AirPort Extreme Network Set-up

narkeddiver

Hi,

I have a modem that I want to connect to a switch to provide internet connections to my wife's business and to an AirPort Extreme to provide internet connections to our apartment

I want to set up the AirPort Extreme so that it cant't be accessed by computers that are connected to the business switch - I don't want the business users being able to access data that is on the AirPort Extreme hard disk, nor do I want them being able any data on the computers that connect to the AirPort Extreme (these computers have got shared drives on them so that we can share photos, etc)

Does anyone know if this is possible?

I've posted this on the apple forum as I want to secure an apple device but please move to the general it forum if the solution is a general network configuration issue

Thanks in advance

doing it properly would require a router in between them (like a mikrotik 750 or somethings like this .. goes for 40 USD or so)

if you want to save that you could setup the airport to serve a different network range and not have it assign ip's via the lan port.

however this may keep peoples out but smart ones may able to bypass it.

its mainly a question of how professional and how secure it should be.

the discs can be protected via smb passwords but the rest of the network may not.

standard users getting off is simple by just have different neworks (different ip ranges)

but then you may have to deal with "double nat" problems .. and this does depend on the dsl modem/and router on how well to deal with this things.

seriously the best and most secure way is to have a router in between then you can controll basically everything and you have (almost) physical seperation.

Thanks Null,

I might try going down the network range route

Currently the home and business have their own internet providers - 1 is true and the other is 3BB - so each location has a separate incoming line and router

Occasionally one of the services stops working (T.I.T after all ) and for those situations I am planning on running a spare Ethernet cable between the 2 locations and leaving it unplugged

When one service goes down I'll use the cable to connect the working modem to both the switch and the AirPort

Once both services are up and running again then the spare cable will be disconnected and the switch and the airport will be attached to separate modems again

$40 isn't the end of the world to throw an extra router into mix but (hopefully) most of the time it would be redundant

i have the same here ... use 2 connections ... 1 mikrotik router in between .. so there is some sort of failover as well (fully automatic)

on this little beasts you can assign IP-ranges "per-port"

so you will have seperate networks anyway but all the traffic goes trough this one and can be managed somehow. if the internet connections or the phonelines come together at some place i would strongly suggest you to do this.

it will cost you only the router .. and everything is good to go.

usally hardware capable doing things like this costing a fortune ... but thanks to the guys from routerboard.com this is affordable now.

in the end ALL devices (including the adsl routers and the apple airport) will be 100% passive and all the traffic is managed via the router itself .. by preserving maximum security and great performance.

let me know if you need some help in programming them .. (can be abit tricky if you not in that business)