Phuket Immigration denies crackdown on ED visas

webfact

Phuket Immigration denies crackdown on ED visas
Tanyaluk Sakoot

PHUKET: -- The Superintendent of Phuket Immigration, Pol Col Sanchai Chokkayaikij, has denied rumours that there is to be a crackdown on the abuse of Non-Immigrant ED visas, or that the visas will soon no longer be available.

ED visas are required by foreigners who want to come into Thailand to study. Subjects that can be studied in Phuket range from teaching of English as a foreign language (TEFL) through to Thai boxing and mixed martial arts.

The rumour was floated yesterday evening in a post on the ThaiVisa web forum, with the poster, “Phronesis”, informing everyone, “There are 42 language schools in Phuket. They are being called to a meeting with immigration on October 17.

“Immigration want to do away with the student visa because of its abuse by Russians and other foreigners working illegally on the island. So … if you are like me … and are currently staying in Phuket on a ED visa … don’t get too comfortable.”

Col Sanchai agreed that a meeting has been set for October 17 – next Thursday – but denied any intention by Immigration to launch a drive to find people misusing ED visas, or to stop issuing them.

He told The Phuket News, “Phuket Immigration will hold the meeting about ED visas. All concerned (including foreigners) are invited to this meeting so that they can understand the rules and follow them in the same way. All details will be explained at the meeting.”

There has been concern that foreigners come to Thailand on ED visas but do not study. Instead, they work illegally. The visa, with a one-year validity, allows them to enter Thailand at any time during that period for 90 days at a time. In effect, it allows them to stay almost 15 months before they must get a new visa.

Trying to work for any length of time while on a tourist visa is much more difficult; the maximum stay is 60 days, and those found entering many times on tourist visas may come under scrutiny from Immigration. They may even be refused a renewal at the border, leaving them stranded in a neighbouring country.

A source who works at a Phuket training school where people can study for TEFL certificates, told The Phuket News this morning on condition of anonymity that he was aware of people coming to Phuket, getting a ED visa, but then taking on a full-time job illegally.

“I wouldn’t say it’s quite common, no, but it certainly happens. Technically, I think, you can work up to 20 hours a month on an education visa. But you still have to get a work permit. Work permits are completely separate from visa issues in Thailand.”

When asked if there was abuse of the education visa in Phuket, he said,

“The short answer is yes.”

He said a former student at the school got “duped” into doing that.

“The owner of a language school was quite forthright, telling her, ‘You’ll never get a job without a degree. You’d better work for me under an ED visa and I’ll protect you.

“She had to put down a B10,000 deposit. She said to me, ‘This sounds a little bit dodgy,’ and I told her not to do it. She was able to get B5,000 returned.

“It certainly happens but there are bigger issues out there that need attention – such as all the teachers on the island who are working for school but who don’t have degrees.” (In Thailand, teachers in the mainstream education system require a degree to teach.)

Schools offering TEFL or Thai language courses usually charge between B25,000 and B35,000 to organise a one-year ED visa for students.

Source: http://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-immigration-denies-crackdown-on-ed-visas-42290.php

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2013-10-10

Being involved with a TEFL training school in Chiang Mai, I can say that there is no official route (that I'm aware of) to get a one year visa for taking a one month TEFL course, unless they are duping people into a one year TEFL course. But we're unaware of anyone at the Ministry of Education recognising TEFL as a full time course (unless as a diploma through a university). Generally, the TEFLs are associated with a Thai course, through a properly registered MoE school. This is the way they offer a study visa for TEFL, but technically they should be showing up for Thai classes.

The system is abused and getting out of hand, the other day I saw a fly poster advertising visa for 'hand to hand combat class', and I know of corrupt practices from people close to the right officials, who can arrange you volunteer or study visas that are never investigated.

A few years back there was a big fall out at CMU when it suddenly stopped its wildly popular Thai course and threw out more than 300 students without refund and leaving them in the lurch with visas, in the end they had to settle a class action lawsuit agains the university. Left a bad taste in everyone's mouth. There are TEFLs and Thai language schools out there who try to do things honestly and professionally and actually teach people skills.

No need to crack down on all the schools, just the crooks. Simple solution each

three months the applicant is tested by an independent forum set up by the Dept

of Education. If no progress is made toward the certificate, or just minimum progress,

the student is given an additionial three months to study. Still limited progress, End Visa.

Students must attend 85-90% of all classes, be documented by school, if school

is caught falseifing documents school license is pulled immediately.

• Like 1

Started off with 5 in my class - now just me after the Russians didn't bother turning up after just one lesson.

Now I have to apply for an extension every 30 days at cost of 2,500 THB a pop - that's a half page stamp which is filling up my passport. On top of that there is the usual 90 day report. It never used to be like this and whilst I applied for an ED Visa to learn Thai it is now more trouble than it's worth.

• Like 2

Looks like the Phuket News gets most of its articles from Thaivisa.

Congrats Phrosnesis for making the paper. Thats a 1 all tie with me and Hans

Sent from my GT-N7100 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

What thing of yours made the paper?

What thing of yours made the paper?

When we had the tsunami drill at kata beach. It terrified everyone. LIK heard the screams from his place

Not sure about this crackdown but a strange rule has been set in place this year. Two years ago I got a 3 months extension followed by a 6 months extension to my ED visa, great. This year i got a new visa, but I only got a one month extension 3 months later. Then I had to go back to immigration, simply show my passport without filling any form to get an additional 2 month. This retarded process was repeated 2 months later. I really don't get why they just don't give 3 months at once. I was told it's a "new rule" without further explanation. Maybe there is a strange useless-passport-stamping addiction brewing on there. Only mildy irritating and time consuming but at this rate my brand new passport is going to be filled up really quickly.

With visas, study or otherwise, people forget that there are two steps to being legit, first you get the visa stamp from abroad, usually using paperwork (varies considerably in strictness from one consulate to the next, and the fewer visa runners there are). This enables you to apply for an extension to stay, which has to be done, with lots more paperwork and stricter scrutiny, at your local immigration office. If you have a single entry visa, then you've got 3 months to complete this, if you have a multiple entry you can come and go and get 3 month extensions and never advance to the next step. Note! When you do go to immigration, they check all your papers, find an excuse to 'trip you up' (read: bribe me) and send you away, or tell you it all now needs to be sent to Bangkok for approval. Thus, you get a further 30 days, and 30 days until the process is complete to their satisfaction.

People offering study visas can provide the paperwork, and as long as you've got that from the local MoE, there are far fewer 'trip ups' for the immigration to throw up. However, if it's not a very powerful backer (like a university) they might only opt to give you three months. The way things are going, sooner or later someone is going to start visiting all these schools to see who attends. They won't kick you out the country, they will simply ask for money, both you and the school, and lots of it.

A mate of mine was told he has to report his residence every 30 days because he is on a 1st time, new ED visa. He was told it was "because of all the Russians." Has anyone else heard of this 30 day reporting requirement for ED visas?

Congratulations for making the paper by spreading a false story? Well done.

• Like 1

My partner and I work hard to study Thai on our ED visas in Pattaya with 100% attendance. We enjoy our studies and have a sense of satisfaction as we slowly acquire a new language skill. We hope to apply for a second year without restrictions in Mar 2014.

That's great, but what's your end goal?

Congratulations for making the paper by spreading a false story?  Well done. 

Well Hans' s story was true. What are you trying to say?

Congratulations for making the paper by spreading a false story? Well done.

II not only made the paper, he was the only one that really made the news, the others were just reporting it.

Started off with 5 in my class - now just me after the Russians didn't bother turning up after just one lesson.

Now I have to apply for an extension every 30 days at cost of 2,500 THB a pop - that's a half page stamp which is filling up my passport. On top of that there is the usual 90 day report. It never used to be like this and whilst I applied for an ED Visa to learn Thai it is now more trouble than it's worth.

Your post is what many/me think is happening via the ED visa. Just look at the school advertising. Doesn't take a lot of working out, BUT makes harder for the genuine. Of course the schools don't give a stuff, got their cash........rock on.........sad.png

Immigration should stop shuffling paper and check out attendance.