Doritos in thailand---- yuck

otissp

I was delighted recently when I saw they started to sell Doritos in Thailand.

However upon actually buying a bag, they were totally revolting and did not at all resemble Doritos in the rest of the world. What exactly is going on here? I see a bit of an older thread in the Pattaya local forum where people theorize they were modified to better suit Thai taste. I dont think so. I'll bet it's money related.

There was an article in the NY times recently on Doritos, having food scientists explain the various reasons they're so addictive. (I'd like to be addicted, if I could get my hands on proper Doritos). One of the things they mentioned is that the cheese they use is actually quite expensive compared to what is usually used in snack foods. The bags of doritos selling here for 30 baht could go for three times that in the US. My guess is they cheaped out the formula so they could price it more in line with Thai snacks.

How devastatingly disappointing. I'm surprised Doritos is allowing their brand name to be dragged through the mud with these cow chips that are being packaged under the Doritos name here. The native Chachos, while not as good as real Doritos, are better than the thai version of Doritos.

Anyone ever seen real imported bags of the good stuff anywhere? Villa market or whatever?

• Like 1

I got a bag for 14 baht last night from Tescos, reduced from 20. I asked why the reduction and got two different answer. One said they were broken inside and the other said the bag wasn't pretty. I enjoyed them but have had better.

How devastatingly disappointing. I'm surprised Doritos is allowing their brand name to be dragged through the mud with these cow chips that are being packaged under the Doritos name here.

If they are selling well then maybe the consumers, the Thais, like the taste of 'their' Doritos.

I think it's one of the joys how food can vary in taste around the world, but still be called the same dish.

You do know it's origins come from Mexico?

"How devastatingly disappointing. I'm surprised Doritos is allowing their brand name to be dragged through the mud with these cow chips that are being packaged under the Doritos name here."

Who do you think is doing it, if not the Frito-Lay company (owner of the Doritos brand) itself?

I haven't had the nacho cheese flavor ones, but the original flavor ones that are made locally taste OK to me.

Doritos does seem to be experimenting with flavors customized for the locals. It makes sense they would cheapen them. No Thai I know would spend 1 more baht for doritos versus anything else on the shelf. Some time ago there was a burgundy red color pack I thought were terrible but a Thai told me they were good. Now the stores have a red and a yellow bag and I don't like the taste of either and won't buy them again. In my area there is a tops market that has real imported doritos and not marked up nearly as high as say villa so they can be found.

Not that I am a big fan of corn chips, but this was in the Australian News a couple of days ago, thought I would share it with you Doritos lovers..

Why you can't get enough nacho cheese Doritos
This story was published: October 03, 2013

BEWARE: You will probably feel like eating a bag of nacho cheese corn chips after reading this.

A scientist in America has broken down Doritos' classic nacho cheese flavour to work out what makes the chips so irresistible.

When Doritos inventor Arch West died two years ago, his family reportedly scattered the chips into his grave. Such is the sanctity of nacho cheese.

If you find yourself addicted to the salty yellow chippies, don't fear that you've got an overblown fondness for junk food.

Steven A Witherly, a food scientist and the author of Why Humans Like Junk Food, has explained to the New York Times that nacho cheese Doritos are the archetype of addictive processed foods.

They've been engineered so you never feel like you've had enough. Here's why:

The chips have the powerful savoury flavour known as umami, and also what Mr Witherly calls "long hang-time flavours" like garlic that create a lingering smell that stimulates memories.

The recipe balances these powerful tastes so well that no single flavour overpowers and lingers in the mind after you've eaten a chip. This avoid what scientists call "sensory specific satiety" or the feeling of fullness caused by a dominant flavour.

You wouldn't eat a whole bag of rosemary chips, would you? But you keep coming back for more and more nacho cheese Doritos.

Two acids - lactic and citric, get the saliva flowing - which triggers the impulse to eat. Another ingredient, buttermilk, delivers even more lactic acid.

Dorito dust has even more impact if you lick it right from your fingertips without the chip to dilute it.

To maximise the pleasure, half of the calories in Doritos come from fat. With that ratio, it feels like the chip melts on your mouth and your brain is tricked into thinking the calories have vanished too. This is called "vanishing caloric density" and it comes with fairy floss too, for example.

To boot, there's the three artificial colourings which research shows consumers are attracted to.

And the blend of ingredients is ground so finely (one of the finest grinds in food processing in fact) that the powder fills every nook and cranny of your mouth.

In short: You're defenceless.

I haven't had the nacho cheese flavor ones, but the original flavor ones that are made locally taste OK to me.

All I want is the original flavor. I wish that I could find it somewhere to give them a try.

They're out there. Villa for sure.

Excellent. I live kind of out in the boon docks, outskirts of BKK. But next time I get a chance to go downtown to the sukhumvit area where all the cool kids live, I will definitely seek out Doritos at Villa, etc., priced highter than usual and give them a shot. Would be even better if they were clearly imported with a sticker on them giving info in thai, etc.

Definitely for the Thai taste. have you tried cheetos here? Or even sun chips? They are invariably sweeter, and all the Thais I know like it that way. Think of it like iced tea in the US (there must be some UK equivalent)--in the North, unsweetened, and in the South, sweeter than your wildest dreams. They like the sweet here.

Yeah, Thai Doritos suck. It's not just the cheese. The corn chip itself tastes wrong. They are cheaping out on that too. Not sure how to describe it, it's not thick or dense enough or something.

Thai Doritos do SUCK! as do THAI style Cheetos!

That was a HUGE disappointment. There is Tim207 sitting on the stairs outside foodland excitingly opening the first bag of Cheetos he ever finds in Thailand. He starts munching away and within seconds is debating whether to bother finishing the bag.bah.gif

Yeah, Thai Doritos suck. It's not just the cheese. The corn chip itself tastes wrong. They are cheaping out on that too. Not sure how to describe it, it's not thick or dense enough or something.

Exactly the chips don't have that umph.... they're not crispy enough. They just sort of limply yield to your bite and fragment into sawdust. Real doritos make a loud satisfying crunch after resisting a little.

I think there is less fat in these, too. They taste kind of like a no-crunch, stale cheese, muted taste, low-fat variety. As they say in the restaurant business, fat is flavor.

Edited by otissp

How devastatingly disappointing. I'm surprised Doritos is allowing their brand name to be dragged through the mud with these cow chips that are being packaged under the Doritos name here.

If they are selling well then maybe the consumers, the Thais, like the taste of 'their' Doritos.

I think it's one of the joys how food can vary in taste around the world, but still be called the same dish.

Only the name. Doritos /dɵˈrtz/ (literally, from Mexican Spanish doradito or dorito: "turned golden or crisp") is a brand of seasoned tortilla chips produced since 1964 by American food company Frito-Lay (a wholly owned subsidiary of PepsiCo, Inc.).[1][2

I have been looking for Thai priced Doritos for months just to give them a try. I don't see them anywhere. Maybe stores in Chiang Mai heard how terrible they are and just don't carry them?

We get them in Makro Chonburi. Has Chiang Mai got a Makro ? 3 * 20 Baht packs in a 50 Baht wholesale multipack IIRC.

Only the name. Doritos /dɵˈrtz/ (literally, from Mexican Spanish doradito or dorito: "turned golden or crisp") is a brand of seasoned tortilla chips produced since 1964 by American food company Frito-Lay (a wholly owned subsidiary of PepsiCo, Inc.).[1][2

Yes, thanks for that (sigh) ... I know where the 'name' and TradeMark of 'Doritos' comes from ... I was referring to the origin of the concept.

I suppose you believe there is such a food as Spaghetti Bolognese ... facepalm.gif and that you think it comes from Italy.

I was going to post about Doritos a month ago.

Living in a town like Rhek Thum, I was excited when I saw a small bag in Tesco Express. I bought it. I ate 'em with lunch.

For the remainder of the afternoon, into the night, I felt anxious as hell, my skin flushed, my head buzzed, my ears rang like someone had pulled off a couple of rounds next to my head.

Couldn't sleep that night. Ears still had ringing the next morning.

I have zero food allergies or sensitivities.

And, hey, with all that, they still tasted like crap.

Never again.

I was going to post about Doritos a month ago.

Living in a town like Rhek Thum, I was excited when I saw a small bag in Tesco Express. I bought it. I ate 'em with lunch.

For the remainder of the afternoon, into the night, I felt anxious as hell, my skin flushed, my head buzzed, my ears rang like someone had pulled off a couple of rounds next to my head.

Couldn't sleep that night. Ears still had ringing the next morning.

I have zero food allergies or sensitivities.

And, hey, with all that, they still tasted like crap.

Never again.

Ouch. Sorry to hear about your experience.

It's true that flavors could vary a bit from region to region I suppose, but these "Doritos" really bear virtually no similarity to the original Doritos in the US, it would be better to just name them something new entirely. Similarities - I was going to say color but even that's not true. The "Nacho cheese" flavor in thailand is kind of a light yellow color rather than a deep orange in the US. Well, they're also triangles, with some sort of cheese based flavoring on them. I guess that's about as far as the similarities go.

Perhaps they could call them something else, and say "Loosely based on the foreign product, Doritos"

I think it's mainly money, not taste, that accounts for the difference. These are made more cheaply so they can be sold more cheaply.

I have been looking for Thai priced Doritos for months just to give them a try. I don't see them anywhere. Maybe stores in Chiang Mai heard how terrible they are and just don't carry them?

All the 7/11's down here in Phits have them on the shelves UG

All the 7/11's down here in Phits have them on the shelves UG

I look for them every time I go to Rimping in the chip section(probably the best supermarket in Chiang Mai) and I looked in 7/11 the other day too. They might be somewhere in Chiang Mai, but nowhere that I normally shop. Seems kind of strange though.