India moves to ease visas.

craigt3365

If anyone fancies dipping a toe into India for the first time then recommend to start in Kerala State. Try Cochin first up and simply stay a week and if it's not to your liking then move south if your a beach lover or east if the lakes and mountains are what you are looking for. There's plenty else there just do the research and see what appeals. How about checkng in for some ayuverdic treatment? Never tried ashrams but it's another option.

Elsewhere and for the more adventurous how about the 2 day road trip from Srinigar to Leh? Or explore the fabulous Kinnaur/Spiti region? Places such as Chopta and the towns above Kaza (Kibber for one) are must sees and if your timing is good you can continue through the Kunzum and Rohtang passes around to Manali. Can even visit the Pin Valley on your way around and then there's the monastrey parts of which may be 1,000 years old.

Or you could traverse Arunachal Pradesh or nip over the 18,000' plus pass into the Nubra valley in Ladakh. Some even elect to mountain bike over and are succesful.

Or you can stay home or visit elsewhere.

I would not advise a neophyte to go South. Rather, I would advise going either to Rajasthan in winter or Varanasi. Culture is much richer in these places.

As for your Himalayan suggestions, I might try them myself. I would add Mussoorie in April as a Songkran getaway for a very comfortable and easy-to-reach destination.

I would not advise a neophyte to go South. Rather, I would advise going either to Rajasthan in winter or Varanasi. Culture is much richer in these places.

As for your Himalayan suggestions, I might try them myself. I would add Mussoorie in April as a Songkran getaway for a very comfortable and easy-to-reach destination.

I suggested Kerala as that's the wife's favourite but fair call on Rajastan. Jaisalmer just needs to be seen but there are certainly plenty of gems there. Was recently in Jaipur and found the stepwells there and in Abaneri absolutely fascinating. Abaneri is all fenced off but the watchman will turn a blind eye for a few rupees providing there are no tour buses around.

Have skiing planned near Manali mid February (must check insurance) and may give Mussoorie and the surrounding area a look but there was some severe monsoon damage in Uttarakhand this year which may take a while to clear.

Try the Kinnaur/Spiti trip. We did it in May/June and turned back from Kaza as passes closed and stopped in Chitkul on the return and awoke to snow in June!

Amazing India. To some at least.

This is melodramatic overreaction. The numerous recent events are more likely examples of a journalistic trend rather than a rising crime trend. India is a vast country with more than a billion people. To focus on a few events demonstrates an ignorance of large numbers.

A bad case of Delhi Belly can happen anywhere in the world. In my 18 visits to India I have only once had diarrhea. Properly treated it was gone in 24 hours. I have been sicker eating oysters in France (Paris Belly) and the UK (Manchester Belly).

India is crowded, dilapidated, filthy and noisy and I would respect the opinion of anyone who said they would never go there again for these reasons. But it is also one of the richest cultural experiences that the planet has to offer. It is the only extant ancient civilization. It is teeming with colour, rhythm and history. To attempt to dissuade anyone from visiting India by reason of a few journalistic sensations and a belly ache is tendentious and irresponsible.

i can bet somehow you wouldn't say the same thing about their neighbour china even though they have an equally old civilization and the place is more modern but they don;t look as caucasian.

You're right. Nothing to do with looking Caucasian. China's ancient civilization is no longer extant except, perhaps, for the written language. It's a cultural moonscape compared to India.

That's because chinese are a more united race. India isn't. India is just like if the entire europe was a single country. If you care to read about the history of china the emperor qin shi huang destroyed his enemies written languages to unite them with his country that's how china was first united thousands of years ago. if not for that the china of today would be as varied as that of india.

You have to remember india as a country was done by the brits were it not for them india would be like europe.

I suggested Kerala as that's the wife's favourite but fair call on Rajastan. Jaisalmer just needs to be seen but there are certainly plenty of gems there. Was recently in Jaipur and found the stepwells there and in Abaneri absolutely fascinating. Abaneri is all fenced off but the watchman will turn a blind eye for a few rupees providing there are no tour buses around.

Have skiing planned near Manali mid February (must check insurance) and may give Mussoorie and the surrounding area a look but there was some severe monsoon damage in Uttarakhand this year which may take a while to clear.

Try the Kinnaur/Spiti trip. We did it in May/June and turned back from Kaza as passes closed and stopped in Chitkul on the return and awoke to snow in June!

Amazing India. To some at least.

Thanks for the tip on Abaneri.

I'd like to do the trip along the Chinese border of Himachal Pradesh, as you mention, but since flights to Kullu have been cancelled it's a bugger to get there. The road from Chandigarh is a nightmare. Manali didn't appeal. The Parvati valley is much nicer, especially Kasol, despite its hashed-out Israeli presence.

Mussoorie should be fine in April. It's high at the top of the ridge and did not, 'bear the brunt' of the floods, according to one report. Roads might have been washed out. But quite likely repaired by April.

I don't think India is a 'tourist' destination in the truest sense of the word, it's a place to go and experience and it's like no other in the world. After a longish time and a wonderful experience there, a person might require a tourist destination to recoup.wink.png

This is melodramatic overreaction. The numerous recent events are more likely examples of a journalistic trend rather than a rising crime trend. India is a vast country with more than a billion people. To focus on a few events demonstrates an ignorance of large numbers.

A bad case of Delhi Belly can happen anywhere in the world. In my 18 visits to India I have only once had diarrhea. Properly treated it was gone in 24 hours. I have been sicker eating oysters in France (Paris Belly) and the UK (Manchester Belly).

India is crowded, dilapidated, filthy and noisy and I would respect the opinion of anyone who said they would never go there again for these reasons. But it is also one of the richest cultural experiences that the planet has to offer. It is the only extant ancient civilization. It is teeming with colour, rhythm and history. To attempt to dissuade anyone from visiting India by reason of a few journalistic sensations and a belly ache is tendentious and irresponsible.

i can bet somehow you wouldn't say the same thing about their neighbour china even though they have an equally old civilization and the place is more modern but they don;t look as caucasian.

You're right. Nothing to do with looking Caucasian. China's ancient civilization is no longer extant except, perhaps, for the written language. It's a cultural moonscape compared to India.

That's because chinese are a more united race. India isn't. India is just like if the entire europe was a single country. If you care to read about the history of china the emperor qin shi huang destroyed his enemies written languages to unite them with his country that's how china was first united thousands of years ago. if not for that the china of today would be as varied as that of india.

You have to remember india as a country was done by the brits were it not for them india would be like europe.

I think it's more likely due to Mao and his Cultural Revolution which destroyed many of the ancient relics and extirpated ancient customs.

I think it's more likely due to Mao and his Cultural Revolution which destroyed many of the ancient relics and extirpated ancient customs.

Oh yes that too. Thanks for reminding me of this.

I'd like to do the trip along the Chinese border of Himachal Pradesh, as you mention, but since flights to Kullu have been cancelled it's a bugger to get there. The road from Chandigarh is a nightmare. Manali didn't appeal. The Parvati valley is much nicer, especially Kasol, despite its hashed-out Israeli presence.

Mussoorie should be fine in April. It's high at the top of the ridge and did not, 'bear the brunt' of the floods, according to one report. Roads might have been washed out. But quite likely repaired by April.

Air India still show flights to Kullu but maybe old data? Manali I know is a dump but I am looking for a ski school and Solang fits the bill but open to ideas. Have been to Gulmarg, Narkanda and Auli off season and not much infrastructure there but unaware of other options.

For the trip along Chinese border Shimla is a decent start point and you can arrange vehicle and permits there and the tourist office is excellent source of maps and latest road information plus they'll recommend a vehicle if you wish.

Air India still show flights to Kullu but maybe old data? Manali I know is a dump but I am looking for a ski school and Solang fits the bill but open to ideas. Have been to Gulmarg, Narkanda and Auli off season and not much infrastructure there but unaware of other options.

For the trip along Chinese border Shimla is a decent start point and you can arrange vehicle and permits there and the tourist office is excellent source of maps and latest road information plus they'll recommend a vehicle if you wish.

All interesting points but we're wandering off topic. Might be an idea to start a new post on great spots to travel in India, for all the 'love it' camp.

All interesting points but we're wandering off topic. Might be an idea to start a new post on great spots to travel in India, for all the 'love it' camp.

Fair comment. I'll step out as managed to secure a 5 year tourist visa (Brit) from Chiang Mai that still has a couple of years to run.

There is a thread running on Indiamike discussing same topic for what it's worth:

http://www.indiamike.com/india/indian-visa-and-passport-questions-f9/proposal-to-extend-visa-on-arrival-t205588/

Edited by Mahseer

• 2 weeks later...

I`ve never been there but would like to take a visit sometime, if the VOA proposal does come in to force, all the better.

never been there either. been to about 8 indian embassies in 8 different countries at last count which was years ago and an indian visa has never graced the pages of any of the several passports i have filled. all the same extremely bad news places to have to go to.

I have spent about a year in India during the last 6 years or so and never had any safety issues, and the only time I was I'll after eating was in a supposed nice hotel. Eat in more local places and on the street and you should be ok. Eat in a fancy restaurant at your peril.

i see, same same thailand, but even then, in these days of thai hate thai, 7-11 is a much better bet.

focussing on people shitting in the street is silly. once u leave the big cities India is a fantastic country (the nature, the beaches, the culture). domestic planes are very cheap so u can go wherever u want. quite often i just head to an airport in the morning WITHOUT any reservation and had the touts find me some cheap ticket to some place i have never been (departing an hour later). great way of exploring a country. and yes, touts abound but most of them do a great job for a small fee and touts are part of the indian way (also for locals). they always helped me out bigtime, as in: saving 25-100 euro by paying a 2-5 euro fee. remember these touts are WORKING for u. u tell them what u want and they will find it. the problem is westerners don't understand the concept of touting. western people feel "intimidated" and think they will be ripped-off.

hmm touting touts, your middle name must be s c a m m e r

• 3 months later...

Hi

I still fancy visiting some time and it may be a little easier visa wise in the future

Maybe of interest,recent news :

"India's government has decided to extend the country's limited visa-on-arrival scheme to tourists from 180 countries in an attempt to boost tourism and business."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-india-26062351

smile.png

Visa on arrival, free plane ticket and hotel paid for would not get me to visit that place again!

No flamming please.I am entitled to my opinion horrible place.wai2.gif I am sure this feeling is shared by many

why ?

Because it's true that many dislike it. I'm one.

• Like 1