the economy and tourist industry. I work in Anti-aging Medicine (AAM), and if there is any way a better quality of life can be broadcast, then it can only be for the better, particularly in a country where there is not a National Health Service. Longevity is not important per se, but pushing back the age at which dependency and / or debilitation sets in, is important everywhere, especially in Thailand.

I like thailand. When I m back to Europe or USA I feel miserable. In Europe I am mister nobody, just a number, a piece of crap, a tax payer, a vat payer, a white man with white men and dumb white women... Basically in Europe, we got no respect. You are just a passport number, a ssn, or someone who come to steal jobs of USA citizen, or whatever.... Here in thailand, it s different. First, cost of life is much cheaper and people know you have money and just for that you got some respect. If you are stuck near the airport, take a cab and go in a 600 bahts hotel. Need food in the middle of the night(or a beer) after a long flight to Thailand, go to 7/11 and get food for 100$. Where do you get this in Europe? Where can I walk at night in USA? Here I can, here in Thailand, I feel safer... Then we have white skin, and in thailand, it's a social distinction, we are automatically part of the higher class, when in Europe we don't have this concept really. Then all problems here can be resolved easily. Just be nice smile and relax. Try to be nice with a cop in USA, and he will arrest you for corruption temptation while here you will get a nice smile and we fix the problem with a small banknote under table. Really I need more thailand than thailand needs me.

Agree that the cost of living is cheaper and that the country is generally safer walking around at night but what are you talking about not getting respect in Europe?

I don't know what respect you think your relatively greater wealth or your white skin gets you here; I've seen too many moneyed white people have the complete piss taken out them on a daily basis to agree with you.

To get any real respect in this country, I'm afraid you'll have to do a dam_n sight more than book a flight and sign a lease on a condo.

Yes we got no respect In Europe. Forget about the please and thank you.

Ladies just want money, house and a car. They don't need a man, they just want a guy paying their tax so they can play the madam.

Most ladies in Europe are obese. Here in Thailand very hard to find obese people.

In Europe or USA you got 100 guys for 1 available women. See what kind of respect you got when she can get anybody she wants....

Here ladies fight for you, because men can get 10 women in 3 minutes.

Even at the gas station, people serve me fuel. In USA/Eu forget about it.

In USA and Europe , anybody is now just a dumb citizen, we all bend..

Here we stand up and shout.... Everyday my lady makes me my coffee.

Most ladies in Europe are obese. Here in Thailand very hard to find obese people.

In Europe or USA you got 100 guys for 1 available women. See what kind of respect you got when she can get anybody she wants....

No.

What you should be saying is that most ladies in Europe that you could get are obese.

It's just funny how all the guys I know back in Europe are with attractive women who take care of their appearance and aren't after a house or a car because they can buy their own.

Maybe you had some bad experiences and you're still bitter about them but if you were a failure with women in the West, there's a really good chance that you will repeat your failure with women in Thailand.

• Like 1

No.

What you should be saying is that most ladies in Europe that you could get are obese.

Funny. And usually true.

Edited by Mr Average

I've never asked any Thai if they wanted me here, nor do I really care. I've never been asked for my wallet by any Thai, but to purchase anything I certainly have to pay for it, like everywhere I have been. The perception may be correct, but from my experience, it is irrelevant.

Agree that the cost of living is cheaper and that the country is generally safer walking around at night but what are you talking about not getting respect in Europe?

To get any real respect in this country, I'm afraid you'll have to do a dam_n sight more than book a flight and sign a lease on a condo.

Ladies just want money, house and a car.

PATHETIC, What a pathetic reply. Are you saying thai ladies dont want money, house, car, and what nonsense, 100 guys for 1 women. and a man can get 10 women in 3 minutes. Pathetic. What you mean is a man can get 10 prostitutes here in 3 minutes, and if you think you get respect here , you are a fool. Also if there are so many available woman here, why do so many farang marry a prostitute ?

Ladies just want money, house and a car. They don't need a man, they just want a guy paying their tax so they can play the madam.

Even at the gas station, people serve me fuel. In USA/Eu forget about it.

In USA and Europe , anybody is now just a dumb citizen, we all bend..

Here we stand up and shout.... Everyday my lady makes me my coffee.

Yeah sure, in your (wet) dreams, this usually translates as, we can get the ladies no Thai men want.

Take a trip out from the lower Suk ghetto and see how hansam or desirable you are up in say, Thong Lor, RCA or Ratchada.

Report back here and let us know how you got on

Everyday my lady makes me my coffee

Are you sure you dont mean hired help?

Then we have white skin, and in thailand, it's a social distinction, we are automatically part of the higher class, when in Europe we don't have this concept really.

LOL,(" farang are automatically part of the higher class".) <deleted>, wise up, farangs are lower than soi dogs, thats why many of them marry prostitutes. How many high class thai men marry Issan pros. Please,Wise up