Baked my first cake!

FiftyTwo

One of these strange Thai convection cookers was on sale in Tesco for 999bht.

So I thought, wonder if it will work for baking bread and cakes? Not much of a money risk.

So, one all-in-one Betty Crocker Super Moist Triple Chocolate Fudge mix later (also discounted).

Here it is cooking.

post-176974-0-90582800-1381317680_thumb.

and the finished item. OK, OK, so next time I will try to cook a cake from scratch.

post-176974-0-79089300-1381317694_thumb.

Now to try baking some bread!

Edited by FiftyTwo

Thanks for the tip.

I helped my teenage daughter to bake her first Betty Cooker cake a couple of weeks ago in our Gas Oven. Turned out looking much like yours but we also have one of the electric variety (again like yours) so just for the heck of it, we'll give it a try next time.

Ha- thats funny, I did one of those last week also. Looks the same as yours. I

think next time I will put in bigger pan than suggested and cook a little less since it came out more cake like than brownie like (more dense and chewy). I have a full size convection oven. Graham crackers next if I can find some whole wheat flour in Korat.

I've become the village baker mainly because I'm the only one that has a full size oven. I bake for parties and usually bake either pineapple upside down cake or carrot cake. I have made small cakes in a counter top oven like yours with good results. I normally make the cakes from scratch. But is you want to try something different, buy a bag of Betty Crocker brownie and a bag of chocolate chip cookie mix. Flour and grease a pan that will just fit in your oven. Mix the brownie mix per directions and spread on the bottom of the pan. Mix the cookie mix and drop spoonfuls of the mix on top of the brownie mix. Bake at 180 degrees C until a toothpick just comes out without any residue - don't overcook as you want them almost done but not quite. Cool, cut and store them in the fridge. A great snack or could be eaten as a meal if you want! Great for breakfast with a cold beer - just kidding!

Edited by wayned

Here's an easy fruit cake recipie that's well worth a try.

200gms mixed fruit (Raisins and glace cherries)

2 eggs (Beaten)

150gms brown sugar

150 gms all purpose flour

100gms butter (Can use half cup veg oil)

1 tsp baking powder

1 tsp mixed spice

pinch of salt

I also add pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds. I buy the small snack packs 15bht and use about half in each cake.

Place the fruit in a saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil, and simmer for 5 mins. I usually add a teabag to this, for extra flavour.

Drain, and keep in saucepan.

Add butter to the fruit and let it melt.

Add beaten eggs, flour, sugar, mixed spice, baking powder, salt and nuts.

Mix well.

Pour into a greased or lined 8" loaf tin.

Bake at 170c for about 50 mins (Fanned oven), maybe an hour in a conventional oven.

Remove from tin and place on a baking rack to cool.

Enjoy.