Doritos in thailand---- yuck

otissp

The imported cheese version is sometimes found in Foodland/MaxValue and others but very erratic as obviously not well supported by Pepsi here. The local version (below) sold under Pepsi Lays trademark in small packs (about 1/3rd full) have only had in Nacho and BBQ and did not like either very much. In Lotus find El Sabor OK but prefer the imported Doritos branded bags.

ShotType1_328x328.jpg

Last week I picked up a bag as well - I thought they were awful, I'm surprised Lays allowed them to deviate from the recipe, local flavouring I understand but even when I offered them to my Thai clan they looked disgusted.

The good news is I found walkers salt and vinegar crisps for my muchie attacks.

I'm the OP of the Doritos thread in the Pattaya forum several months ago....

I was so excited to see local Nacho Cheese at local prices. The originals are my favorite snack, but being here 11 years now I only bought the imported version as a now and then treat. The imported versions come from USA and Australia. USA better flavour. Then on a trip back to Canada I noticed that while the flavour of the Canadian version was good, the chip itself was thinner than the USA or Australian version.

The overwhelming consensus it that the local version are pretty crap. I did mean to add to the original thread that I noticed there is a Facebook site for the Thai Doritos. I have so far resisted being Facebook assimilated (no mean feat in Thailand which has, I read, the highest penetration in the world), but that would seem to be the only way to get word back to Frito-Lay Thailand.

They have been a failure here. I see them being discounted in every supermarket.

That would not have happened if they had gone with what worked everywhere else in the world.

Thanks to a previous poster for for a scientific explanation for my Doritos habit. biggrin.png

• Like 1

McD double cheeseburger contains the same amount of meat and more cheese, for much less money. If you like the Big Mac sauce, just tell them "double cheeseburger made like a Big Mac". Penny pincher's tip of the day.

Those double cheese burgers are horrible. I like them back home but here they are vile. All the burgers here are actually and the chicken nuggets.

McD double cheeseburger contains the same amount of meat and more cheese, for much less money. If you like the Big Mac sauce, just tell them "double cheeseburger made like a Big Mac". Penny pincher's tip of the day.

Those double cheese burgers are horrible. I like them back home but here they are vile. All the burgers here are actually and the chicken nuggets.

I don't taste much difference, but then I don't usually succumb to McD's at home.

Actually, BK and Carl's Jr would be my choice, but McD's will satisfy an emergency craving for beef-n-grease.

was at the local mall with all the girls again today so I decided to check out my Tops Supermarket, which is one of the up market ones that sell a lot of imported food.

Doritos Nacho Cheese - Made in TAIWAN! By Pepsico Pty Ltd.

• 2 weeks later...

I have been looking for Thai priced Doritos for months just to give them a try. I don't see them anywhere. Maybe stores in Chiang Mai heard how terrible they are and just don't carry them?

All the 7/11's down here in Phits have them on the shelves UG

I finally found the BBQ flavor in a 7/11 in Chiang Mai. They were probably there all alomg, but the packaging was so different from what I was expecting that I missed them. I agree that they are not newarly as good as the originals. The texture is different - not as crisp, almost like they are stale - and there is a weird after taste.

If they were not called Doritos and were some Thai knockoff, they would not be that bad, but I do not understand why the original formula has been changed.

Yeah, Thai Doritos suck. It's not just the cheese. The corn chip itself tastes wrong. They are cheaping out on that too. Not sure how to describe it, it's not thick or dense enough or something.

Corn chips here are in a state of emergency. The Danita's are the same way. You can't even put them into cheese dip without their breaking apart. I've seen thicker potato chips.

I asked why the reduction and got two different answer. One said they were broken inside and the other said the bag wasn't pretty. I enjoyed them but have had better.

I would like to point you in the direction of the forum rules regarding not being allowed to discuss the specifics of prostitution mate. What? You were talking about Doritos and not a 2 for 1 down Soi Cowboy? Well in that case carry on! biggrin.png