Isaan hit by oncoming cold snap

webfact

Isaan hit by oncoming cold snap

BANGKOK, 7 October 2013 (NNT) - Parts of the Northeast are being hit by a cold snap as authorities warn residents to take extra care to avoid contracting illnesses.

The average temperature has dropped to as low as 15 degrees Celsius in several northeastern provinces, including Loei, Nakhon Phanom and Sakon Nakhon, after a high pressure cell moved down from China to cover the region on Monday.

Provincial authorities have urged residents to prepare warm clothes and to take extra precaution while driving due to dispersal of fog in many areas. People who experience a headache, runny nose and sore throat brought on by the sudden change of weather are advised to consult physicians.

The Meteorological Department also predicted that another high pressure cell will prevail over the upper parts of Thailand during October 7-11. The temperature is expected to drop by 1-3 degrees Celsius as a consequence.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-10-07 footer_n.gif

That's it..I'm off to Isaan! Lol. Nearly a year in Bangkok and I still haven't got used to the heat/humidity. A cold (ish) spell would be great smile.png

Don't believe it. I live in Sakon Nakhon and it has been 30 degrees today. Lovely. Thai visa weather forecast does not show a drop to 15 degrees for the next 5 days. The lowest forecast overnight temperature is 21 degrees and from my experience it wont be that cold. The good thing for us up here is the rainy season seems to be over.

http://weather.thaivisa.com/sakon-nakhon/

• Like 1

That's it..I'm off to Isaan! Lol. Nearly a year in Bangkok and I still haven't got used to the heat/humidity. A cold (ish) spell would be great smile.png

Don't believe it. I live in Sakon Nakhon and it has been 30 degrees today. Lovely. Thai visa weather forecast does not show a drop to 15 degrees for the next 5 days. The lowest forecast overnight temperature is 21 degrees and from my experience it wont be that cold. The good thing for us up here is the rainy season seems to be over.

You always get these exaggerated weather non-stories at this time of year, foretelling of freezing weather and menacing illnesses for the North and Isaan, when in the event, the temperature drops from hot to slightly less hot and life carries on as before. The main beneficiaries of these predictions, as far as I can tell, are pharmacists selling more anti-flu remedies and the Dept of Disaster Prevention, which then seems to think it has the green light to declare a "cold disaster" and cash in big time, by going on a blanket spending spree (at hugely elevated prices, of course), which it can then hand out to grateful (but sweaty) villagers. I was living in Sakon Nakhon a few years ago when they claimed the temperature was 16 C, but I swear it never made it below 20 C, even at nights in the Phu Phan hills. In other words, its a good ol' time-tested scam.

The coldest day in Sakon Nakhon as of 2012 was December 31, with a low temperature of 14°C. The coldest month of 2012 was December with an average daily low temperature of 22°C. Only at night, temperatures drop below 20 degrees.

• Like 1

You always get these exaggerated weather non-stories at this time of year, foretelling of freezing weather and menacing illnesses for the North and Isaan, when in the event, the temperature drops from hot to slightly less hot and life carries on as before. The main beneficiaries of these predictions, as far as I can tell, are pharmacists selling more anti-flu remedies and the Dept of Disaster Prevention, which then seems to think it has the green light to declare a "cold disaster" and cash in big time, by going on a blanket spending spree (at hugely elevated prices, of course), which it can then hand out to grateful (but sweaty) villagers. I was living in Sakon Nakhon a few years ago when they claimed the temperature was 16 C, but I swear it never made it below 20 C, even at nights in the Phu Phan hills. In other words, its a good ol' time-tested scam.

What a croc....lowest temp we have had here so far is 13 degrees, we have a fireplace in our house which we use from time to time...longest stretch was 2 days straight without going out, we slept in front of it.

We have heavy duck down doonahs, no fan and it is getting chilly at night...even yesterday during the day was chilly.

• Like 1

When I woke up yesterday morning, my partner told me it was freezing out when I complained as he had turned off the air conditioner. To me it wasn't even cool and I've been living in the tropics most of my life. I however spent my youth in the cold north east of the US.

Agreed...but there are higher elevations (passed through the hills in the national park there) in most of these areas. Especially in Loei (1 1/2 hours away from me). I think they are referring the the higher elevations. It was cool enough for a blanket and no fan last night

It's cooler in the mornings, but not what I would call cold. At the moment it's lovely and sunny, around 30c

totster smile.png

Just outside of Udon Airport....at 10am was 26. Last night very comfortable and cool. Bright, clear skies this week. Humidity is low. I think we have the best weather in Thailand right now....

• Like 1

Now it's time to put those cute sweaters on all the pets. And overcoats on the owners.

The winter months here are the best (rainy season a close second). Unfortunately, the short cool season changes overnight to blistering heat, Feb - June.

When I woke up yesterday morning, my partner told me it was freezing out when I complained as he had turned off the air conditioner. To me it wasn't even cool and I've been living in the tropics most of my life. I however spent my youth in the cold north east of the US.

Agree..

Youth in a climate with cold winters and hot summers.

It is not cold if the water is not ice.

See below..that is cold!post-147745-0-73954600-1381216738_thumb.

I already lived it there: 13° C (I had a thermometer) with the ambient strong humidity it was so awful as you feel no clothes are enough to cloth you, local people at village were sitting around fires to heating themselves wearing big coat or blankets. It was a cold wind down from China too and happened for 2-3 days during hot season in March 2011 just after tsunami in Fukushima !

Wearing shirt with short sleeves and bermuda shorts weren't enough to cover me (let my jeans in Bangkok as I wouldn't need them with the extreme temperatures of the previous days). Stayed inside house to don't be colder, sneezing and getting a cold, in lack of tissues.

I have now a thought for my family in-law living in jangwat Sakhon Nakhon were it happening again this year !

Edited by Westaurel

Yep,same here in Udon Thani.30* today and yesterday and blue sky after hazy morning.Wonderful drop at night[about 24* I think] means we get a good nights sleep without the air con
  • Like 1

What a croc....lowest temp we have had here so far is 13 degrees, we have a fireplace in our house which we use from time to time...longest stretch was 2 days straight without going out, we slept in front of it.

We have heavy duck down doonahs, no fan and it is getting chilly at night...even yesterday during the day was chilly.

Which part of what I wrote is "a croc"?

And please clarify if the 13 C you mention is this year, or a minimum temp recorded in a past year? What temperature do you classify as "chilly"?

• Like 1

That's it..I'm off to Isaan! Lol. Nearly a year in Bangkok and I still haven't got used to the heat/humidity. A cold (ish) spell would be great smile.png.pagespeed.ce.CwSpBGGvqN.png

+1 laugh.png

Me too think when he was last time in Sakon. Was on January 2, 2013 in Phu Phan to bring our car to my favorite monk in Phu Phan to give it all the blessings and at 5am it was damn cold and I had to ask the monk to let me make a coffee.

Post by plachon

I am every December and January in Phu Phan because we support a forest temple that is run by my favorite monk that blessed me for the wedding, the birth of my son, the blessing of my new car, the blessing of my new Scooter and I enjoy my time with him and can switch of my mind. It if would have been 20 degrees I wouldn't complain but the temperature outside of the car showed 14 degrees that's why I took your post not serious. Blaming the government for making an extra bug shows the real intention of your post. BTW: Our house always get two blankets every years for the past 3 years. Don't really care if the government makes a profit because the blankets are free for us and have a nice Chang Beer Classic sticker on it but I do prefer Chang Export. laugh.png

Edited by MobileContent