What would you do?

bendovid

i'm 66 y.o now and very happy to have a very good pension because of working in EU. So there is not any option to work in Thailand with no future of any pension later. Don't fool yourself.

Your wife/GF can come whenever it's possible.

If you die tomorrow it will all have been a waste of time.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i'm 66 y.o now and very happy to have a very good pension because of working in EU. So there is not any option to work in Thailand with no future of any pension later. Don't fool yourself.

At your age you desperately need to build up your capital. You WILL need it later. Best advice is to work in the UK, or wherever you can work and save the most.

Your need for money in the future should outweigh any other consideration.

Take steps to have your gf with you. If it doesn't work out with her, don't worry...plenty more available. But, remember the law in the UK relating to what happens upon break-up of a relationship can potentially be ruinous to you financially. From that point of view it's better to leave her here and come to visit whenever you want, and/or just get her over on a Visitor visa occasionally.

What rubbish, live for today.

Sent from my GT-I9152 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I appreciate your sentiments but it was my 'live for today' attitude that left me penniless from savings at the end of my time in Thailand with the need to come back to the UK straight away to save some money,,so now I am trying to be more thoughtful about my future and hence why I asked everyone 'what would you do'. Love is no good when you are lie in bed every night wondering how on earth you will manage to save any money for a future-which I would like to involve children, having a car, finishing off building our house in Thailand etc etc..My wife also thinks like you but without doubt one day would have turned around to me and said, "come on let's buy a car/finish the house etc etc. A couple can only go so far living day by day with the money they need but never having savings. It's a dangerous situation to be in in Thailand also when you consider healthcare costs and if I lost the job there, then what..

Thanks for that

facepalm.gif

Thanks for that

facepalm.gif

I'll get a small pension from Thailand as I've been working here for 20 years and paying into the social security. I won't be getting one from the UK as I've haven't worked nearly enough years.

I just got a mortgage and could pay that off over 20-25 years when I retire, so I'll be rent free. I'm going for citizenship so won't have to worry about visas. I also have my kids as my pension plan. I don't expect to live to an old age but if I do it's a bonus. I chose to give up a high paying job as a petroleum engineer when I was 27 and came here and never regret that choice.

I can survive on 50k a month, my wife doesn't work. Two kids at private school, 18k mortgage. Are you serious when you say you can't save from 100k a month in Bkk?

Chinese wife she is 63 now. And in 2003 his son was in university in US. They did not want to be a caretaker for him in Thailand then. So this family get solution by asking me to be his Thai wife by accidental and still keep marry paper for his Chinese wife for legal matter. Due to she was in US. since she was 27 and never work in US at all. She will not entitle to any US SS benefit, this is only one reason a deal is not divorce Chinese wife for her benefit in US when an old husband pass on. And for myself and my path is help him develop agent business in Thailand with American buyers to come to Thai manufactures. All income for almost 10 years that support his Chinese wife in US and paid for his son a good living and got a car to ride to UCSD. All source of income both Thai and US family come from a company that I run a business.

After he went under 5 of L-spine surgery he completely cannot walk but pain get very good result of healing.

After surgery he lives his life on a wheelchair and have to wear adult diaper. I feed him and wash him caring him and do business correspondents by email to customers in US and he called by phone only. In 2004 customers did not know me but from a years customers visit manufactures in Thailand and get to know me was doing business in a company for him In a company (not homeowner) only me to run a business because we do not need staff for Agent business is on sell and bring buyer to factory and they do trading between buyer and manufacturer we got 4% from FOB price. He gave her 10,000 USD per month plus his SS check start when he was 65. He used to travel to Taiwan from time to time. He came to Thailand in 1996 because Taiwan stops to be industry/low labor cost country.

In 2004 we became a couple and his Chinese wife in Cal know it but she is ok because she said he need a caretaker. In 2004 he set up a company just for purpose of buying a house for 100,000USD. or 4 million THB then. My status transfer form Thai wife to be a business partner. Because of my experience job from trading company, I run a business for almost 10 years and I send money to US from 2004 to Chinese wife and son until he graduate in 2008. Unfortunately it was not good time to get job it was sub-prime and CDO crisis then. In 2009 after Lehman Brother collapsed 90% of our customers filed Chapter 11. Thai manufactures that sent shipments to various US customers lost millions of dollars. We got hit too. We lost all our money we and must be part of our buyer to pay debts to factories because most of factories run business by bank loan when business good they honestly pay us our commission. So we cannot just turn our back on them. Factories close down and have to provide some money to workers. In Jan 2010 we have nothing left. Only a house to live in but big issue is his hospital and med bills that about 1,000 dollars per month at Bangkok hospital.

Because his Chinese wife she is 63 now. His son was in university in US. They did not want to be a caretaker for him in Thailand. So this family get solution by asking me to be his Thai wife and still keep marry paper for his Chinese wife for legal matter. Due to she was in US. since she was 27 and never work in US at all. She will not entitled to any US SS benefit, this is only one reason a deal is not divorce Chinese wife for her benefit in US when an old husband pass on. And for myself and my path is help him develop agent business in Thailand with American buyers to come to Thai manufactures. All income for 10 years that support his Chinese wife in US and paid for his son a good living and got a car to ride to UCSD. All source of income both Thai and US family come from a company that I run a business. After he went under 5 of L-spine surgery he completely cannot walk and live his life on a wheelchair an have to ware adult diaper. In a company only me to run a business because we do not need staff-agent business is on sell and bring buyer to factory and they do trading between buyer and manufacturer we go 4% from FOB price. He gave her 10,000 USD per month plus his SS check start when he was 65. And travel to Taiwan from time to time. He came to Thailand because Taiwan stop to be industry country. After one year I transfer form Thai wife to be a business partner. Because of me run a business for 10 years and I send money to US from 2004 to Chinese wife and son until he graduate in 2008. Unfortunately it was not good time to get job it was sub-prime and CDO crisis then. In 2009 when Lheyman Brother collapsed 90% of our customers filed Chapter 11. Thai manufactures that sent shipments to various US to our customers lost million of dollars. We got hit too. We lost all our money we must be part of our buyer to pay debts to factories because most of factories run business by bank loan. In Jan 2010 we have nothing left. Only a house to live in but big issue is his hospital and med bills that about 1,000 dollars per month to Bangkok hospital.

More information when it was a few months while I was his caretaker I was looking for job to go back to work in trading companies in Thailand. And I got it a few months later. I was prepared to leave them I even discuss with his wife and his son. An old man said he is better live in Thailand because it will be too expensive to live in U.S. and he need me not his wife to live with him in Thailand. Wife accepted as long as he make commission from his Agent to Thai manufactures and earn enough income to give his wife 10,000USD per month. Anyways, his Chinese/American son even said to me his father needs me not his Mom to be in Thailand. The bottom line is " see a son email. About a house" I post it on this topic for a purpose to tell a farang do not buy a house buy a condo under farang own name is my advice.

Date: Fri, 9 Nov 2012 12:39:49 -0800

Subject: Re: California is a no fault divorce state - default judgment
Ya,

If my mom divorces my dad, then she loses all social security benefits that she is entitled to. We already had this discussion that after my father passes on, you will get the house and we will not interfere.

For you to ask my mom to divorce my dad is selfish and unfair. Both you and my father made the choice together to live the life that you guys are living. Don't bring my mom into this. I hope you understand this.

Shane

Noreya,

I think you need a new page to post this and let people talk to you! I see what you say about not trust thai lady to buy house there..I thought you were a nice lady before but this is just horrible. Why are you major shareholder of his house? You be with him for 10 years and take care him also but that does not make you right to take from his son, he is his blood and if you be good woman you give everything back to him. Very worrying...

Thanks for that

facepalm.gif

I'll get a small pension from Thailand as I've been working here for 20 years and paying into the social security. I won't be getting one from the UK as I've haven't worked nearly enough years.

I just got a mortgage and could pay that off over 20-25 years when I retire, so I'll be rent free. I'm going for citizenship so won't have to worry about visas. I also have my kids as my pension plan. I don't expect to live to an old age but if I do it's a bonus. I chose to give up a high paying job as a petroleum engineer when I was 27 and came here and never regret that choice.

I can survive on 50k a month, my wife doesn't work. Two kids at private school, 18k mortgage. Are you serious when you say you can't save from 100k a month in Bkk?

You have two kids at private school, pay 18k a month to a mortgage and survive on 50k per mth? How on earth do you do that? From what I have heard, private school fess ain't cheap in Thailand.. I would also not be happy to think of my kids as my pension plan..I know that in Thailand it is quite normal to think like that but I would not want to put that burden on mine..In answer to your question, yes many people could survive and save from 100k a month but i don't want to spend my whole life worrying about what I am spending..We want to buy a car/finish building our house which has already cost 450,000 and will need another 350,000 to completion, put kids when they come into private school, have money to visit my family from time to time in the UK and keep emergency money for medical, plus we have to send 10-15,000 back to my wife's family every month to help them and look after our adopted daughter(my wife's sister died at childbirth and now her child is looked after by us)..I guess everyone's situation is a little different and everyone's idea of a good quality of life also but in your case I can not see how those numbers can add up??

bendovid

Thai Social Security - Old Age Pension Benefit: (60 years)

Anyone work in Thailand - Having made contributions for not less than 180 months and is entitled to old age pension benefit on monthly basis at the rate of 20 percent of last 60 months of average wage which is used as a basis for calculation of the contribution before the status of being the insured terminates.

20 percent of last 60 months of average wage (used as basis for calculation of contribution)

Example 50,000 x 60 months Result is 50,000 used as basis for calculation

60 months

Remark: Most of Thai their 60 months of average wage not more than 30,000 B.