What to do with my CBR.... opinions please.

Overandout

• 3 months later...

KRS1 Wrote

cam chain tensioner needs replacing 650 baht, that bike vibrates, but does much better with the cat removed. The air and idle control probably needs some tweaking too. The carb needle should probably be replaced by now also, when it gets worn it snacks back and forth causing vibration do to inconsistent mixture 200 baht.

besides changing the carb needle , do you also have to change the needle jet ? sorry cant upload the picture of the carburator where the needle is nr18 and the needle jet (where the needle goes into) is nr.22

thanks

KRS1 Wrote

cam chain tensioner needs replacing 650 baht, that bike vibrates, but does much better with the cat removed. The air and idle control probably needs some tweaking too. The carb needle should probably be replaced by now also, when it gets worn it snacks back and forth causing vibration do to inconsistent mixture 200 baht.

besides changing the carb needle , do you also have to change the needle jet ? sorry cant upload the picture of the carburator where the needle is nr18 and the needle jet (where the needle goes into) is nr.22

thank

ive never had to change it, i would check for pinholes in the diaphragm.

turn the airscrew about 3.5-3.75 turns out as final adjustment.

I haven't read all the posts, but my advice is to park the bike until you have made a decision, it sounds like a death trap.

Then I would fix it up if it is a bike you like, there is nothing more satisfying than making a silk purse out of a sow's ear. I used to do it with cars and now with a 30 year old NV400.....and it is getting there.

I started by addressing all the safety issues before I rode it, brakes, tyres, steering head and wheel bearings, which mean't the worst that happened was that is broke down a few times and I can live with a little embarrassment.

Good luck mate....

I haven't read all the posts, but my advice is to park the bike until you have made a decision, it sounds like a death trap.

Then I would fix it up if it is a bike you like, there is nothing more satisfying than making a silk purse out of a sow's ear. I used to do it with cars and now with a 30 year old NV400.....and it is getting there.

I started by addressing all the safety issues before I rode it, brakes, tyres, steering head and wheel bearings, which mean't the worst that happened was that is broke down a few times and I can live with a little embarrassment.

Good luck mate....

I think this post is directed at me as the OP of the thread, but in that case, you have already commented on my project thread which is about doing exactly what you suggest!

(Although I haven't taken the original bike off the road... its still wobbling and rattling along!)

Its about time I updated the project thread in fact.....

• Like 1

I think OP also needs to ask himself if he truly wants to keep this bike for a long long time. fixing it as a project and selling it afterwards will not result in a profit, to say the least.

I thought long and hard and foremost wanted a small but stable bike for:

longer tours which suited my frame (1.80) without putting to much pressure on my wrist (so no cbr250)

not giving me lower back pain on longer rides(exit waves and all straight up sitting bikes),

a bike i could fiddle around a bit (so no FI),

which i could cruise on at 100 km/h (no need to go faster in thailand)

affordable to purchase, part availability and ride and fun to ride of course !!

just completed the MHS loop with the missus and the ride was super. no regret having the suspension work done and the brakes......smile.png .

the engine will need some work within time but thats fine coz i intend to keep it

all im saying is if OP really likes the bike OP wont mind pouring money into it