Your favorite bread in CM?

jaideeguy

There's a small Japanese bakery on the junction of Nantharam and Suriyawong, just South of Chiang Mai gate. Alaso has a small cafe attached. Great bread and pastries, and good filled baguettes, croissant and sandwiches.

I concur. Baan Bakery is one of the best in Chiang Mai and the price is right. thumbsup.gif

• Like 1

They do in Europe as quoted from wikipedia " Bread made from 100 percent rye flour, which is very popular in the northern half of Europe, is usually leavened with sourdough. Baker's yeast is not useful as a leavening agent for rye bread, as rye does not contain enough gluten." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sourdough wai2.gif

I asked the owner she said she purchase the ready mixed sourdough from some suppler or something. Her sourdough is not too bad but it's dark rye. At Dara Devi some time they have white bread with sourdough yeast.

I was raised in the Pacific Northwest and never heard of sourdough bread being a dark rye.

The French place in Nong Hoi,bread with a hint of Rosemary !

Rosemary who? xwink.png.pagespeed.ic.HJgPQ3U3SA.png

Where exactly in Nong Hoi alfie?

If he is talking about the place I think it is then go through Nong hoi towards saraphi. Go across the intersection with Mahidol road. There will be a collection of shops immediately on the left. Look for the Krung Thai bank. There is a soi that runs down from there. The french bakery is about 100 metres down there on the left. Great bread, croissants etc.

I asked the owner she said she purchase the ready mixed sourdough from some suppler or something. Her sourdough is not too bad but it's dark rye. At Dara Devi some time they have white bread with sourdough yeast.

Sour dough yeast?? I thought that the leavening sour dough was a portion of the 'mother' that you set aside and feed with flour and use it for the next batch. Can you actually buy a sour dough powdered yeast??

That's what she said I've never heard of that method either, but her sourdough bread was quite nice. Another real sourdough bread we can get is the imported purple whole grain bread from Tops, made in Germany but pretty expensive.

Sour dough yeast?? I thought that the leavening sour dough was a portion of the 'mother' that you set aside and feed with flour and use it for the next batch. Can you actually buy a sour dough powdered yeast??

The Hideaway restaurant on Hang Dong road makes great bread.

I dont care how much it costs as its good so cant tell you.

May I have some specifics on its location, please?

Drive out of CM on the Hang Dong road, 0.5Km before big Tesco, left in the soi just before the big SCB branch, follow the Soi through the housing estate, when it gets directly behind the SCB branch there is another soi on the left. Drive down that soi 50m, left is DelCheeso dairy, right is Hideaway Cafe. Lots of baked and dairy products.

http://goo.gl/maps/AexQG

Edited by FiftyTwo

Drive out of CM on the Hang Dong road, 0.5Km before big Tesco, left in the soi just before the big SCB branch, follow the Soi through the housing estate, when it gets directly behind the SCB branch there is another soi on the left. Drive down that soi 50m, left is DelCheeso dairy, right is Hideaway Cafe. Lots of baked and dairy products.

Many thanks. I'm not surprized I haven't noticed it in my years as a local resident!

Many thanks. I'm not surprized I haven't noticed it in my years as a local resident!

Yes aptly named Hideaway,not open Sundays but great range of bread products (baked on the premises),soft cheeses (Dao Cheeso) made opposite) ,yoghurts,sour cream, deserts, frozen goods etc .Love their veal sausages.

Delightful garden atmosphere and a huge menu for breakfast and lunch.Think they close around 6pm now. Small sign on Hang Dong Rd just before SCB bank as has been indicated.Same owners I believe as Art Cafe at Thepae Gate

Looks like this thread has gotten sidetracked into a home made bread recipe thread.................no problem, as it has awakened my hunger for sourdough and I was thinking about making some bread in my meat smoker this weekend while I smoke a couple of chickens. I'm on this great forum for smoking meats and found this simple recipe for sour dough starter that I have started already and will post results if good. Forum is smokingmeatforums.com

If you want to get some good sourdough flavor just add whatever amount of water and yeast the recipe calls for to an equal amount of flour the day before. Leave it loosely covered in a bowl on your kitchen counter for 18-24 hours and it will develop a nice sourdough flavor. Next day just add the rest of the ingredients and follow the recipe as usual.

Sounds too easy............

It's easy for me to start the starter using the "pineapple juice method". It's harder to maintain the yeast in this kind of tropical heat. Question: how could anyone use a smoker to bake artisan bread? You need more than 220c!

Good luck and looking forward to your success.

Edited by ARISTIDE

My home made smoker has gotten up to 450f [approx 220c], but I usually smoke at 225f. Great multi purpose smoker.

Re, the temp for yeast......my recipe said that 75f was optimal for the overnight souring process so I will keep it in the coolest part of the kitchen and shouldn't get above 80f, then after mixing the dough, I'll put it in a warmer place to raise. Howz that sound??

farm hous, you collect a few empty packets and get one loaf of bread free. smile.png which i haven't really bought in 10 years or so. JJ bakery whole wheat gets my vote. also Sourdough ball at Big-C Extra.

I can't say I dislike the taste of Farmhouse bread. But, when leaving this bread outside the fridge compared with bread made by Crusty bread, Pie Sabie, etc. Farm house remains fungal free for over two weeks and the other breads are eaten alive within 2 to 3 days, making me wonder what they put in the Famhouse bread.

The Farmhouse promotion is long gone here at my side of town. :)

• Like 1

I have some sourghdough starter that is about 5 weeks old if anybody wants some. I refresh it every day and have to pour out about half and refill with flour and water. It stays out on the kitchen counter and as of yet, it has not died. Just took a loaf out of the oven. Made with red chili pepper, 1 tbs 5 days ago and left covered in the fridge until today. Kneaded the dough cold, formed the loaf and let it rise for 3 1/2 hr.

Cooked at 200c for 1 hr.

Boat Bakery on Huay Kaew Rd near CMU has bread that's not sweet. They don't offer sourdough but last time I was in, I noticed a new item, a small baguette dusted with sesame seeds. It wasn't crusty like french bread and was light but would be good for a sandwich. The price was 15 baht. I buy their oatmeal bread (at least that's what I think it is because oats are sprinkled on the outside). A small loaf is 35 baht. I also like their whole wheat, which, with sunflower seeds mixed in, is denser than their other bread. Although the whole wheat bread isn't sweet, it does have raisins. I'm not a big fan of raisin bread but actually like it toasted in the morning. Price is 42 baht.

They don't have all the items every day and even after shopping there for many months, I can't figure out their baking schedule. And because of language communication difficulties I haven't even asked. I pass by frequently on the way to my post office box at CMU so will just buy what's available.

farm hous, you collect a few empty packets and get one loaf of bread free. smile.png which i haven't really bought in 10 years or so. JJ bakery whole wheat gets my vote. also Sourdough ball at Big-C Extra.

I can't say I dislike the taste of Farmhouse bread. But, when leaving this bread outside the fridge compared with bread made by Crusty bread, Pie Sabie, etc. Farm house remains fungal free for over two weeks and the other breads are eaten alive within 2 to 3 days, making me wonder what they put in the Famhouse bread.

The Farmhouse promotion is long gone here at my side of town. smile.png

I don't know the brand but am guessing it is the brand sold at 7-Eleven and very popular with late night Thai shoppers?

A few years ago I bought some wholewheat at 7-Eleven when everywhere else was closed. Later that night my child who was a baby at the time, developed a high fever and had to be hospitalized. The bread ended up in a bag in a corner of the kitchen, forgotten as the baby was sick for the next 10 days or so. About 2 and 1/2 weeks later we did a major cleaning in the kitchen and discovered the bag of bread. Amazingly it was still good! Not a trace of mold. Scared me. Never got it again.

• Like 1

Tesco Lotus bakeries, [even the mid sized Tescos] used to make a good french bread in 2 sizes and now seem to have discontinued it...........too bad, as the small size one made a good sandwich bun...........chewy crust and soft inside, but got hard after a day.

A little bakery in Chang Khian makes whole wheat bread, no sugar and quite large loaf. Great stuff.

Turn left into canal rd from huey kau rd, then left at the next set of lights. A little sign on the footpath about 150 mtre on your right reads bakery and coffee.

Also makes scones, danish pastries and some other stuff.

New to area and worth a look.

A little bakery in Chang Khian makes whole wheat bread, no sugar and quite large loaf. Great stuff.

Turn left into canal rd from huey kau rd, then left at the next set of lights. A little sign on the footpath about 150 mtre on your right reads bakery and coffee.

Sounds great. Is the left turn from Huay Kaew onto Canal in the direction of heading away from old town moat area, toward CMU? Landmarks near the new bakery?

• 4 weeks later...

Sounds great. Is the left turn from Huay Kaew onto Canal in the direction of heading away from old town moat area, toward CMU? Landmarks near the new bakery?

Sorry about the lateness

Coming from the moat

Turn right into Canal and then left at the first set of lights, about 800 metres..