Teacher from Pakistan seeking teaching work advice

honu

Greetings. A friend is looking for work in teaching here in Bangkok, but there is a problem. She is not a native English speaker, but instead from Pakistan.

I've read the initial post on requirements here and it says she "must submit a TOEIC/TOEFL or IELTS proficiency test certificate." Her English is ok but the test will tell if it's good enough.

She has a good bit of experience teaching primary school in her country, and a Master's degree, but I don't think it will be easy to translate that to teaching here.

I'd expect an International school wouldn't want to hire someone with non-native English speaking skills (per what I've seen in my son's school), and of course in a Thai school Thai language would really apply more. Or then again maybe English teaching in a Thai school is still an option.

Any suggestions about starting points or options?

Start submitting applications. Even non-native speakers can find work. She may end up being a subject teacher, for something like science, social studies etc..

She should be aware that there is some discrimination against people from the sub-Continent.

• Like 2

She may have all the qualifications and even be good at teaching, but it will be a miracle if she finds a good well paid job at any international school. Even if she was born and educated in a native english speaking country. I may be wrong, but that is my gut feeling.

If she wears the Muslim scarf, she will have problems. There are a few Islamic schools, including a rather large one on Pracha Uthit Rd -- I can't remember the name of it, but they would be a good place for her to put in an application.

The one on Pracha Uthit Rd is a pretty good school, I think.

Good luck to your lady friend.

I am not so optimistic about her chances of gaining employment. I take the point about the Philippinos but they do speak English.

The muslim thing will not help in Thailand, so she has to understand that in advance.

Are you saying schools in Thailand actively decriminate against teachers of the Islamic faith? I have a Thai family member, Muslim, who teaches in an all Buddhist student school, she had no problems in gaining employment.

Thanks for the input, especially the one lead suggestion (thanks Scott).

She isn't Muslim, but I'm not sure that will make a big difference. English competency at the native speaker level of fluency could be an issue. She has substantial teaching experience and two related degrees so she wouldn't need to just be an English teacher, but still the exact fit is hard to see.

It probably would be better to have a white face here, like to be a Czech that's so-so in English, so I'm not disputing the other related comment.

She isn't concerned about making the most money she can or working in the best school, she just needs a start, but she doesn't seem as great at on-line networking as would seem natural to me.

People here are likely working in those inter schools, where she probably couldn't, but I appreciate any other input about options. Working in a Thai school seems possible (again depending on language restrictions) but somewhat difficult to network to.

First, Simple1, many, many schools can and do discriminate against Muslims. Those who adhere to the Islamic dress code are forbidden to work in some schools.

If she has a degree and teaching experience, she has a reasonable chance of finding work, especially if she is willing to teach the younger learners. Women teachers are favored over men for the KG level.

She will need to take an English language proficiency exam, such as the TOEIC. If her English is reasonable, she should be OK.

I've interviewed many applicants from India and Pakistan at a Thai " World Class Standard" government school together with the Thai superiors.

None of them had gotten a teaching position. I'd say that many of them are pretty much racist, as darker skin makes people here to second class people.

She'll need at least a TOEIC test result with a test score of at least 650 points. (Out of 980) Good luck.- wai2.gif

• 1 month later...

Hello,

I have been going through the forums & this is by far the most relevant topic i could participate in,being a Pakistani national myself.I was reading some of the comments above & to some extent i do agree that majority of the Thai employers do prefer Caucasians over people who are a dark skinned or at least perceived to be,but on the other hand I do know about some people who are from Pak/India teaching in Thailand earning a decent living.Its all about being there at the right time having right connections.Nothing is written in stone here so its better to be optimistic,& of course reassurance is required sometimes whistling.gif cheers

I work in an international school in China currently and I work with 3 people from Pakistan. Most have masters in education or business. They are treated well and are excellent teachers. Thailand's schools are harder to get into just because more want to live and work in Thailand.

I work in an international school in China currently and I work with 3 people from Pakistan. Most have masters in education or business. They are treated well and are excellent teachers. Thailand's schools are harder to get into just because more want to live and work in Thailand.

Zeichen can you share some info on the work situation there in china for Non natives,because i was told that the Non Natives had to go through a lot of hassle to get a work permit there in order for them to teach there.Thanks

A teacher's license, degree in a subject and a degree in education opens a lot of doors. If you have international school experience makes it a lot easier to continue. Sometimes finding a school that is slightly desperate and needs someone now is the best way to get your foot in the door.

Search Associates is a pretty good recruiter for China. You also want to go to International school job fair in JAn-Feb. I am not sure of the dates in Thailand but will be happening some time soon.

If the person cannot speak clearly, or has no deep knowledge in the subject, don't even bother. Nationality isn't as much of an issue as ability.

• 4 months later...

An update on this: my online friend still isn't working. She doesn't seem to have great access to the internet or the drive to network or pound the pavement so it may never work out.

My son is now going to one of the better Thai government schools here, and they do use foreign teachers, so I'll ask there.

I'm not sure about my online friend's English skills; we've only talked a bit online. That does seem to be the crux, as Zeichen mentioned.

She worked as a primary school teacher for years prior so that experience should be solid but no school will have her teach in English if her English isn't much better than the average Thai's.

• Like 1

An update on this: my online friend still isn't working. She doesn't seem to have great access to the internet or the drive to network or pound the pavement so it may never work out.

My son is now going to one of the better Thai government schools here, and they do use foreign teachers, so I'll ask there.

I'm not sure about my online friend's English skills; we've only talked a bit online. That does seem to be the crux, as Zeichen mentioned.

She worked as a primary school teacher for years prior so that experience should be solid but no school will have her teach in English if her English isn't much better than the average Thai's.

Wise words.....

I'm just wondering why your online friend is never online and takes part of any small talk on TVF here.

• 1 month later...

I'm not on TV myself much either, but then I'm not really looking for work or trying to network. It would be a good step.

I'm just wondering why she isn't using this forum, or www.ajarn.com, etc....

You don't even know how good her English is, but you're seeking a teaching position for her?

Maybe I've missed something between the lines. There're so many teaching positions available and even if her English isn't outstanding, she could teach kindergarten, or lower levels.

Good luck.-wai.gif

True, she may find a job now (at 50% the normal pay) because schools are desperate, but they will likely replace her with a NES as soon as they can. Thailand is all about appearance and they like their English teachers, tall, young and white. Ability does not really matter here.

She may have all the qualifications and even be good at teaching, but it will be a miracle if she finds a good well paid job at any international school. Even if she was born and educated in a native english speaking country. I may be wrong, but that is my gut feeling.