Old car ban in Bangkok was just an idea: deputy city police chief

webfact

TRAFFIC
Old car ban in Bangkok was just an idea : deputy city police chief

Mayuree Sukyingcharoenwong
The Nation

30216640-01_big.JPG

BANGKOK: -- The incident that spurred calls to take as many old vehicles as possible off Bangkok's roads took place just a few days ago.

"The other day, two old vehicles broke down on the Rama II Road causing a long tailback," Metropolitan Police Bureau (MPB) deputy commissioner Maj-General Adul Narongsak said yesterday.

He said the malfunctioning vehicles were more than 10 years old.

"It's hard to ease traffic congestion in that situation. Tow trucks found it difficult to reach the cars that broke down on the heavily congested road," Adul said.

The MPB has suggested tax measures be used to discourage Bangkok motorists from using vehicles more than a decade old.

This idea got mixed reactions, including angry outbursts, after it became news.

Willing to consider public opinion

Adul insisted yesterday that the proposal intended to improve traffic flow in the capital, which is infamous for its congested roads.

He explained that it was just an idea, not yet a proposal.

"We will have to hold seminars and discuss the issue with relevant government agencies and the private sector before developing this idea into a proposal for the government to consider," he said.

Adul said there are about 7 million cars and motorcycles in Bangkok, or 30 to 40 per cent are more than 10 years old.

However, he said the police bureau would start being very strict about vehicles parking in unauthorised zones on Bangkok's 10 main roads very soon.

"From October 10, we will issue warnings. From October 20, we will strictly have vehicles that have broken rules towed to police stations and their owners will have to pay both a fine and the towing fee."

The 10 roads are: Lat Phrao, Rama IV, Sukhumvit, Ratchadaphisek, Phaholyothin, North - South Sathon, New Phetchaburi, Ramkhamhaeng, Rajdamnoen Klang, and a portion of Vibhavadi-Rangsit Road.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2013-10-09

They should do more than that.

Ban all old cars, ban all the "first-car buyer subsidy programs", and make driving (and owning a car) expensive as hell, just like it is in Singapore.

Trafic chaos solved.

Edited by ricku
  • Like 2

Ban all old cars, ban all the "first-car buyer subsidy programs", and make driving (and owning a car) expensive as hell, just like it is in Singapore.

Trafic chaos solved.

If you like Singapore better there are daily flights leaving every day.

• Like 2

"This idea got mixed reactions, including angry outbursts, after it became news."

Of course. The owners of these vehicles don't want to pay to keep their vehicles in safe running order. This being Thailand, it is a lot cheaper to pay a cop 200 baht once in a while than to keep ones vehicle in safe running condition. So the police are also angry since they lose a source of income.

I renew my registration for my motor bike every year. At that time they test my bike for emissions and to see if it is working properly. I then receive a new registration tag. This one is 2557. I have to pay a fee for this inspection and registration. However, the way to bypass this fee and the cost of repairing any vehicle which is not running safely is to ignore the registration process. I see motor bikes with tags from 2549 spewing smoke from their tailpipes and blackening the air. There a many autos and trucks doing the same.

The solution is not to ban motor vehicles based on their age, but on how safely they are operating. However, many people are just too stupid to realize that their cheapness and greed are causing health problems and major inconvenience for the general population.

• Like 2

I believe they use this policy of banning 10 year old cars in Japan. Great idea, if you have a robust economy like Japan. The problem is Thailand is still a struggling third world economy. The aspiring Thai entrepreneurs struggling with transportation costs and gas expenses try their best to make a living for their families. Thailand has many more serious problems to deal with right now.

"From October 10, we will issue warnings. From October 20, we will strictly have vehicles that have broken rules towed to police stations and their owners will have to pay both a fine and the towing fee."

Now that is a good idea. Unpopular I know but if it lasts more than a few days it could actually improve traffic the congestion problems

• Like 1

Trafic chaos solved.

I do go there quite often yes, but the traffic is not too bad here in Chiang Mai. I was more referring to the ridiculous traffic circus in Bangkok.

But if you like spending a big part of your life being stuck in traffic jams, then perhaps it's time to visit the brain doctor? wai2.gif

Edited by ricku
  • Like 1

A ban on how Thais park which always blocks the roads would be a better idea.

And when the vehicles DO break down or have an accident, take some pictures and MOVE THEM TO THE SIDE OF THE ROAD instead of waiting for an hour with it blocking the road for insurance to come take pics.

No, an even better idea is the obvious: investing in improving the system and infrastructure of public transportation instead of encouraging clueless Bangkok only Bangkok sheep to buy more cars.

For example, The BTS service is slowly deteriorating as well, as the train rumbles at almost every stop.

Best way to deal with the problem of old cars is use a system similar to that in the Uk. First toughen up the test to get the road tax. Second any untaxed vehicle gets seized and if not reclaimed in 14 days it gets crushed( A suitable fee for storage and removal payed ) If recovered the said vehicle would have to be brought up to standard taxed ect before being presented at a chosen police station. The owner of any vehicle that is found to be on the road in after failing to report after seizure should face a heavy fine and automatic crushing of the vehicle. I reckon the owner not the driver should be penalized as most of the old beaters seem to be water and ice delivery trucks whom the drivers of would be out on their ear if they refused to drive . And please please make it a stiff fine not the usual 2000 baht half the trouble here is caused by rediculously low fines( that is for anyone that can afford a car in the first place)

And when the vehicles DO break down or have an accident, take some pictures and MOVE THEM TO THE SIDE OF THE ROAD instead of waiting for an hour with it blocking the road for insurance to come take pics.

Having had this happen last Sunday night with an 80 year old Thai feller that would not admit being at fault (despite driving like a senile old fool), one needs the police to be near enough, with a can of spray paint in hand (our cop had to borrow a can), to record their position or you can't move your car. Again this is a problem that Thais just cannot admit when they make a mistake and take the blame for an accident. You have to get each insurance company to come, take photos, draw diagrams, collect testimonies and if the 2 parties cannot agree, it goes to the police station for them to decide. Again, Thais are just too immature, and yes I am tarring the whole lot with the same brush cos it is a fact. In the history of Thailand, and I know this must be the most remarkable instance of this happening anywhere in world history, no Thai has ever made a mistake in thousands of years.

Best way to deal with the problem of old cars is use a system similar to that in the Uk. First toughen up the test to get the road tax. Second any untaxed vehicle gets seized and if not reclaimed in 14 days it gets crushed( A suitable fee for storage and removal payed ) If recovered the said vehicle would have to be brought up to standard taxed ect before being presented at a chosen police station. The owner of any vehicle that is found to be on the road in after failing to report after seizure should face a heavy fine and automatic crushing of the vehicle. I reckon the owner not the driver should be penalized as most of the old beaters seem to be water and ice delivery trucks whom the drivers of would be out on their ear if they refused to drive . And please please make it a stiff fine not the usual 2000 baht half the trouble here is caused by rediculously low fines( that is for anyone that can afford a car in the first place)

First; I'm not saying that I agree with your proposed solution.

Second; You have forgotten one thing that would be necessary for any of your proposals to work. A police force that actually considers public safety and enforcement of laws to be their prime responsibility.

Do you think any police sergeant here is going to seize a vehicle that might belong to a person who may have influence/connections with that police sergeant's superiors? Also, all the steps that you propose would, most likely, end up as simply additional opportunities for the police to collect "additional income".

Trafic chaos solved.

If you get upset by people highlighting how Thailand could improve by comparing to more successful countries there are other forums you could frequent.

• Like 1

Surprised, that nobody is realistic on the subject:

- all cars to be paid 100% before leaving the showroom
- all driving licenses according to EU-standards
- all cars to be inspected every three years, after the 9th year:
- yearly inspections
- cars considered vintage (20+) issued special plates with a limit of say 2'500 kms a year
- ban political parties of throwing in a THB 100'000 hidden token of appreciation for first-car-buyers for their vote
- enforce existing traffic laws with harsh fines
- wrongly parked cars towed immediately, released against THB 10'000 plus expenses

Trust me, it works wonders and is keeping countries like Switzerland in fantastic shape (except that they can be financed if the buyer has the necessary proof of means to pay back the instalments with reasonable interest rates)!

• Like 1

Again....

Just get the police to do their job...

Spewing out exhaust fumes should give the Police an indication that something is wrong.

Bent vehicles is an indication to Police that something is wrong

Vehicles driving the wrong way, no turn signals, doubling up on a single lane should be an indication to Police that something is wrong.

Large Vehicles (busses, trucks etc) be banned from certain areas.... (I dont know if thats a law in Thailand)

All Thailand needs to do is ask the Police to do their job.... Issue out fines and impound vehicles that are un-roadworthy, owners not paying their fines etc and it will certainly go a long way to get rid of traffic problems smile.png

Oh... and get someone to monitor traffic and compute the stats to get Traffic lights to optimize traffic flow tongue.png

Edited by thhMan
  • Like 1

Trafic chaos solved.

6.46 am - They should do more than that.

Trafic chaos solved.

6.50 am - If you like Singapore better there are daily flights leaving every day.

4 minutes!

They're out early today!

They shouldn't ban old cars, they should ban dangerous cars. No one would argue with that.

Too sensible... rolleyes.gif

I really wonder what this annual"MOT" type inspection is like here in Thailand, which is compulsory for cars that are 7+ years old.

They shouldn't ban old cars, they should ban dangerous cars. No one would argue with that.

Too sensible... rolleyes.gif

I really wonder what this annual"MOT" type inspection is like here in Thailand, which is compulsory for cars that are 7+ years old.

@ Morakot They check the brakes, drive train, emissions, lights, signals, wipers, etc...... which would eliminate a large percentage of vehicles over 7 yrs. old currently on the road if they ever went and got their vehicles inspected.