converting a tourist visa to an O retirement visa.

I was in Sakon Nakhon immigration on Monday this week getting an extension of stay to my Non Immigrant 'O' visa. I gave them the letter from the embassy certifying my income. My address was verified. I filled out the forms gave them copies from my passport and in a bit more than an hour had the extension. Although I had enough income they still asked to look at my bank book. As usual it was gross income used to convert but they had a printout from the Bangkok Bank and used the selling rate. I am sure this was wrong but it gave me a higher figure.

While I was there I asked the Sergeant Major for advice about a Danish friend who is currently on Tourist visas from Vientiane. He was previously on Non 'O' but they expired.

He said they would not allow a retirement extension to a tourist visa so he said my friend should go to Vientiane get a 3 month Non 'O' and then come back with that and the necessary documentation at the appropriate time.

This contradicts what some earlier posters have said. We know different offices seem to work differently. I would suggest anybody with should check with their local immigration office.

But anyone can convert in Bangkok and then do the actual extension of stay at there normal office if they do not wish to exit the country to obtain the non immigrant visa for a new entry. But remember should have 15 days or more remaining on current entry when doing this.

My two satang. smile.png

As others have already said, the police checks for an O-A Visa do not have to be for five years and are done in your home country. The exact steps and ease of obtaining that police check would vary depending on your home country. When I got my O-A Visa (in the US) the police check was a quick trip to the County Sheriff's office, fill out a simple form, and pay $20. They mailed me the completed document within a week. Easy-Peasy!

True, no police checks required for the Retirement Extension done in Thailand. But there are other hoops to jump through, like income letters from your Embassy/Consulate, "Money in Bank" requirement requires the money to be in a Thai bank and "seasoned", etc.

Getting the O-A Visa while in your home country has several advantages that some may like.

One, your bank money does not have to be in a Thai bank. It can be left in your bank/credit union at home.

Two, you get it all done before you arrive in Thailand and don't have to worry about the alphabet soup of visa types and runarounds in Thailand.

Three, you are getting all the required items/documents in your home country where you know the language and are familiar on how things are done.

Each way, O-A Visa or Retirement Extension, has advantages and disadvantages. Some may prefer the O-A Visa route and some may prefer the Retirement Extension route. Neither is right or wrong.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Only a very few immigration offices do the conversion. The ones that do them are normally the larger offices.

But anyone can convert in Bangkok and then do the actual extension of stay at there normal office if they do not wish to exit the country to obtain the non immigrant visa for a new entry. But remember should have 15 days or more remaining on current entry when doing this.

Sorry a bit late saying thanks for info.

So what I should tell my Danish friend who isn't married is the following:- Go to Bangkok with 15 days or more on your permit to stay from the Tourist visa, I assume it is Cheang Wattana, convert the tourist visa into Non-O and then when he has this go to Sakon Nakhon immigration about four weeks before Non-O permit to stay expiry, who will then grant the extension of stay for retirement.

Alternatively he could just go to Vientiane get a single entry Non-O and the go to SN immigration.

Presumably when going for the Non-O (in Bangkok or Vientiane) and also when going for the extension he will need exactly the same proof of finances. Some writers have written Vientiane does not ask.

If he goes to Vientiane he will not need any thing other than his passport to prove his age.

Also there is a possibility if he goes to Bangkok that he will have to return in two weeks to get the visa stamp done. There have been reports of a 14 day under consideration stamp being given.

If he goes to Vientiane he will not need any thing other than his passport to prove his age.

Also there is a possibility if he goes to Bangkok that he will have to return in two weeks to get the visa stamp done. There have been reports of a 14 day under consideration stamp being given.

Thanks very much. I haven't seen him for a week or two since he went to Vientiane for two more tourist visas. I suggested to him that as he wouldn't be there again at the consulate until he applied there for Non-O he should ask their requirements.

Hopefully he should confirm what you have said. If they told him any different I will post for your info and the benefit of any members interested.

Not seen him as he has 'rural Thailand syndrome' ie. a dodgy liver playing up.

Thanks again.

whistling.gif You can apply for a retirement extension in Thailand .... but you will need to meet the financial and age requirements.

What you are talking about is arriving in Thailand on a tourist visa.... and while you are here applying for a retirement extension.

First immigration will change your tourist visa to a non O visa.

Then they will extend that based on retirement. Sometimes, if you qualify they do both at the same time, but other immigration offices in Thailand will want to do it separately.

Either way it's actually a two step process .... just some immigration offices combine the two steps into one process.... same day service.

The other smaller immigration office may have to send documents back to Bangkok for approval .... that's why you may have to wait.

The bigger places may just combine both steps into one process.

There are at least 3 methods you can use to get a retirement "visa". (It's actually an extension given by your local immigration in Thailand for the reason of retirement NOT a visa).

You can:

1. Enter on a tourist visa, convert it to a non O, then apply for the retirement extension/visa. A normal single entry tourist visa is good for a 60 day stay but can be extended in country for another 30 days. So that gives a total of 90 days to meet the financial requirements and complete the process of conversion.
  2. Enter on a non O visa, then extend for retirement in Thailand. A non O visa can be given OUTSIDE of Thailand at a Thai consulate and is good either for 90 days (single entry) or 1 year (multi entry). A non O does NOT require either the police record check or the doctor's certificate.
  3. A retirement O-A visa from a Thai embassy in your home country which DOES need a police check and a doctor's certificate.

Each one has certain advantages and disadvantages. Whatever works the best for you should be your choice.

In my particular case, since I was not residing in my home country at the time I applied for Thai retirement, I was not able to get a police records check in my home country.

So the route I chose was number 2 on my list above.