Hybrid myth or fact: running engine dry?

Morakot

I collected a new hybrid (petrol electric) car from a car dealership. I went through a check list and was ensured that the car has five litres of petrol. As the yellow light already indicated low petrol before driving out, I asked again and was assured that yes five litres I have.

After driving off, at 35.4 km the engine cut off and a restart got me another 100 meters before it finally refusing to start again. Phoning the car dealer, I was told that because now I have run dry the engine, I have to put a minimum amount of 500 bath worth of petrol, before starting as otherwise the engine will be damaged.

My questions:

1. Why would five litres only get me 35.4 km, despite that the display summarising 17.8km/l average for the journey? Is there a sump in the tank that would store large quantities of fuel? Or is the display average just a wild approximation without any accuracy in such situation.

2. Why do I need to refuel a minimum amount after running dry? I am aware that with a run-dry diesel engine trapped air might has to be removed, or constantly driving with an excessively low fuel tank can lead to sedimentation damaging the fuel pump. What is the point here for a hybrid?

What are the facts? Many thanks!

Edited by Morakot
  • Like 1

There is fuel sloshing in the bottom of the tank. Once the pick-up tube in the tank sucks a little air in, it won't pickup the remaining fuel.

Why would you not just fill the tank up with fuel and be done with it until it gets low again.

• Like 2

Question 1 . : Why would one go drive 35,4 km if he know there is a maximum of 5 liters petrol in the tank.

Good point. I assumed that 5 litres will easily get me to a specific petrol station that was conveniently located at 40 km from departure, considering the extreme time constraint I was operating under. How wrong I was... facepalm.gif

Edited by Morakot

There is fuel sloshing in the bottom of the tank. Once the pick-up tube in the tank sucks a little air in, it won't pickup the remaining fuel.

I see, so this would explain why there would be some fuel left. But more than two litres is this realistic, is it?

I see, so this would explain why there would be some fuel left. But more than two litres is this realistic, is it?

My pick-up’s tank capacity is 76L and it usually takes around 68-70L to fill it once the light comes on. The most it’s EVER taken was 72.9L that was after driving much further with the light on than I would have liked. I would think it reasonable to assume there are several liters of fuel left in the tank when it runs out.

In your post you said: “As the yellow light already indicated low petrol before driving out…”The warning light is telling you to stop and get fuel. Realistically, unless you like walking, you should fill it up before the light comes on.

If you really want to know what kind of mileage you are getting, keep a record of how much fuel it takes to fill it, and record the odometer reading. After a few tank-fills, you can run the numbers and you’ll have a pretty good idea. The longer you keep the records, the more accurately you can calculate it.

For a better visual of what the bottom of your tank looks like, get a liter (litre?) of water and pour it out in your bathtub and see if it looks like a lot…

Always fill it up.

Don´t count on any fuel gauge, doesn´t matter if it´s an old or new car. It´s only a wild guess, as trustworth as a fortune teller.

I promised myself that i will never ever again walk along a lonely road in the woods to the next gas station xtongue.png.pagespeed.ic.6AXjMEeEEF.webp

My car computer stated: you can go another 50-60km, don´t worry. I avoided the nearest gas station and wanted to go to my favourite one with a decent store attached, only 15km further....then the road went uphill, but my car didn´t cheesy.gif

Why did they let you drive off with almost no fuel anyway? No matter if it was in Thailand or Europe, they gave me at least a quarter tank to start with. The days when cars got filled up are over though sad.png

• Like 1

In direct answer to your questions:

2. Because putting in 50 Baht makes no sense - it'd only get you another 30KM wink.png

I don't think that what they meant. They said, run-dry engine will be damaged, if not filled up with X mount.

Frankly I think, it's rubbish and is an insult added to "injury" caused from the blatant lie right into my face that they put five litres in there, I'd say. whistling.gif

So you made it 45 + 35.4 + 0.1 = 80.5 km on 5 liters. That is coming quite close to the 17.8 average your car was showing (17.8 x 5 = 89). Bit of fuel still in the tank and your board computer is accurate.

Edited by stevenl

So you made it 45 + 35.4 + 0.1 = 80.5 km on 5 liters. That is coming quite close to the 17.8 average your car was showing (17.8 x 5 = 89). Bit of fuel still in the tank and your board computer is accurate.

No, 10 + 35 = 45KM when run dry.

Edited by Morakot

No, 10 + 35 = 45KM when run dry.

Ah, see, sorry, misread.

• Like 1

Don´t count on any fuel gauge, doesn´t matter if it´s an old or new car. It´s only a wild guess, as trustworth as a fortune teller.

I promised myself that i will never ever again walk along a lonely road in the woods to the next gas station xtongue.png.pagespeed.ic.6AXjMEeEEF.webp

My car computer stated: you can go another 50-60km, don´t worry. I avoided the nearest gas station and wanted to go to my favourite one with a decent store attached, only 15km further....then the road went uphill, but my car didn´t cheesy.gif

Why did they let you drive off with almost no fuel anyway? No matter if it was in Thailand or Europe, they gave me at least a quarter tank to start with. The days when cars got filled up are over though sad.png

Well, when I picked up my car, the dealer was adamant that I get to a gas station asap... They were afraid I would get dry on the way. LOL In total there was still some 8 ltrs in the tank.

For sure, I would not have driven 35 kms... to get to a petrol station.

And to answer the one asking whether we are Americans... No, but if we have a car, we do not feel the need to be tight on gas when we fill the tank. ;)

• 2 weeks later...

Probably gets 5lts at the factory. A new car will typically be driven:

Off production line to factory storage yard.

(possible few laps of a test track on the way)

Out of storage area onto a car transporter truck.

Off transporter into a distribution yard.

From distribution yard on to another transporter.

Off transporter into dealership.

From dealer storage area into PDI bay.

Possibly a short road test.

Though wouldn't this particular car be running on its electric propulsion for short movements?