Our happy retirement in a Thai sex haven

Lite Beer

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A silly Headline but a good article.

OK we ALL know the BAD side of Pattaya.

I have a friend there. He is always carping and moaning. No we cannot sit outside - are you mad? These bloody Thai drivers - they shouldn't be allowed to drive! All these motorcycles - they're like bloody cockroaches.

My Bangkok post hasn't come for two days. My internet service provider is so bloody awful.

And I asked, "Then Geoff why don't you just bugger off back to the UK!"

Are you mad? It's way too expensive, bloody wet and cold, the drivers are rude, public civil servants are indifferent.....etc etc.

So having never heard it from him and pretty fed up with his bellyaching I asked "So what IS good about living in Pattaya?"

The "good list" just goes on and on.

Graham and Felicity, I know them very well. Helluva nice couple and real "Can Do" folks.

They're right - you don't need the Walking Street thing in your life - leave the idiots and perverts to it, they help to pay the taxes, fund the crime families' expenses and keep the Russian mafia identified.

Pattaya's got really First Class/ World Class Restaurants, great Shopping !!! If you know where to go there are some nice beaches. If you have visitors there's lots for them to do. Though the ladyboys are a pest and the motorcycle "lifters" are a growing menace, it is still massively safer than any town in the UK or indeed Europe.

Within the next two years property prices will fall like stones so plenty of opportunity for buyers.

Pattaya is great.

• Like 2

It doesn't seem that either of these couples has any involvement or interest in Pattaya's sex trade. Yet the headline does its best to attract readers by implying that their happy retirements in Thailand are somehow dependent on the sex trade. Gutter journalism form The Telegraph.

Best of luck to them.

However the article is utter tosh and missed out several points that should have been addressed had the reporter been better informed.

"Our house is paid for

Would sure love to see a copy of the chanote in your name.

Hence the gullible readers back in jolly old blighty who have no idea of Thai property laws will be missinformed at best.

Moved here 10 years ago, ah back to the good old days when the Pommie Peso was 70 baht plus.

No mention of falling exchange rates or inflation in Thailand in the last 10 years.

No mention that the UK pension is frozen when moving here.

No mention of health insurance costs, etc etc etc.

Best of luck to those concerned, but overall a shoddy piece of journalism.

But maybe these couples are of the savvy minority that can afford to walk away from their Thai 'investments'. The ones that can afford to eat out most nights, happy to fork out 1500 baht for decent bottle of plonk and not seek out fee-free ATM's. and chase balloons.

I know, unlikely but only if you use the yardstick of the generic TV forum member.

Been living 3 years in Bangkok and then I had enough, traffic and air pollution was really bad.

Been living 3 years on Phuket, locals are generally rude and everything is more expensive than the rest of the Kingdom and it rains a lot too, but it's real beautiful there.

Been living + 5 years in Pattaya, not perfect either but we like it here and will most likely stay for the long haul.

Been to ChangMai over 5 times and love the place but since we got a kid in school we can't move away when they start to burn the fields in the whole region and air pollution can be very bad.

Been all over Thailand and I want to live in a place with many western shopping/eating options, I am not Thai and never will be so living in the sticks is not an option for me.

When I was in Bangkok in the 1970s my then wife & I went to Ayuthaya by bus, then returned by train.

On the return trip we saw mothers holding up their children to see these farangs. Not now, I suspect.

Also, I guess I can understand the English thinking the beach at Pataya is good, it's all comparitive. At least it does have some sand, if not breaking waves.

Often take the wife and kids down to Jomtien for long weekends on the beach but would steer clear of Pattaya beach as it is just full of homeless looking people pedaling sex, drunk, werido's etc. No one in their right mind can say that is stereo typing, it is fact. Pattaya centre and beach road is sleeze, sex and dirty etc. Other than that for sure there are nice aspects/parts to it.