Odometer

yourauntbob

So I am interested in getting an odometer for my bicycle but am worried about the rain ruining it. Do I have cause for worry? Is there a brand better than others? I am not really trying to spend much money (1-2k) but if the machine doesnt function properly whats the point in the first place?

At the mall today I saw the 4 functioned (with wire) CAT on sale for 900 baht, is there a way to protect this one from water damage?

So any and all (related) comments are most welcome and appreciated.

ive got a cateye with wires and i find if rain gets between the main body and the detachable part it stops working but when dried it starts working ok, ive put a piece of electic tape round the top to prevent rainwater getting in and it seems to work fine like that.

• Like 1

Most decent cyclocomputers are water resistant, if not waterproof. If you don't push the buttons when you're riding in the rain, the rain should have no effect and they should work fine on dry days.

For added protection you could put one of the ubiquitous thin plastic bags over the computer head and secure it with a rubber band. I still wouldn't push the buttons in the rain but you should still be able to see the one screen you had it set on.

Why not just use the gps on your smart phone? I use Oruxmaps on my Defy plus. Bought a handlebar mount, though it will still work in a backpack or even your pocket.

I guess a quality odometer is more precise than GPS measurements/calculations, especially in hilly terrain. Personally, I am also using a GPS, but only because I don't care much about measuring distances and speeds precisely.

Cheers, CM-Expat

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Why not just use the gps on your smart phone? I use Oruxmaps on my Defy plus. Bought a handlebar mount, though it will still work in a backpack or even your pocket.

because i dont have a smart enough phone. plus, i want accurate readings without signing my life away to google, facebook, or any other company in the business of selling off my info.

Sounds like the odo will work in the rain if you take precautions. A bit limiting for me though.

I use a Garmin GPS in the rain, 12 mths, monsoons and no problems.

iPhone [i know....whistling.gif ] in a ziplock bag works, but sucks battery life.

I use Strava. Ticked the Optout box= No promo junk.

• Like 1

i bought the cateye. got one the cheapy for 550 baht (discounted because i purchased a car rack and some other stuff). works great, and at that price i have no problem if it only lasts me a year or two.

thanks to all for the advise

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Just as a matter of interest, does anyone know just how accurate the odometers are and if there is one for a 29 inch rim because the set up is not adjustable enough especially if you take off your old odometer from say a bike with a 26 inch wheel and fix it on a bike with a 29 inch rim

On my Haro 29ER road bike with 29 inch rims the Catseye odometer seems to be under reading by about 1 Km in every 9.5Kms

Edited by n210mp

• 2 weeks later...

I use a Cateye wireless on my MTB. It is mounted on the handlebar stem, and is waterproof, as mentioned previously, and I've had no problems with it getting wet. I want to add that if you ride a MTB with large off-road tires, when you are setting wheel size, don't just select 26,27, 29, but measure the circumference of the tire and enter that in centimeters during setup. Your distance traveled will be much more accurate. This is not really necessary on a road bike with thin high pressure road tires though.

Sent from my iPad using ThaiVisa app

Maeklong

"This is not really necessary on a road bike with thin high pressure road tires though"

With respect Maeklong ,

Surely the width of the tyre is irrelevant in terms of the number of cycles recorded by the sensor?

Out of of interest and not being too pedantic, if accuracy is what you want from the odometer then surely the exact circumference of the tyre would lead to a more accurate measurement or am I missing the point ?

Maeklong

"This is not really necessary on a road bike with thin high pressure road tires though"

With respect Maeklong ,

Surely the width of the tyre is irrelevant in terms of the number of cycles recorded by the sensor?

Out of of interest and not being too pedantic, if accuracy is what you want from the odometer then surely the exact circumference of the tyre would lead to a more accurate measurement or am I missing the point ?

Your odometer should offer an option to calibrate based on on the distance covered by a single revolution of the wheel. It's not rocket science, but it's still worth getting right.

SC

from Street Cowboy

"Your odometer should offer an option to calibrate based on on the distance covered by a single revolution of the wheel. It's not rocket science, but it's still worth getting right. "

Thanks for your input Street Cowboy but I think you might have missed the point.

The settings that I am talking about do exactly that, they are already calibrated to whatever input you put into the system.

If I put in the measured (by tape measure) the circumference of the outer of the tyre then this will calibrate what the "single revolution of the wheel" covers in distance, in other words the measure of one complete revolution of the wheel.

The question I was asking in my previous post was related to the statement that;

"This is not really necessary on a road bike with thin high pressure road tires though." by Maeklong

Maybe He was assuming that with a thin tyre you could just accept the 26, 27 settings because the measurement of the web of the thin tyre was negligible.

If we are talking about accuracy then surely the correct measured tyre circumference inputed to the Odometer would give the most accurate reading?

from Street Cowboy

"Your odometer should offer an option to calibrate based on on the distance covered by a single revolution of the wheel. It's not rocket science, but it's still worth getting right. "

Thanks for your input Street Cowboy but I think you might have missed the point.

The settings that I am talking about do exactly that, they are already calibrated to whatever input you put into the system.

If I put in the measured (by tape measure) the circumference of the outer of the tyre then this will calibrate what the "single revolution of the wheel" covers in distance, in other words the measure of one complete revolution of the wheel.

The question I was asking in my previous post was related to the statement that;

"This is not really necessary on a road bike with thin high pressure road tires though." by Maeklong

Maybe He was assuming that with a thin tyre you could just accept the 26, 27 settings because the measurement of the web of the thin tyre was negligible.

If we are talking about accuracy then surely the correct measured tyre circumference inputed to the Odometer would give the most accurate reading?

I agree. (I should have said that first time!)

The 'width' of the tyre is irrelevant, it's the depth that matters. Unlike a train, your road bike probably has very little difference between worn and new tyres, and you don't use your odometer for safety-related positioning, but still, a measurement is better than an estimate based on 'typical' tyres.

SC

• 1 month later...

Just as a rider to this thread about "Odometers"

Anyone using an Iphone or I think Android phone can use a fantastic App called "Runtastic road bike pro"

There is a free version and I used that for a couple of weeks and then upgraded for about three quid to the Pro version.

It really is awesome giving you your done route, speed, max speed climb, time and can be used with a heart monitor to boot.

You can download all your biking/walking/running sessions to their server and send them to friends ETC

One of the best Apps I have on my phone and can be used for walking or running as well

https://www.runtastic.com/

beleive me really worth having

Anyone using an Iphone or I think Android phone can use a fantastic App called "Runtastic road bike pro"

There is a free version and I used that for a couple of weeks and then upgraded for about three quid to the Pro version.

It really is awesome giving you your done route, speed, max speed climb, time and can be used with a heart monitor to boot.

You can download all your biking/walking/running sessions to their server and send them to friends ETC

One of the best Apps I have on my phone and can be used for walking or running as well

A nice app, but I think Strava is more popular and has a better database.

ive got a cateye with wires and i find if rain gets between the main body and the detachable part it stops working but when dried it starts working ok, ive put a piece of electic tape round the top to prevent rainwater getting in and it seems to work fine like that.

I also use the cateye wireless- total so far 900km and never a hitch. Ive compared it to others, including friends and my GPS, and its very accurate.

Its been fine in all weather so far. Only thing I havent done is submerged it.

post-9399-0-41020700-1394516901_thumb.jp

Edited by OxfordWill

Thanks for your input bobfish

Just hit the link for Strava , and at first glance do not see a major difference fro Runtastic road bike pro but thanks for the comparison, maybe they are all based on similar software.

Personally just want a record of what I did on a particular day and the extra info always interesting and welcome.

I am a bit disappointed with Runtastic support though because when I upgraded from Free version to Pro version my "history" did not upgrade with me.

despite following their advices from FAQ I still had no luck.

Emailed them on their support link and apart from an auto reply, heard nothing since, so much for Runtastic support!

Did you notice any major difference in Strava from runtastic that woud justify me to abandon Runtastic and to go with Strava. (apart from the poor support that is)

I also use the cateye wireless- total so far 900km and never a hitch. Ive compared it to others, including friends and my GPS, and its very accurate.

Its been fine in all weather so far. Only thing I havent done is submerged it.

You could also use a bit of vaseline or PJ on the contact area, this helped with mine when I had similar problems. It keeps the water off unless of course you go swimming with your buke. (or bike I couldn't resist leaving this typo in)

Edited by n210mp

Hi n210mp,

I've been using the strava premium paid app for about 18mths, so can't compare directly.

For what it's worth;

Strava appears more established with more routes/ segments/users.

Previous history transferred seamlessly when I upgraded. Only tech hitch was getting Instagram to synch, but that was user error ;) Cadence and Heart Rate upload fine from my Garmin.

I don't particularly like the 'new' interface, but it appears less 'in-your-face-commercial' than Runtastic.

Anyway, they both do the job.

Have fun!

Thanks for your input bobfish

Just hit the link for Strava , and at first glance do not see a major difference fro Runtastic road bike pro but thanks for the comparison, maybe they are all based on similar software.

Personally just want a record of what I did on a particular day and the extra info always interesting and welcome.

I am a bit disappointed with Runtastic support though because when I upgraded from Free version to Pro version my "history" did not upgrade with me.

despite following their advices from FAQ I still had no luck.

Emailed them on their support link and apart from an auto reply, heard nothing since, so much for Runtastic support!

Did you notice any major difference in Strava from runtastic that woud justify me to abandon Runtastic and to go with Strava. (apart from the poor support that is)