Import duties when buying a camera/tablet/ pc from China on ebay

geoffphuket

Do customs charge additional import duty, or because of trade agreements, do they get through without? (small package, standard air-freight, not courier)

Ayone with personal experience? I've read through many (old) threads, but not found a conclusive answer.

looking to buy a camera 10-20,000 baht, and a tablet for around 8,000, but additional taxes would make it cheaper to buy here :-(

I've purchased quite a few items, never had to pay tax and used standard delivery which is via singapore post. Declared value on all items was the same, $49.95.

....but the actual value was more? I can understand a jiffy bag getting through, but would a small box with a value of several thousand baht?

free trade agreements are not intend to help the normal people...they are for rich only.

Need certificate, need registered company....

But if the package is undervalued and per normal post there is a good chance it slips thru....

• Like 1

free trade agreements are not intend to help the normal people...they are for rich only.

But if the package is undervalued and per normal post there is a good chance it slips thru....

Yes, that's what I'm thinking. Trouble is, most sellers (in their terms and conditions) state they won't undervalue packages

Yes, that's what I'm thinking. Trouble is, most sellers (in their terms and conditions) state they won't undervalue packages

Customs can be easy or can be a major headache. For a small difference in price I wouldn't import it.

Customs can be easy or can be a major headache. For a small difference in price I wouldn't import it.

That's my dilemma. The saving would be a couple of thousand baht on each item, but that - or more might/might-not be added.

Would be good to hear from someone who's done it.

That's my dilemma. The saving would be a couple of thousand baht on each item, but that - or more might/might-not be added.

Would be good to hear from someone who's done it.

Well think, you received something and it does not work and you must send it back......

It is kind of gambling....If you save a lot, they product is not likely to be faulty it might worth it.

If the save is small, or the thing is so expensive than you can't burden to loose the money, better buy it a bit more expensive.

I had tons of imports, from Europe and China, both private and for the company. Small packages per regular post (not ems) often come without import duty. Others require us to go to the customs office to pick it up.....1 hour driving the car, 2 hours waiting, 1 hour driving back.....

Duty for most small things is more or less random....

Have had several phones delivered. Once had to pay 700baht. There's not supposed to be any duty on items manufactured in China, or on mobiles (regardless of where they were manufactured), but still got charged because BKK marked it as 'electronics' as opposed to 'mobile'. Since then, I've used DHL on two other separate mobile shipments (just a mobile at a time, not multiple pieces) and have never been charged duty. Only 7% vat.

Edited by happysanook

I have bought many things on Ebay like 100plus over the last six months

items under 1000batt are exempt

sellars from china and hongkong always seem to put lower values

I bought a cctv system from HK shipped normal airmail sailed through no problem

ship via fed ex, DHL or any courier and almost guarenteed 30%duty andd then vat, this is paidd on the cost plus shipping

I bought a nice small pair of binoculars from HK shipped normal airmail no problem

A couple of small items never arrived and sellars gave refund

ebay also guarentees obligations of sellars

ebay a wonderful way to find many small items, click the free shipping in the search and no shipping costs to pay

I have bought many things on Ebay like 100plus over the last six months

items under 1000batt are exempt

sellars from china and hongkong always seem to put lower values

I bought a cctv system from HK shipped normal airmail sailed through no problem

ship via fed ex, DHL or any courier and almost guarenteed 30%duty andd then vat, this is paidd on the cost plus shipping

I bought a nice small pair of binoculars from HK shipped normal airmail no problem

A couple of small items never arrived and sellars gave refund

ebay also guarentees obligations of sellars

ebay a wonderful way to find many small items, click the free shipping in the search and no shipping costs to pay

right.....

Just to clarify what you wrote

Costs on import:

Product price is calculated on a higher exchange rate (it appears more expensive).

Customs duty is calculated from the product price and the shipping costs (yes you pay import duty on the shipping costs).

VAT is calculated from the product price+shipping+duty (yes you pay VAT from the duty).

There might an additional small fee for the clearing.

Amazon can ship and they charge you the customs duty in advance at checkout. It is expensive but you don't pay more, no matter what happens. The UPS guy comes and brings the product...no questions asked.

And if it happens that there was less duty than you paid, they refund it after 3 month.

I bought a bread backing machine at amazon.de and after 3 month I got an email that they duty was refunded as customs didn't charge them.

Do not be silly, no guarantees so many Chinese selling stuff and more thank likely a refurbished one and no answer from them when it packs up, done it before when living in New Zealand.

Try a site in New Zealand it is very good and trusting

www.trademe.co.nz

Thai customs will charge you duty at their value not your invoice. I would not bother if I was you, buy one from a duty free when you go to another country.

When you buy items from serious exporters like AliExpress or Pandawill they don´t release the money to the seller before you checked your package and

emailed back everythings OK.

Most of the chinese traders write down the price of the package to avoid customs tax.

I ordered a lot of things and I never had a problem with either customs or tax.

You can choose to have your stuff delivered by China or Hongkong post that normally is pretty fast, except during big holidays, xmas etc.

When you want to have a fast delvery choose some of the big delivery companies.

Many times the stuff is the same as you buy from resellers in Thailand but you can get away with a 50% cut or more of the price.

I just bought 10 pieces of jewellery digital scales for less than the price they charge you for 2 in BKK. Same brand and design.

I am not connected to any of these chinese companies, this is just my personal experience.

With the camera... If it is up to $600 then chances are it is a Nikon or similar upper mainstream grade brand. Then be very careful. Remember that China is the world's top producer of counterfeits and that is anything from shampoo to Armani to Rolex to Nikon.

Is it worth the risk for a couple of thousand baht that you may even get stung for by customs if you are the unlucky one?

If it is a refurb, it won't be from China, I used to sell refurb cameras on Ebay, they come directly from the manufacturer's refurb shop and are warranty returns.. Or they go to an officially appointed outsourced refurb production agent who sells them in bulk to certain companys.

How would a Chinese trader buy legit cameras and then resell them to the west cheaper than the licensed and authorized dealers? The high end camera manufacturers strictly regulate the licensing and you can not sell them to another country where a license is present. You would lose your license for stealing the market from other authorized license holders. Add to this that the global price is pretty much controlled and there is usually little or no margin for profit by passing it over the borders.

Remember... Buyer beware.

Do not be silly, no guarantees so many Chinese selling stuff and more thank likely a refurbished one and no answer from them when it packs up, done it before when living in New Zealand.

Try a site in New Zealand it is very good and trusting

www.trademe.co.nz

Thai customs will charge you duty at their value not your invoice. I would not bother if I was you, buy one from a duty free when you go to another country.

yes all Chinese are criminal all New Zealand guys are saints....

I have ordered items 3-4 times to Canada. The companies always undervalued the items without me asking.

Never had to pay taxes or duties.

My understanding is that if the declared value is 20,000 baht or greater then Thai customs want their cut.

no it much less, if FedEx at 5K we surely pay....and over some amount (can't recall it 20 or 40K) there is no express clearing anymore and it get more expensive and difficult.

Here is my experience:

Had a power outage which blow my router. The router (Netgear WNDR4720)is not available in Thailand but in Singapore and I bought it online there.

The router was in Thailand the very next day of the purchase and now the mess started. Thai customs wanted to have my Thai tax-ID and instructed me to go to Immigration to get a residence certificate and TT5 form, which I got no problems. After which I was instructed to go to the Thai Revenue Department to have a Thai tax-ID issued. Well, I am here in Thailand on retirement visa and cannot work hence cannot pay tax here therefore a Thai tax-ID cannot be issued.

When going back to the Thai Customs with this news they said that they would not release the router before I have a Thai tax-ID.

How did I solve this, you wonder? Well, I had to pay FedEx handling and other fees (THB2'000), the router was sent back to Singapore. I hopped on a Air Asia flight to Singapore, the vendor came to the airport to deliver the returned router and got back on the returning flight. When through Immigration and Customs with no problem at all and no expenditure. Cost for that trip THB1'088 all including.

My advice if you are here on a retirement visa, fly where the vendor is and hand carry it back!

Here is my experience:

Had a power outage which blow my router. The router (Netgear WNDR4720)is not available in Thailand but in Singapore and I bought it online there.

The router was in Thailand the very next day of the purchase and now the mess started. Thai customs wanted to have my Thai tax-ID and instructed me to go to Immigration to get a residence certificate and TT5 form, which I got no problems. After which I was instructed to go to the Thai Revenue Department to have a Thai tax-ID issued. Well, I am here in Thailand on retirement visa and cannot work hence cannot pay tax here therefore a Thai tax-ID cannot be issued.

When going back to the Thai Customs with this news they said that they would not release the router before I have a Thai tax-ID.

How did I solve this, you wonder? Well, I had to pay FedEx handling and other fees (THB2'000), the router was sent back to Singapore. I hopped on a Air Asia flight to Singapore, the vendor came to the airport to deliver the returned router and got back on the returning flight. When through Immigration and Customs with no problem at all and no expenditure. Cost for that trip THB1'088 all including.

My advice if you are here on a retirement visa, fly where the vendor is and hand carry it back!

you could have told FedEx, UPS or whoever brought it, to do the clearing for you. Or hire an independent agent.

Than you don't need the things yourself. But it will also cost.....