Anyone had this Problem with Sophon Cable Broadband

bartender100

This is a long shot, my PC will not connect to Sophon cable anymore, there is nothing wrong with the incoming signal as my netbook connects fine.

Even the Sophon engineer could not do it, he said in not so many words, that the signal was fine so his job was done.

A friend who has better IT skills also tried for several hours today, we went though all the settings, including checking the bios

I have tried, uninstalling Nvidia which operate the net controller, and letting it reinstall on boot, also the IP numbers in the network adaptor are correct as verified by Sophon engineer

In desperation I did a clean install of windows, and still it wont connect, just get a yellow mark on the connection icon in the tray

I am running Win7 64bit, and have been using Sophon for 2 years without problem using their box , i don't use wireless

Please!!!!! any ideas? what could it be? and sorry about the spelling I am using a small devise to post this

Had the same problem in the US with Cox cable internet.

Hard disk failed so replaced it and decided to upgrade OS from 32 bit Windows 7 to 64 bit.

Could not reconnect with modem for internet access.

Kept getting a "651" error diagnostic.

After long process, in desperation I re-installed 32 bit Windows 7-problem resolved

If anyone knows why internet modems don't like 32 bit Windows 7, I hope they will enlighten us.

Your modem would need a driver for 64-bit Windows, and it would need to be installed/available.

Some manufacturers of older hardware didn't bother to create 64-bit drivers, but most modems in the past several years should have them, I would think.

Try to google "download 64-bit driver [insert modem make/model]"

Your modem would need a driver for 64-bit Windows, and it would need to be installed/available.

Some manufacturers of older hardware didn't bother to create 64-bit drivers, but most modems in the past several years should have them, I would think.

Try to google "download 64-bit driver [insert modem make/model]"

Sophon broadband don't use a modem, its a small box that the cable screws into, I don't think that the problem. It seems Win7 64bit Ultimate has a problem with some cable connects

Regardless if you call it a modem or not, there is some device that converts the signal coming in on your cable and transmits it to your computer. Whatever device relays the signal to your computer needs a driver for Windows to communicate with it. That driver needs a 64-bit version if the Windows version being used is 64-bit.

How do you connect your computer with Sophon? WiFi? LAN cable with RJ45 connectors? Or ... ?

Regardless if you call it a modem or not, there is some device that converts the signal coming in on your cable and transmits it to your computer. Whatever device relays the signal to your computer needs a driver for Windows to communicate with it. That driver needs a 64-bit version if the Windows version being used is 64-bit.

How do you connect your computer with Sophon? WiFi? LAN cable with RJ45 connectors? Or ... ?

This is the Sophon modem, sorry not a good picture.

Incoming is coaxial cable, out to PC is Cat5, its not wireless compatible, and its not possible to change the setting as you would with a normal router or download drivers to it

A Google search confirms many seem to have a problem with Win7 Ultimate 64bit and cable connections

As I said changing to Win 7Home , seems to have solved the problem

post-6099-0-12488400-1381468014.jpg

You can probably view the settings in the modem, though some of them are undoubtedly set to "read only" and/or need administrative rights to change. If you're game: Try typing http://192.168.1.1 or http://192.168.0.1 in the address field in a browser and see what happens. (Those are common addresses to access local router software, they are not addresses going out on the internet.)

It is possible that the router has no 64-bit drivers, but unless it is more than a couple years old, I tend to doubt that.

How motivated are you to pursue getting it to work with 64-bit Windows? If you want, we can pursue finding the router info and looking for appropriate drivers. The main benefit to 64-bit Windows for users is the ability to use more than 3.2GB RAM. Is that a factor? i.e. How much RAM do you have in your computer?