Buying An Slr Camera

skippers

I'm looking to buy a decent SLR camera.

Would I get the best deal in England or when I come into Thailand? Are any of the surrounding countries worth looking into for buying camera equipmant like Malaysia, Singapore, Cambodia, Vietnam and China?

Oh, and the same goes for mobile phones.

Many thanks in advance.

Edited by skippers

On the Thailand side check out Fotofile in Bangkok.

They have good prices and are very professional.

I suspect you will find their prices are better than the UK.

I also doubt you will do any better in any of the other countries around the SE Asia region.

Would I get the best deal in England or when I come into Thailand? Are any of the surrounding countries worth looking into for buying camera equipmant like Malaysia, Singapore, Cambodia, Vietnam and China?

Many thanks in advance.

You should consider the validity of the warranty. Many Cameras sold here cheap do not have a worldwide warranty.

Professional cameras tend to be substantially cheaper here if you buy in places such as Fotofile as they get them often from Hong Kong and other interesting sources, but amateur cameras aren't much cheaper.

It all depends on the particular Camera you want to buy.

Many thanks in advance.

I've been checking this out myself recently and if it's a digital SLR you want then the UK is cheaper than Thailand, Malaysia and Singapore for some reason, particularly if you buy online. Not sure about Hong Kong or China.

You may also find the newer models not available in Thailand.

Edited by madmitch

I also doubt you will do any better in any of the other countries around the SE Asia region.

I challenge your doubt... these Jakarta shops always beat Bangkok's in MOST of cameras and gadgets (same brand same type).

- jpckemang.com

- ek-gadgets.com

- tokocamzone.com

I challenge your doubt... these Jakarta shops always beat Bangkok's in MOST of cameras and gadgets (same brand same type).

- jpckemang.com

- ek-gadgets.com

- tokocamzone.com

But we did the comparison before and it didn't quite seem to me like things were particularly cheaper in Jakarta than in Bangkok.

- jpckemang.com

- ek-gadgets.com

- tokocamzone.com

But we did the comparison before and it didn't quite seem to me like things were particularly cheaper in Jakarta than in Bangkok.

Sorry, but I must say I proved it wrong if you saw my last post in that thread with fairer currency rate calculation. About 7500 Baht cheaper over new Canon 20D maybe was not much. But then still... it's cheaper.

Edited by xty

Sorry, but I must say I proved it wrong if you saw my last post in that thread with fairer currency rate calculation. About 7500 Baht cheaper over new Canon 20D maybe was not much. But then still... it's cheaper.

I don't believe you proved anything.

I don't believe you proved anything.

Well, don't know what to say more. Probably if someone trusts me enough to let me buy for him/her in Jakarta and I'll return with some change money. Maybe that time it will be believed.

I often ask my friend to buy me stuff from Jakarta (he's going back and forth every two weeks).

My last purchase (less than one month):

Lowepro Slingshot 200 AW = about 2450 Baht (in fotofile/photothailand = 3200 Baht+)

SanDisk Extreme III 4 GB = about 8750 Baht

Anyone got cheaper than those in Bangkok? I doubt it.

After all, I'm just trying to give some information and numbers, it's up to the buyer to decide.

Without looking at details, I can believe some products/models are cheaper in one country than another. But from previous thread you gave an impression like everything's cheaper in Jakarta, and only provided if you exchange your Baht or whatever for IDR at certain money exchange or some complicated method you described which I really couldn't care less. Well maybe I can give you a black market rate for Thai Baht, then everything's going to look cheaper in Thailand than elsewhere.

Edited by Nordlys

Without looking at details, I can believe some products/models are cheaper in one country than another. But from previous thread you gave an impression like everything's cheaper in Jakarta, and only provided if you exchange your Baht or whatever for IDR at certain money exchange or some complicated method you described which I really couldn't care less. Well maybe I can give you a black market rate for Thai Baht, then everything's going to look cheaper in Thailand than elsewhere.

I didn't say everything but mostly (at least some digital cameras & gadgets I care of). Surely food and clothings are much cheaper in Thailand.

Some products I gave as the examples are mostly original and have official warranty from local distributor. Black market products are even cheaper and you have the choice. And I don't think it's a complicated method, it's a standard one as you might do when you're going abroad (local -> USD -> local).

I would love to hear the information on where I can get black market products (camera & accessories) in Bangkok. I need to buy some.

I would love to hear the information on where I can get black market products (camera & accessories) in Bangkok. I need to buy some.

I meant black market money changer with better exchange rates than authorized money changers. Thailand had thieve's market in China town over twenty years ago but I doubt it still exists today, as a lot of products are much cheaper now than then. I heard from someone working at customs department that import tariff on digital camera is only 5% now (considered computer peripheral rather than photographic equipment).

If you want to buy 5D go to Japan. You can buy it for around 100K Baht these days or perhaps less if duty-free. Or can you buy it cheaper in Jakarta?

If you want to buy it here, Fotofile or World Camera are fairly good places to buy. Fotofile has a large selection, but oddly doesn't sell certain things, like Sigma lenses. World Camera goes into gray market, but their service is generally good.

Japan has very good DSLR prices, if you ever are there. The US also has good prices if you get it online. I got my friend a digital Rebel XT kit, which after rebate cost only 24,000 baht, compared to the 39,900 it was sold here for. Of course, you need to think about warranty... which I didn't care about, since the chance of the camera giving up the ghost in the first year was very slim.

I heard from someone working at customs department that import tariff on digital camera is only 5% now (considered computer peripheral rather than photographic equipment).

We are hoping so, then the products will be cheaper and cheaper in Thailand, at least more or less the same as "others", no need to go out of the country.

If you want to buy 5D go to Japan. You can buy it for around 100K Baht these days or perhaps less if duty-free. Or can you buy it cheaper in Jakarta?

The price now in Jakarta is about 24 millions Rupiahs with official national warranty, that's more or less around 100K Baht too.

I don't know if it's only Canon DSLRs or most digital products in general, but nowadays ever since USD is dropping, the prices are dropping as well, regardless the product source would be from Japan.

BTW, for information, just got back from Hong Kong on holiday while looking also for PMP. In general the prices are more expensive. For example Cowon A2 30GB (just coming to Thailand I think) sold for HKD3900 (the cheapest, or about $503) where in US it's only $369-379 (seen on the web). Other products such as DSLRs are more or less the same as in Thailand, some are even more expensive. I thought Hong Kong with it's tax free and one of the center of digital products are mostly cheaper. I guess I was wrong.

If you go to Hong Kong to buy stuff, be very much on your guard. HK is frequented by clueless tourists (me included) and therefore the scam industry is at its finest there. If you want a treat, take a walk along the Tsim Tsa Tsui tourist area... scam after scam.

You can get genuine bargains in HK, but only if you do your research very well.

If you want to buy it here, Fotofile or World Camera are fairly good places to buy. Fotofile has a large selection, but oddly doesn't sell certain things, like Sigma lenses. World Camera goes into gray market, but their service is generally good.

I just came across this comment - I know Fotofile (and their shop upstairs) but have never heard of World Camera - where are they? do they have a web site?

World Camera:

http://www.worldcamera.co.th/

Take note that the prices on the website sometimes don't actually reflect their in-store prices, which can be cheaper. They have a map, but it's in Thai.

http://www.worldcamera.co.th/images/mapcameraworld.gif

You can print out the map and give it to your taxi driver. They are in Chinatown, a short walk away from the popular Klong Tohm shopping area. A lot of other camera shops are there, too.

Was able to get a Velbon Sherpa carbon fiber tripod there (with head, albeit pan head) for 7,000, which is pretty cheap for a CF tripod.

For other shops, check out the other thread about shops.

If you go to Hong Kong to buy stuff, be very much on your guard. HK is frequented by clueless tourists (me included) and therefore the scam industry is at its finest there. If you want a treat, take a walk along the Tsim Tsa Tsui tourist area... scam after scam.

You can get genuine bargains in HK, but only if you do your research very well.

Most of the stores in Nathan Road TST are scammers! They have large selection of products though. Unless you already know what you're looking, how much to pay, warranty, and all the items included in the box, then you may try your luck.

Instead in TST, I found in Sai Yeung Choi Street stores (parallel with Nathan Road and Tung Choi/Ladies Market street) in Mong Kok are a little cheaper. Avoid big chain stores like Fortress, etc. They often sell more expensive.

• 4 weeks later...

I doing a research on the price of DSLRs in Bangkok. So i have come to realise that the price are cheapest from 'Bask' but lenses, fotofile is cheaper. Am i missing out any shop ?

Btw, is Bask reliable ?

Edited by LAMBO8