driving without a driver's license.

snake24

Could be hit for up to 100,000 baht

Why do it as a Thai license cost500 baht?

you sure about that?

Can u just buy a thai license?

my wife was proud that she really made her driving license herself, and not just sent someone with money.

I've been involved in a few accidents, after one really bad accident, the truck driver duly carried on down the highway and made his U-turn, I watched him make the U-turn and stood in the highway and pointed at him to pull over, which he did. While waiting for the police and insurance agents to show up, the owner of the truck showed up and wanted me to say I was at fault and "he would reimburse me for repairs", the driver of the truck gave me his Thai ID card while waiting for the owner to show up, he didn't have a driver's license.

No driver's license: If you are involved in an accident you are in a heap of trouble!

I have a valid Thai drivers license.

• Like 1

you sure about that?

my wife was proud that she really made her driving license herself, and not just sent someone with money.

Well it's pointless if you aren't staying in thailand for long.

I've been involved in a few accidents, after one really bad accident, the truck driver duly carried on down the highway and made his U-turn, I watched him make the U-turn and stood in the highway and pointed at him to pull over, which he did. While waiting for the police and insurance agents to show up, the owner of the truck showed up and wanted me to say I was at fault and "he would reimburse me for repairs", the driver of the truck gave me his Thai ID card while waiting for the owner to show up, he didn't have a driver's license.

No driver's license: If you are involved in an accident you are in a heap of trouble!

I have a valid Thai drivers license.

So the truck driver that is a thai what would have happened to him? Did he go to jail?

If you're not staying in Thailand long, you should use your licence from your home country, with an IDP.

If you haven't got a licence at all, don't drive, it's illegal. Same as it is where you come from.

well yes illegal but you know it's thailand so is the punishment serious?

What a stupid question!sad.png

If you drive without a license, you are:

Responsible for any accident, you are involved in. No matter who caused it. Expensive.

Immature!

Irresponsible!

Having a bad attitude!

• Like 1

If you're not staying in Thailand long, you should use your licence from your home country, with an IDP.

If you haven't got a licence at all, don't drive, it's illegal. Same as it is where you come from.

Well, you know, it's Thailand, so it could be anything between "ok mai bpen rai" to jail. Depends on your luck really doesn't it smile.png

If you get a copper who, for whatever reason, decides that he doesn't like you, he could make a huge deal out of it.

Also, and more importantly, if you haven't got a licence at all, that, to me, means you don't know how to drive on the roads properly and safely. It would also mean that you don't drive legally in your home country too, that also makes you dangerous.

I know lots of Thai drivers also don't know how to do that, but why would you want to add to the dangers on the road?

What if you killed someone? Would you tell their family "well, you know, it's Thailand" ?

Get a licence (not from the Khao Saan Road) or don't drive.

Edited by bifftastic

you sure about that?

You've been here too long dude if you say your wife 'made' her drivers licence.

Well, you know, it's Thailand, so it could be anything between "ok mai bpen rai" to jail. Depends on your luck really doesn't it smile.png

If you get a copper who, for whatever reason, decides that he doesn't like you, he could make a huge deal out of it.

Also, and more importantly, if you haven't got a licence at all, that, to me, means you don't know how to drive on the roads properly and safely. It would also mean that you don't drive legally in your home country too, that also makes you dangerous.

I know lots of Thai drivers also don't know how to do that, but why would you want to add to the dangers on the road?

What if you killed someone? Would you tell their family "well, you know, it's Thailand" ?

Oh yes i do remember the khao san guys and they were showing all those fake IDs. Are they really effective?

My Thai mother in law is a very good driver and she has a Thai drivers license. I don't know how she got it as she cant read or writeblink.png of course she bought it.

I wondered why she would not drive from Lop Buri to Pattaya to stay with us, and the wife said she cant read the road signs. That's when I woke up to how she got the license.w00t.gif

you sure about that?

You've been here too long dude if you say your wife 'made' her drivers licence.

That guy was actually trying to give a moral education lesson in the sense he was implying that his wife "earned' her license but who knows. This is thailand and there isn't any difference at all in earning one's license or buying it. I can easily bet the test to get your driver's license is chickensh!t easy.

Can you identify the clutch from the steering wheel? Do you know which pedal is the break and accelerator?

In fact i can easily bet the driver with a legally obtained driver's license isn't that much more of a competent driver compared to a driver with no license. This is the case for most SEA countries with the exception of singapore.

My Thai mother in law is a very good driver and she has a Thai drivers license. I don't know how she got it as she cant read or writeblink.png of course she bought it.

I wondered why she would not drive from Lop Buri to Pattaya to stay with us, and the wife said she cant read the road signs. That's when I woke up to how she got the license.w00t.gif

Amazing a thai that cannot read or write thai. It isn't anything unique you can easily find ppl like that in the USA for example.

It's the sickening morality/superiority mentality at play in here.

Guy from the USA hears/read about thais that bought their license or are illiterate thinks he's better than them but forgets that there are equally as many or more ppl that are just the same in his home country.

That guy was actually trying to give a moral education lesson in the sense he was implying that his wife "earned' her license but who knows. This is thailand and there isn't any difference at all in earning one's license or buying it. I can easily bet the test to get your driver's license is chickensh!t easy.

Can you identify the clutch from the steering wheel? Do you know which pedal is the break and accelerator?

In fact i can easily bet the driver with a legally obtained driver's license isn't that much more of a competent driver compared to a driver with no license. This is the case for most SEA countries with the exception of singapore.

No Thais say 'tham bai kap kee" which a bad translator would say made a driver's license.

It's like people saying 'open the tv' because Thais say "berd tv" meaning switch on the tv. Many Westerners that have been here a while start saying open the tv, myself included.

The driving test isn't that easy. My wife paid 5,000 baht for lessons every day for a week but the main purpose was that they guarantee you getting it.

Edited by Neeranam

The times I have been to get my Thai license renewed or Rego done in Pattaya, I quite often go to watch Thai's and Falungs test for their drivers or riders license. A lot of them, Thai and Falungs fail.

You forgot to add this.................................

They failt BUT DAYS/WEEKS LATER YOU SEE THEM RIDING OR DRIVING DOWN THE RD WITHOUT A HITCH. wai2.gif

No Thais say 'tham bai kap kee" which a bad translator would say made a driver's license.

It's like people saying 'open the tv' because Thais say "berd tv" meaning switch on the tv. Many Westerners that have been here a while start saying open the tv, myself included.

The driving test isn't that easy. My wife paid 5,000 baht for lessons every day for a week but the main purpose was that they guarantee you getting it.

Well how do you think a thai that legally obtained his license vs one that bought his is? I doubt there is any difference at all.

Many ppl get killed by drunken drivers in thailand. It's a daily occurance.

Oh yes i do remember the khao san guys and they were showing all those fake IDs. Are they really effective?

Yes, they're very effective. Of relieving you of your money.

100,000 is a pure fantasy made up by the usual TV alarmists and doom mongers.

I was pulled up for no license and the copper really didn't like me, he kept muttering to his mate 'huh... falang come to Thailand and disrespect our laws.....blah blah blah.'

I got an on the spot 2000 baht fine. I have held a UK full license for 30 years almost, I just hadn't got round to the Thai license yet.

I didn't have any cash on me barring about 300 Baht, so took the ticket and wife handed over her ID card to the coppers.

Got home... wife make phone call to uncle (much higher rank copper than the road monkey) an hour later, wife's uncle came to the house picked up the ticket and handed the ID card back to wife. Asked me to please get my Thai license.... Done.

Who cares.... TIT ;) If you can't beat em, join em, and you can't always beat em.

100,000 is a pure fantasy made up by the usual TV alarmists and doom mongers.

I was pulled up for no license and the copper really didn't like me, he kept muttering to his mate 'huh... falang come to Thailand and disrespect our laws.....blah blah blah.'

I got an on the spot 2000 baht fine. I have held a UK full license for 30 years almost, I just hadn't got round to the Thai license yet.

I didn't have any cash on me barring about 300 Baht, so took the ticket and wife handed over her ID card to the coppers.

Got home... wife make phone call to uncle (much higher rank copper than the road monkey) an hour later, wife's uncle came to the house picked up the ticket and handed the ID card back to wife. Asked me to please get my Thai license.... Done.

Who cares.... TIT wink.png If you can't beat em, join em, and you can't always beat em.

Thanks for telling it like it is.

It's just sad that farang still have this higher morality when you know there is corruption in farang countries but i am not here for a debate at all.

I just want to know how things really are like how they are. Let's throw self righteousness and morality out the window here.

Thanks for relating your real life experiences and how things are done in thailand.

Never mind what the Thais do or how they do it.

As a foreigner in Thailand, it is common sense to keep within the boundaries of the laws. As they say; cover your own a-se at all times and don`t become the defenceless farang ripe for extortion or in other words, don`t give them any excuses to stitch you up.

Obtaining a Thai driving license may involve a bit of inconvenience, but is easy enough to obtain. It`s worth it in the end just for peace of mind, as what happened to our mistisdead, we never know where or when something may happen next.

Amazing a thai that cannot read or write thai. It isn't anything unique you can easily find ppl like that in the USA for example.

Guy from the USA hears/read about thais that bought their license or are illiterate thinks he's better than them but forgets that there are equally as many or more ppl that are just the same in his home country.

I've never met a native American who can't do basic reading and writing. Never. Illegal aliens and tourists and other legal guests, yes.

It's impossible to buy a license, too. You take the written and driving test and the driving test is real, on the streets. One mistake and you fail. Caught without a license you go to jail.

I've heard that the written test in Thailand is stupid tricky. I don't know. If that's true, I'd study the laws, but if possible I'd buy the license. I don't like being unfairly screwed with.

I've never met a native American who can't do basic reading and writing. Never. Illegal aliens and tourists and other legal guests, yes.

It's impossible to buy a license, too. You take the written and driving test and the driving test is real, on the streets. One mistake and you fail. Caught without a license you go to jail.

I've heard that the written test in Thailand is stupid tricky. I don't know. If that's true, I'd study the laws, but if possible I'd buy the license. I don't like being unfairly screwed with.

Sorry, but the wife just read this and laughed.

She was taught by her father over about 6 hours, and her father doesn't even drive a car, although he has a license, he only ever rides a motor scooter, he hates driving.

The test was just an eye test (colour blindness) and then into the rear car park and into the car for the practical test... Consisted of pulling out of parking space, driving round building and back to rear car park and park up.... test complete. No open roads, she says they never test on the road.

If you fail, it's 300 baht and changed to a pass. Her aunt and brother all failed and drove home the same day.

The transport headquarters where they do the testing is close to my house, and I often drive past watching people pull into the road with their nose stuck to the inside of the screen, and proceed at 30 KM/H straight on to the bypass, a 110 KMH road.

They really ought to move that place.. I mean, 50 meters from the bypass entrance is a joke. Talk about a baptism of fire.

You see how you contridict the other posters?

Now i personally know a number of foreigners that can drive in thailand. They obviously don't really speak thai that well but they got their licenses.

You sound like the hmmmmmmmmmmmm super police aka morality unit that strives to put thailand on the same standards as 1st world countries brigade.

The fact of the matter is this. You can drive in thailand without a license and you won't get much problems unless you get into an accident and it's true for the rest of the world.

You have to be an idiot not to be able to drive a car. Even if you fail the official driving test it's very easy to drive a vehicle.

Sorry, but the wife just read this and laughed.

She was taught by her father over about 6 hours, and her father doesn't even drive a car, although he has a license, he only ever rides a motor scooter, he hates driving.

The test was just an eye test (colour blindness) and then into the rear car park and into the car for the practical test... Consisted of pulling out of parking space, driving round building and back to rear car park and park up.... test complete. No open roads, she says they never test on the road.

If you fail, it's 300 baht and changed to a pass. Her aunt and brother all failed and drove home the same day.

The transport headquarters where they do the testing is close to my house, and I often drive past watching people pull into the road with their nose stuck to the inside of the screen, and proceed at 30 KM/H straight on to the bypass, a 110 KMH road.

They really ought to move that place.. I mean, 50 meters from the bypass entrance is a joke. Talk about a baptism of fire.

Where is that testing centre - what area?

I just did my Licence (conversion from an IDP) and my experience was different.