Authorities target dangerous foreign drivers in Chiang Mai

webfact

• Replies 228
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cheek.

Then again I suppose it must be difficult for Americans and Europeans to get used to driving on the correct side of the road, I could see many of them getting into trouble, unlike we Brits who are naturally superior drivers due to our advanced testing, and knowledge of how to drive on the right.

I don't know why you guys couldn't just follow our lead. We tell you not to form your own government but nope, and look at you now, government is shut down. We tell you not to start the Euro but nope, you had to go ahead and cause a financial crisis, and now your over here annoying the Thais with your bad driving habits.

Strewth. Maybe we should restart the Empire and sort you lot out. coffee1.gif

I am not from any of the places you mentioned, however, from where I sit the Brits are no better than anyone else! What a crock!! I see more Brits in accidents here in Chiang Mai than any other country. I guess you will have to put a hold on restarting the Empire!

All these deaths on the Thai roads I am sure most are mostly caused by the bad driving foreigners teaching the blameless Thai drivers bad habits, better if all aliens were banned from driving on the wonderfully safe Thai roads altogether Stop the carnage,

• Like 1

Well, when you want to obscure the ridiculous driving of the thai people that there is only one way left, blame the bloody foreigners and tourists! Yes, they are trying to make friends all over the world!wai.gifwai2.gifclap2.gif

First special courts set up to scam foreigners. Now this. What a joke of a country. A special task force for foreign drivers?

"...but who also get behind the wheel of a vehicle without having the correct documentation, such as an international driving license."

Rental cars do not require international driving licenses ... does anyone know if Thai law does?

Did you seriously just said that rental cars don't require international driving licenses? well actually you are correct... THE CAR DOESN'T but the person DRIVING THE CAR needs one!

whether its a car, truck, or a motorbike, rented, borrowed or even stolen (might get an extra fine for that one) you, the driver, needs the proper documentation, which is either a driving license issued in the country where the vehicle is being operated and registered, or an international driving license from your own country, which will indicate the countries in which the driving license is valid.

Technically any European or American driving license is NOT valid in Thailand, as is vice versa. a Thai driving license DOES NOT work in Europe, unless you have acquired the Thai International Driving license (valid one year)

there's plenty of farang tourists who have NEVER driven a bike who decide to rent a 100cc scooter or honda wave and get into accidents/trouble. sure, thai drivers are not the best of the world, but at least most thai kids have been driving a motorcycle since the age of 11. farang have not.

• Like 2

Cheek.

Then again I suppose it must be difficult for Americans and Europeans to get used to driving on the correct side of the road, I could see many of them getting into trouble, unlike we Brits who are naturally superior drivers due to our advanced testing, and knowledge of how to drive on the right.

I don't know why you guys couldn't just follow our lead. We tell you not to form your own government but nope, and look at you now, government is shut down. We tell you not to start the Euro but nope, you had to go ahead and cause a financial crisis, and now your over here annoying the Thais with your bad driving habits.

Oh be quiet Meatpie , before your kettle boils Over ...coffee1.gif

• Like 1

there's plenty of farang tourists who have NEVER driven a bike who decide to rent a 100cc scooter or honda wave and get into accidents/trouble. sure, thai drivers are not the best of the world, but at least most thai kids have been driving a motorcycle since the age of 11. farang have not.

I just hope you are only ironic in your comment .

In Krabi it's age 7.......unfortunately their driving skills don't progress much further with age .

Cheek.

And in another post about the restive south, you mention being a Scot and voting to liberate your country from the Empire or did I miss something old chap? tongue.png

I'm just being opportunistic. Can't help myself. smile.png

Great Britain and the previous colonial countries, Singapore, Malaysia, drive on the left. This is almost certainly the reason Thailand does as well.

Edited by FiestyFarang

As a previous poster has mentioned--I am sure that he is referring to the recent influx of Chinese tourists--fresh from their home town and driving probably like they do in China--he can't mean us law abiding 'Farang', surely??

Drive on the RIGHT? Seems like you are one of those foreigners causing havoc on the roads.

I think Blether meant vehicles with the steering wheel on the right.

In Laos we just have corruption without the added hypocrisy of the Thais. Laughable.

Edited by laobali

Cheek.

Hear , Hear , !!! +1

Well, when you want to obscure the ridiculous driving of the thai people that there is only one way left, blame the bloody foreigners and tourists! Yes, they are trying to make friends all over the world!wai.gifwai2.gifclap2.gif

Yes buy if we pay 30 bucks for a worthless "International Drivers License" everything is fine? OMB that has to go down as one to the ever growing list of dumb statements

This is mainly about the Chinese scooter drivers up here which are really out of control. Pai the same.

They get here, jump on a scooter with their lovely little yellow helmets and proceed to drive the wrong way down a one way street.

In Pai I saw one get on a bike outside the hire center and proceed to pull the accelerator and crash straight into the opposite wall.

It really needs to be seen to be believed. And it's not only scooters, they are a bloody nightmare on bicycles up here too.

And this is low season, can't wait to see what the high season brings...

Edited by dansan
  • Like 2

That's normal , everybody knows that foreigners are the cause of all the accident in Thailand , the foreigner bus drivers , the foreigners pick up drivers , train drivers too most probably ... I just wonder what will be next as it seems foreigners are the cause of all Thailand problems .

They are just assuming that the drivers are foreign but there is no real evidence because the drivers normally do a runner.

• Like 1