Tourists injured after tour bus hits steel beam

Lite Beer

Tourists injured after tour bus hits steel beam

PNSOC561009001000601.jpg

BANGKOK, 9 October 2013 (NNT) - At 22.00 pm on October 8, Police Lieutenant Jakrapob Chimpheongpanao, Makkasan Police Station’s investigation officer, received an emergency call that a tour bus had hit a height-limit steel beam before crossing over the Asoke intersection bridge on Phetchaburi Road, near Don Bosco School.

The accident involved a double-decker tour bus belonging to Phongprasert Tour Company with the license plate 31-3593 from Bangkok. The vehicle was found wrecked with its top ripped open after hitting the steel beam.

A total of 12 people were injured: 11 European tourists and 1 tour guide - all of whom had been sitting on the top deck. The chauffeur, however, received no injuries as he was sitting on the bottom floor.

Police officials have already cleared the area, and will later call in the driver in for more questioning. Judging from the force of the collision, it is believed that the driver was not aware of the steel beam.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2013-10-09 footer_n.gif

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The chauffeur, however, received no injuries as he was sitting on the bottom floor.shock1.gif---<deleted> ????

I assume they mean the "Driver" --and where else would he be rolleyes.gif

Can you imagine the carnage if he had been sat on the top deck !

Fair play to him, there was nearly enough room to squeeze the bus under....

• Like 2

Judging from the force of the collision, it is believed that the driver was not aware of the steel beam.

Duh...ya think so ?......cant get much past Thailand's finest's highly tuned powers of deduction can you....they should all go and work for Scotland Yard who needs Sherlock Holmes when you have Lieutenant Somchai on the job...

• Like 2

Judging from the force of the collision, it is believed that the driver was not aware of the steel beam.

Duh...ya think so ?......cant get much past Thailand's finest's highly tuned powers of deduction can you....they should all go and work for Scotland Yard who needs Sherlock Holmes when you have Lieutenant Somchai on the job...

One thing that is puzzling me is what in God's good name was that steel beams' purpose ? It looks as if someone has just made a steel girder gate for no apparent reason.

Somebody please enlighten me.

Usually you have something like this just before a low bridge to prevent the bridge getting hit.

• Like 1

I drove by this last night around 10:30 PM. I am amazed to hear no one was killed, it was a horrific looking sight and both my girlfriend and I thought everyone in the upper deck had to have died. Definite negligence of the driver, the beam was quite clear with bright white and red paint marking it.

• Like 1

Judging by the photo it's only a single deck coach anyway.

I realise the the driver sits lower down but to call it a double decker is misleading.

Glad there were no fatalities at least.

It was a double decker coach without any doubt. I was there.

• Like 1

One thing that is puzzling me is what in God's good name was that steel beams' purpose ? It looks as if someone has just made a steel girder gate for no apparent reason.

Can think of several reasons. 1° Avoiding heavy vehicles going on the bridge, beyond its structural resistance limits; 2° Avoiding high vehicles at a higher risk of toppling on the road under the bridge.

• Like 2

It probably was left over from a building project and this was the most convenient place to leave it. That is convenient for the lazy workers who didn't want to haul it back to the warehouse. Not convenient for the passengers in the vehicle. If you try and use logic to make sense out of what goes on here, you'll wind up in the loony bin crazy.gif.pagespeed.ce.dzDUUqYcHZ.gifcrazy.gif.pagespeed.ce.dzDUUqYcHZ.gifcrazy.gif.pagespeed.ce.dzDUUqYcHZ.gif

Judging by the photo it's only a single deck coach anyway.

I realise the the driver sits lower down but to call it a double decker is misleading.

Glad there were no fatalities at least.

The accident involved a double-decker tour bus belonging to Phongprasert Tour Company with the license plate 31-3593 from Bangkok. The vehicle was found wrecked with its top ripped open after hitting the steel beam.

May I suggest that you read the post again. Okay not all TVF members are native English Readers. Wish them all a speedy an FULLY recovery-wai.gif