Does Thailand need you?

Phronesis

Does Thailand need you?

If you decided to head to the airport tomorrow, would your departure bother the TAT, or would they celebrate it?

If the TAT had their time again, would they even have sought to attract you as a tourist or expat, or would they have preferred another type of visitor?

• Like 1

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have not read any serious analysis of the impact of the expat community and tourism on the economy of Thailand. If you have any references, please cite them. I can only hypothesize, that the short-term tourists are more valuable than the retirement visa guys, but who knows.

Edited by JHenry

Needing us and wanting us are two different things. They need us but they don't want us....just our dosh....so you can come and leave your wallet and then leave immediately.

A bit like Brighton or Lake Districts or any other tourist area I guess? Maybe one reason Thais object to us farang (if they indeed do) is the way 90% of farangs bad mouth and slag off the Thais?

Apart from the dreadful mentality of Thai drivers and MB riders, I don't think anywhere near 90% of Farangs badmouth and slag of Thais.

• Like 1

I'd like to think I am important to my Thai wife and children also a couple of friends and family, but anybody else I'd rather not even appear on their radar as anything other than just another guy

So I guess not 'needed' by 'Thailand' suits me fine

• Like 1

Needing us and wanting us are two different things. They need us but they don't want us....just our dosh....so you can come and leave your wallet and then leave immediately.

A bit like Brighton or Lake Districts or any other tourist area I guess? Maybe one reason Thais object to us farang (if they indeed do) is the way 90% of farangs bad mouth and slag off the Thais?

Apart from the dreadful mentality of Thai drivers and MB riders, I don't think anywhere near 90% of Farangs badmouth and slag of Thais.

Maybe he mean't ThaiVisa members, not normal Farangs? smile.png

I don't think you will be getting many more 'likes' from now on.

I choose to reply to the head line. no

Now if the question have been do I need Thailand the answer would be. yes

Stupid question

Thailand needs me no more than Canada or the United States both of witch I can live legally in. No warrants out on me people that miss me in both and I can afford to live in either one of them.

As for does Thailand want me yes I contribute to the economy and on the personal level help certain people who I know are not drinking it up of drugging it up. Why would they not want me. I cause no problems I obey there laws better than most of them. Why would they not want me?wai2.gif

I remember the invasion of rich Arabs in London in the 80's - everbody despised them.. Same with the more recent influx of Polish etc.. Was the same in the 70's with the Irish too. Germans don't like the Turks being in Germany, French don't like anybody (even other French), Israel wants to keep Israel secular. I could go on.. I think wanting to keep your own country your own, is not limited to Thailand

Agreed.

But that does not mean they don't want any one else in it.

On a personal level no they don't need me but on a human level they appreciate what I contribute to them small as it may be on the over all scale of things.

edit

With or with out me it is still there country.

Edited by hellodolly

Really? Cos if the posts that come up here on TV are a guage then it's probably more than 90%. All I see are posts slagging (deep breath) wives and girlfirends (according to most of the posts here they're all thieving lying slags), government corruption, police corruption, jet ski operators, taxi mafia, rude service, bad roads, lack of English abilities, bad education, hit men, drunk thai men, drunk thai women, visa challenges, bribery, lack of police abillities, criminals getting bail instead of going to court/prison, condition of roads, lack of driving skills... That's just about ALL i read here, no wonder they have bad feelings ay? and if you think the only thing farangs say bad about the Thais is Thai drivers an MB riders, you must be reading different posts to me mate!

• Like 1

I remember the invasion of rich Arabs in London in the 80's - everbody despised them.. Same with the more recent influx of Polish etc.. Was the same in the 70's with the Irish too. Germans don't like the Turks being in Germany, French don't like anybody (even other French), Israel wants to keep Israel secular. I could go on.. I think wanting to keep your own country your own, is not limited to Thailand

Agreed.

But that does not mean they don't want any one else in it.

On a personal level no they don't need me but on a human level they appreciate what I contribute to them small as it may be on the over all scale of things.

edit

With or with out me it is still there country.

don't know.. maybe, maybe not. I personally have never had an issue with any Thais - just the opposite in fact. But I hear/read about various farangs getting into all sorts of conforntations with the locals. I guess maybe those people will be missed more than you or me!

lol!! I wish I had read you comment a minute ago, it would have saved me going into a lengthy explanation on just that!!!! Bazinga! you got it in one!