Advice needed on buying a new iPad

Squigy

Guys,

I am not at all Apple savey, however I have been thinking of buying a new iPad and need some local advice on this.

I am based in Isaan (a remote village which I believe has 3G.??)

Once I buy the device what else do I need ... Internet connections, which company (DTAC/True etc) and what sort of package do I need. I spend about 4 hours a day on the net and usually do via a dongle with AIS)

Will an iPad give me what I have know on a Win 7 laptop? (MS office,access to Internet,email etc)

My kids also require access to games etc. Do I have to buy those through iTunes or can I get them from other suppliers free?

Would appreciate your input.

Cheers

No office. You can get Office Live, and there are plenty of apps for you that can take place of Office. Everything else is available. Plenty of games for sure! You might want to go to a place with wifi to download your apps, otherwise you will use up your data.

Get a 3G model, and I believe True and DTAC have data plans.

I am based in Isaan (a remote village which I believe has 3G.??)

Once I buy the device what else do I need ... Internet connections, which company (DTAC/True etc) and what sort of package do I need. I spend about 4 hours a day on the net and usually do via a dongle with AIS)

if you happy with the speed of the AIS ... just get a second Sim Card to put in the iPad.

make sure you have unlimited Internet ..

Will an iPad give me what I have know on a Win 7 laptop? (MS office,access to Internet,email etc)

no !

its Apple, Apples "think Different" (you probably hear this slogan already, and its very true.)

its a different world, if you expect things to crash like on Microsoft or behave like on your computer, then a iPad is simply the wrong thing and it wont make you happy.

also a iPad is a touch based device, so the general experience with office related applications is very different.

you WILL face 2 "issues"

1. its a Apple, and apple devices do think different indeed.

2. its made to work without keyboard (even if you get a keyboard and connect it (wich is not a big deal) it will be different and maybe count negative to your Microsoft, keyboard , mouse experience)

My kids also require access to games etc. Do I have to buy those through iTunes or can I get them from other suppliers free?

Yes, iTunes has tons of free offers, however it requires a free shop-account (Apple ID)

you can install from other sources, but i would not advice this, specially if you new to the apple-world,

because this is one of the reasons why Apples never crash ! all software is verified and delivered via the same technology.

(humans have actually seen the code before its released to the world)

I was thinking of buying one for my 12 year old's birthday. If I buy the wi-fi only version is there a way for her to access True wifi while out and about? i.e. is there a true wifi only package?

I think you'll need some sort of account already with TRUE to access the TRUE WIFI hotspots, maybe link the ipad to your TRUE account and that should work, if your going for a wifi only ipad.

Wait for new iPad no matter what. They will reduce price of older ipad by 3000 baht just after announcement on 22 october. If you can wait, buy new iPad 5 which will come with stronger cpu.

However, iPad is not a computer replacement. It is great for web consumption (reading) and playing games but writing longer texts or emails are not comfortable on touch screen. Of course you can always add a bluetooth keyboard to the mix but it still designed for consumption.

They'll release cheap 8" windows 8.1 tablets with new baytrail atom cpu for 300-350 usd with docking keyboard. They'll come with office for home/student bundled and can do everything an entry level laptop can.

As an iPad user, even I plan to buy one of these.

If you want 3G then you need a 3G version which has wifi as standard also get whatever 3g is best in the area you live,

Once you have the iPad you sign up for a appleid to download games from the AppStore this is the only place you can download from you cannot download from anywhere else as there is nowhere else, plenty of free games but be careful on the ones who then charge in app which basically gives you more features

Office will be coming to the iPad soon but don't expect it to be anything like the desktop version, there are plenty of app that will open office docs natively.

If you will be using alot then get a 32 FB version so all in all you want a 3G 32tb version and expect to pay aroun 20k for that they come in black or white

I am much like you, not so ipad savvy. I have been in the market for a new something, I normally use a windows based laptop. I finally sat down and was really trying to do some research last night on my wife's ipad. I HATED IT. It is like a whole new world. Copying and pasting, and pretty much anything you do is a total mystery you need to figure out. And, there are a lot of websites that don't work, or appear much different on the ipad. I am sure people will tell me to get used to it, but I don't care, I could not stand it. I told my wife if I had to use it for any length of time I would throw it against a wall in no time. I myself will end up with a small laptop for my next purchase.

An iPad is a tablet, not a destop computer, it makes no sense to even compare the two.

"Copying and pasting, and pretty much anything you do is a total mystery you need to figure out."

sounds like

"damn, the steering of this thing works completely different than my Ford pickup, it's a mystery to me how they keep these damn 747's in the air"

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

If you have a phone that supports it, you can set up a wi-fi service on the phone and link the iPad to that; saves the extra expense of another sim card and a more expensive iPad.

Apple are now offering their iWork suite for free with new products. This includes the equivalent of Word, Excel and Powerpoint; without the bloat and optimised for use on a touchscreen. You can export in Windows format if you have to.

The new iPads were introduced by Apple a couple of days ago, will probably be in Thailand in a month or so. Worth waiting for if you want new and are not in a rush.

I have had an iPad since they were first released and could not live without it as a content consumer. Cut and paste, for example, is like everything else, optimised for touch, and easy to use once you know what to do.

I've used and ipad since day1, and I used a laptop for many years, for ME the ipad wins, as I very rarely use it for work.

it purely down to personal choice, I use it mostly for video calls to my family, its super easy to use, the best for me is not having to call someone to tell them to go and log in on skype or yahoo or any other video calling program? the ipad will be ready to accept calls at any time,(as long as it’s in range of wifi or 3g )

my needs are different from my wife and mother, but we all enjoy using ipad

I would tell anyone to buy one as it’s a great device and fun, it you need something for work, then you’ll already have a laptop or desktop.

so just update you Laptop or desktop

• Like 1