Your favorite bread in CM?

jaideeguy

I've tried most of the major superstore breads in CM and have determined my #1 favorite is Kasim's multigrain and 2nd is Makro's lite brown [unsliced] sandwich bread @ 59thb.

What's your favorite?? any secret little bakeries that make any outstanding bread. I would love to find some authentic sourdough bread in the San Francisco style............chewy and slightly sour.

There is a German Guy who runs a Bakery on Canal Road between Hang Dong Golf Club and Sanpatong and he bakes excellent bread, expensive but better than most of what is mass produced here.

Makro do some fairly reasonable breads as long as you stay away from the sliced muck. Don't think i've ever seen Frisco Sourdough here but someone somewhere might know where it is.

I've taken to baking a lot of my own lately, just for a change really.

Irish Pub bread is hard to beat.

Maybe they are still using Rosemary's recipes tongue.png

+1 some of the best.

I also like Butter is Better whole wheat sliced and their French bread but it has not been available at the Sansai location for at least a year and a half now.

Big C has some good breads but at about 100 THB per loaf - a little pricey.

JJ Bakery O.K. for whole wheat.

Irish Bakery never let's me down. I also like the "just add water" bread mix for an easy bake yourself option from the German guy spoken of above. For major superstore brand bread I would say Tops and store bought is at Rimping I think called Sabai (?? Help please). Some of the stuff at Kasim is a bit sweet and light for my tastes but I can't walk past without stopping in for a bag of their chocolate sticks!

i just buy Rim Pings, Whole wheat bread, the one like a ball,

sliced ,cost 37 Bht, buy 6 at a time when they have just come

in most afternoons, and put them in the freezer,so they last a

week,and are just as fresh as when I put them in.

Tried lots of different breads in Chiang Mai ,but have stuck to

this one for last few years, think it was only 16 Bht when I first

bought it. all the others I have tried,something changed,either

.the quality,or availability,or the taste.

regards Worgeordie

I tried making my own once, you could have built a house

with the stuff it was hard as bricks.

regards Worgeordie

Practice makes perfect, bonny lad.

Let it rise for longer, put it in a warmer place, that kind of thing.

You'll get it right in the end.

Nothing more satisfying than making your own loaves to your own taste.

I've always found the biggest mistake is not kneading it enough.

Stick a movie on while you're doing it and take your time, it's quite therapeutic.

• Like 1

Try this one dude and go sour from there. I use a cast iron dutch oven inside the big oven, and one of the very few things I can cook well, if at all...

Yeah CH, I was doing that method when my breadmaker broke down and was amazed by the tasty results and ease of baking. I used those stainless steel mixing bowls and baked it in my toaster oven, which got up to 400f+ degrees.............but broke, my gas oven barely makes it to 300f and I don't think that's hot enough to do the no kneed recipe? What kind of oven are you using??

I get my bread at Yamazaki. It's located in Air port Plaza G floor near the big fish tank.

To each their own but made for the Asian palate IMO. Contains sugar.

Yep, loads of Asian customers and the sugar is the reason.

Can't stand the place.

Irish Bakery never let's me down. I also like the "just add water" bread mix for an easy bake yourself option from the German guy spoken of above. For major superstore brand bread I would say Tops and store bought is at Rimping I think called Sabai (?? Help please). Some of the stuff at Kasim is a bit sweet and light for my tastes but I can't walk past without stopping in for a bag of their chocolate sticks!

The maker is Pie Sabai, makes various breads.

Dhara Dhevi Cake Shop - Dhara Dhevi Hotel Chiang Mai... very chewy and has true wild yeast taste! (only those who know how to feed and care for the wild yeast will know )

Dara Devi Bakery shop make true sourdough baguette and typical sourdough loaf

Wow...........where is Dara Devi Bakery shop?? and is their sour dough chewy??

Dara Devi Bakery shop make true sourdough baguette and typical sourdough loaf

You beat me to it.

Far and away the best bread I have tasted in chiang Mai. Always shop there. A bit expensive maybe, but you get what you pay for.

It is located in Kad Dhara (Fujian at one end, Oriental Tea Shop at the other, where you'll find the bread...and cakes...and macaroons...and....) which is to the right of the Dhara Dhevi car park as you enter.

I asked the owner she said she purchase the ready mixed sourdough from some suppler or something. Her sourdough is not too bad but it's dark rye. At Dara Devi some time they have white bread with sourdough yeast.

• Like 1

I asked the owner she said she purchase the ready mixed sourdough from some suppler or something. Her sourdough is not too bad but it's dark rye. At Dara Devi some time they have white bread with sourdough yeast.

I was raised in the Pacific Northwest and never heard of sourdough bread being a dark rye.