Permissive Gender-lizations in Feminist Discourse

MacChine

As the other threads are getting very serious, and away from the OP request , may we have a thread to delve into the nuts and bolts of feminism vs patriarchy.

I'd like to start it out with an observation that the male user will often generalize western women as undesirable whilst generalizing Thai women as desirable.

However, bemoan when one generalizes about their motives for this.

Over and over we hear Thai women are like women used to be, they take care of personal hygiene even !! They certainly know their place essentially.

Yet I'm derided for calling this as sexist as it gets !!

I think men have a right to be as sexist as they can get away with, I just want them to admit it !!

• Like 1

I think the idea of dividing human opinions into patriarchal versus feminist as binary opposites is tribal simplification which results in mere sophistry.

Better to drop loaded terms and talk directly about what pisses you off and why-I relate to that better and I would hazard a guess a lot of people feel the same way. BTW- sometimes generalisations are useful biggrin.png

Yes they are useful,especially when true, but arbitrary allowance is unfair is the point.

Pissed off is a bit ordinary. I would describe my feelings as impassioned.

Two genders, one consistently harms the other in ways of war, rape, religion and sexual expectations. That's more than tribal grievance, it's global domination.

• Like 1

wow talking about drawing the long bow-you criticise generalisations and then drown whatever intellectual currency you might possess in them at the same time; generalisations and arbitrary allowance...phhhht. Its somewhat disingenuous to argue a case using the same rhetoric you utterly condemn.