Accident out side Samui Palm Beach Resort - Bohput

I think that you also have to take into account the hundreds of migrant workers riding around. I was told in the past that they weren't, allowed to ride bikes. No wonder you see so many wearing full face helmets.

That's not true... at least with the Burmese workers, (tour guides) I know.... one I know has just brought a new bike and has applied for his drivers license. (not heard if he got it, yet) ...

These are legit workers with proper work permits.... I know there are many around who don't have WP's might be a different story for them?

All those I know have motor bikes, with no problem with police... they wear their helmets too thumbsup.gif.pagespeed.ce.dtxKiAJ9C7.gif

Well that is not what I was told whenI had my workers , legal with permits. Could not have mobiles,not out of compound house after 8 pm & most definite not ride a bike. He got fined 1,000 baht & threatened with deportation if it occurred again.

sounds like slave labour xohmy.png.pagespeed.ic.shABmucp9T.png

its the way it is. i used to feel sorry for these poor people but i have seen them in action when the law is not around to protect the thais

they can be very nasty if the rains are taken off. my friend was stabbed by a gang of them and i was threatened by them because they were protected by a Thai in a shopping center,

@Rob:

1. Much of the island is covered by CCTV; footage of which is available from the ampur for less than THB 50 (the cost of burning the disc).

2. Dashcams are considerably cheaper to residents than the cost of a new car, bike or med bill (etc) to anyone who 'tries it on'.

Thanks for the info about the CCTV disk - good to know.

But I'm puzzled about what you mean by 'trying it on'? - the 'new car'/padded-out med bill I reckon? Good point . . .

I was just pointing out that there are some really odd laws here that to me are utter nonsense. Fair dos with the helmet thing. But the 2 examples I gave - plus nobody seems bothered about licences or 10 year-olds on motorbikes. This isn't a coconut island of farmers anymore where nobody could read or write and none of the vehicles needed to be taxed or insured and it was easy to just get on a motorbike and drive on the wrong side of the road all around the village - the out-of-proportion accident stats prove this.

Something as simple as a couple of hand-held speed guns constantly in daily use around the island for a start? Helmets?

Samui is big enough now and with enough trucks hammering around the ring road to warrant gov. cert. driving instructors and licenses for all - and a proper driving test with reversing and road positioning included. The police would be the first to have to pass . . . just to show they were serious (hysterical giggle . . .)

But where the heck would the police begin with this total chaos . . . ? We got flatscreens in most of the houses and everyone's got a mbike and a mobile phone. But the laws about driving are still back in the 1970s.

R

rather 1870 just the acceleration type of the vehicles has changed.it's now a motor and not the buffalo anymore and this is not Samui unique its Thai unique.

ps: not just the laws are outdated also the metality of driving.

Edited by PoorSucker
fixed quote

We seem to have deviated from the original topic...facepalm.giftongue.png ... We all have heard different "stories".... I am basing what I know from the few Burmese I know and actually trust ... thumbsup.gif

The Burmese as same with some of the Thai's are all treated differently... Some get respect from their employers and are paid on time for hours worked, sometimes, some of them don't always get paid at all...(usually construction workers) regardless of work performance.... some drink, some don't.....some are good, some bad, as with any race or culture!

Those who live in tin shack camps are usually the worst for being screwed by employers .... sad.png... These are the ones who usually don't leave the camps in the evening... Some are over charged for the living quarters and often (not always) poorly treated.... (as slaves... I have even heard Thai's use that term sad.pngbah.gif )

Those I know, (some for over 5 years) ... all have phones, even computers TV's etc ....How would they communicate,with employers with out a phone? and live in cement houses or the cement row houses... not luxurious.... but some actually make good money and are paid on time... Plus their tips.... A lot of money is sent back to Burma, via the "underground" to support family there. They work for reputable companies... which actually do exist here wink.png .... I have heard some say "we love our boss" ...

The general rule is they can only work on say Samui or KP or ? where they are registered with WP's. which cost them about 5900 baht per year ... for the legit ones... The tour guides, have "special permission" to do the day trips to Koa Toa or marine park etc.

Back to original topic! wink.pngwhistling.gif

• Like 2

Not deviating,but these migrant workers also make up for a good percentage of riders,without proper licences or proper road awareness.

^ Not just migrants! tongue.png

I checked with one of the Burmese I know, this no phone etc, is apparently against the law...crazy.gif.pagespeed.ce.dzDUUqYcHZ.gif but not enforced...thumbsup.gif (except perhaps at the convenience of BIB sad.png ) ...I have never heard any of them I know, being harassed about it ...

At resorts I can remember the non legit, Burmese, having to "disappear" if police where around... then everything back to normal once the police went... There would not be many staff or cooks at many resorts, if they were rounded up... whistling.gif work that most Thai's won't do! wink.png

@Rob;

I'm puzzled about what you mean by 'trying it on'?

My "Trying it on" is perhaps best explained by an example I encountered some years ago that went something like this:

- A ferang driving home from work @ dark o'clock indicated to turn into his estate.

- A motorbike with no lights T- boned him as he turned.

- The rider was found to be so pi_ssed that he couldn't even lay on the floor without hanging on!

- A 3rd party who hadn't seen the accident appeared from nowhere & spent 2 hrs trying to intimidate the driver into parting with vast sums...('local family/top half of shergar' an' all that; a chancer!)

Common sense did eventually prevail but only because the driver had suitable backup from the company that he worked for at the time.

HTH

Got it - much the same as what I was thinking. Happened to me - nudged a kid off his bike and his family turned up mob handed demanding 10,000 B for a scraped knee. (Told them I would wait at the police station while he went to Nathon hospital and came back with a receipt. Waited for 3 hours and then went home . . .)

R

I had a similar situation many years ago a young boy , 13 or so , no helmet decided to turn right from the left hand lane without looking or indicating ..... i did my best to avoid him , he had no helmet , but luckily no serious injuries apart from a very scrapped bottom.... I paid , no choice, not a lot but if I had not been aware he could have died ....

Also I was locked up on one occasion , a long story , but basically a Thai driver crashed on an empty road with no on coming traffic , not hitting me ...I was doing a school run 7.30am and had to edge out into the road to see as there was a garbage truck .... He was driving way too fast could not stop and rather than driving straight ahead , as he could have done panicked and crashed into a concrete pole , again luckily no injuries .. but he had his pregnant girlfriend in the front seat with no seat belt ...I was sweating for a few hours !

I feel sorry for the tourists who wear helmets but are still very unaware of traffic ....

Every day I go out I see idiotic driving mostly from local Thais .... either vans or lorries who have to drive like they need to get to their destination yesterday .... driving up to ones bumper to try to force more speed and then overtaking at the worst moment ...

I am convinced Thai drivers do not focus ahead but look about 2 metres in front of their bonnet .... For instance ..Many times I see a driver turning right ahead so I draw to the left to undertake but the driver behind me rather than following , noticing what is happening ahead , will think that I am stopping or turning left , and try to overtake only then to realise what is happening and that he is boxed and either has to stop behind the car turning right or make a sudden left turn ...

Van drivers and jungle park tourist pick ups are the worst...

In allot of case when u have to pull out a little bit to see that even when the traffic slows eighth down the Thais would rather drive into you than stop and let just one car go from a small soi

This really baffles me the amount of time the Thais put themselves in danger rather than stopping for 1 second to let some pass

The junction near lotus is a classic example where the car is nearly full across the road

A car or a bike shall still try to squeeze past a small gap rather than let you pass when the traffic is clear on the other side

Amazing

Not deviating,but these migrant workers also make up for a good percentage of riders,without proper licences or proper road awareness.

Yes allot of accidents are caused my burmease a hello of allot

Also if there situations were so and then it still must be better than Burma as they would have just gone home

Have to rember there is allot of history with Thailand and Burma

They may seem nice but if they see an opportunity then most shall bite the hand that feeds them most thai people have experience with this and fully aware which is why these laws are in place to protect the Thais

I know it seen in human but I have a policy now with Thais and. Bermease that I shall not tip the builders becUse every tine I do

They want more top next tine and the work gets worse

Shane really but that I cannot treat then nice like humans but I made that mistake too many tines

@Rob;

I'm puzzled about what you mean by 'trying it on'?

My "Trying it on" is perhaps best explained by an example I encountered some years ago that went something like this:

- A ferang driving home from work @ dark o'clock indicated to turn into his estate.

- A motorbike with no lights T- boned him as he turned.

- The rider was found to be so pi_ssed that he couldn't even lay on the floor without hanging on!

- A 3rd party who hadn't seen the accident appeared from nowhere & spent 2 hrs trying to intimidate the driver into parting with vast sums...('local family/top half of shergar' an' all that; a chancer!)

Common sense did eventually prevail but only because the driver had suitable backup from the company that he worked for at the time.

HTH

I had exactly that experience a few years ago also but also the rider has no licence, no insurance and no ID. Local tried to get me to pay him. I called a friendly BIB and as soon as I did they all disappeared.

As a generalisation of the bad riders on Samui, I would say the Thai's are in control of their bike, but lack awareness of other road users and the farang are just not in control of their motorbike. Apart from the younger Thai men on their bikes, the farang tend to ride faster as well. Just my opinion.

Reckon that's about spot on.

But I'd also add that the farangs who are wobblers are thus probably newbies too? Therefore they are even more dangerous than the Thais - having little control and also no idea of what to expect on the roads here.

Farangs who have been here before (and no doubt got the scars to prove it) are more confident with bike control, plus they're also waiting for stuff to shoot out of side roads on the wrong side of the road.

The fast ones? Agree again - cocky little Thai boys on crotch rockets - plus many of the farang guys who live here! (Except for that sensible band who "command more with their years than with their weapons".)

R

Edited by robsamui
  • Like 2

Well - police checkpoint at the police box next to the RC church on the Chaweng ring road.

Stopping

no helmets

no tax/insurance (cars and bikes)

unsafe loads on trucks. (The truck in front of me - a piece of angle iron projecting at least 1.5 meters in front of and behind his truck. Nicked.)

Overloaded vehicles.

All being booked. BIBs - making Samui a safer place? thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

Well - police checkpoint at the police box next to the RC church on the Chaweng ring road.

Stopping

no helmets

unsafe loads on trucks. (The truck in front of me - a piece of angle iron projecting at least 1.5 meters in front of and behind his truck. Nicked.)

Overloaded vehicles.

Agreed TE went through myself, passed with flying colours! (Wife was driving) whistling.gif

Stopping

no helmets

Overloaded vehicles.

Nicked?? For today, yes.

Tomorrow, they will breeze past while the BIB are still counting today's booty.

As a generalisation of the bad riders on Samui, I would say the Thai's are in control of their bike, but lack awareness of other road users and the farang are just not in control of their motorbike. Apart from the younger Thai men on their bikes, the farang tend to ride faster as well. Just my opinion.

We have exactly the same opinion smile.png

Just done the Samui - Hua Hin - Korat and back yearly trip...the driving in Thailand is equally bad wherever you go, as mjj mentioned earlier the only difference here is the tourists who haven't got a clue where they're going and haven't got a clue how to ride a scooter/motorbike (or licence) sad.png

• Like 1

Only relevant as a comparison -

Arrived in Sri Lanka yesterday and drove down the west coast and along part of the south coast. (Including Saturday afternoon traffic in Colombo.)

Samui is positively a breeze compared to Sri Lanka. Horrific drivers. (Lovely people though).

The only good thing about the driving in SL is that the BIBs force the helmet law. Lots of them all over the place (even in the middle of no-where) and almost all MCists wear helmets. Boy do they need them.

I cannot wait to get back to Samui driving (how sad is that?) sad.png