How to get best, tailored clothing in Bangkok, for the right price

somchaismith

I guess I should say something simply because I am likely to belong to the top 1% on TV in terms of being an absolute clothes freak.

There is not a tailor in Bangkok who can deliver the same kind of quality and material that you'll get if you spend 40k baht on a normal factory collection Italian suit in one of the shopping malls. The problem for a certain percentage of the male population is that standard sizes aren't even close to fit.

But trust me when I say this; you can't buy a cashmere wool suit for less than 30k since the material itself is 30k.

You WILL NOT get the same quality as ordinary Canali, Zegna, Armani or similar if you buy a tailored suit in Bangkok. Period. Proper tailors in London are different, but then you're looking at a completely different price...

I guess I should say something simply because I am likely to belong to the top 1% on TV in terms of being an absolute clothes freak.

There is not a tailor in Bangkok who can deliver the same kind of quality and material that you'll get if you spend 40k baht on a normal factory collection Italian suit in one of the shopping malls. The problem for a certain percentage of the male population is that standard sizes aren't even close to fit.

But trust me when I say this; you can't buy a cashmere wool suit for less than 30k since the material itself is 30k.

You WILL NOT get the same quality as ordinary Canali, Zegna, Armani or similar if you buy a tailored suit in Bangkok. Period. Proper tailors in London are different, but then you're looking at a completely different price...

I agree... I've tried the tailored suits in Bangkok. None of them have met with my expectations - I've always reverted back to the off-the-rack Suits from Hugo Boss and Paul Smith... the tailored suits are simply not good enough (I've tried 3 different tailors over the years and not been satisfied with any of them).

That said, a 50,000 baht suit is a huge price and I feel a bit of a mug having to pay that - But I'm no longer interested in chancing a tailor given the dissatisfaction of a 10,000 baht cost of the tailored suits here (those tailors were recommendations from Friends and also repeated on this website).

• Like 2

I agree... I've tried the tailored suits in Bangkok. None of them have met with my expectations - I've always reverted back to the off-the-rack Suits from Hugo Boss and Paul Smith... the tailored suits are simply not good enough (I've tried 3 different tailors over the years and not been satisfied with any of them).

That said, a 50,000 baht suit is a huge price and I feel a bit of a mug having to pay that - But I'm no longer interested in chancing a tailor given the dissatisfaction of a 10,000 baht cost of the tailored suits here (those tailors were recommendations from Friends and also repeated on this website).

The thing is - and I'm not saying this to piss someone off - but Zegna, Boss, Canali, and the likes aren't exactly the top brands when it comes to suits, but it works well for me as an office uniform. If you're after a made to measure top brand suit you're staring at least £5.000 in the face, and you can easily bump that to £25.000 if you're after top quality and cashmere wool. And this is the material Bangkok tailors claim to deliver top suits at THB12.000...?

However, I'm inclined to say that even a THB10.000 off the rack suit at Emporium is higher quality than the Sukhumvit junk. But there are sooooo many people out there who tends to believe they'll get a fantastic suit in quality wool for THB15.000, and that's unfortunate, because they wont.

However, I'm inclined to say that even a THB10.000 off the rack suit at Emporium is higher quality than the Sukhumvit junk. But there are sooooo many people out there who tends to believe they'll get a fantastic suit in quality wool for THB15.000, and that's unfortunate, because they wont.

but who can fit in an off the rack suit ? and still make it look good

Me whistling.gif

• Like 1

But why are they not up to standard---because---I am a standard size ---so I have brought many off the rack suits in London / New York / Sydney and I know these have been made in Asia, and there fine. Also I knew a large Indian tailor in Pattaya some years ago---everyday he had a Fed-X pick up of 10-15 parcels going to Amsterdam/ London ...& most parts of Europe---theses were suits that had been measured up for there then faxed to Thailand--they were cut & just pinned together, the customer (in Europe) would try them on. Chalk marks would be made in places if needed then Fed-X back to be stitched.

The dental trade (I know I diverse,) is especially adapt at this--molds from Caps are taken then Fed-x to Asia for the cap to be made and Fed-x back----That info cones from a friend that works in the Fed-x in Thailand.

But I have to agree---I have not had a suit here that I have been 100% happy with---do not know why.

Even more than problems with materials and workmanship, one should realize that the tailors in Bangkok are just about all stuck in the 1980s in terms of style...it's very hard to find anyone who can produce anything approaching a modern-style suit in Thailand.

Me whistling.gif

I am 189 cm tall and weigh about 82 kg. I have long arms and legs for my frame. But the best suit I bought in Thailand was Hugo Boss off the rack. It was their largest size, and they did adjustments. Bought at Gaysorn Plaza and paid 25,000. Still have the suit 7 years later. I have bought 7-10 suits from Thai tailors and they are never exactly right. The wool is too heavy. I guess its true that the good fabric is really expensive and they just dont want to buy it. But I would gladly pay for a tailored suit if they had really light weight high quality fabric. It is hot here.

Another tailor I have been disappointed with are Jesse and Victor. Raja Tailors, I think they are, right next to Landmark Hotel. Been a customer few times over the years. And a couple of the batch of shirts were not right. The fit was clearly wrong. Victor says, just wear it with jeans and dont tuck it in. They would not take it back or cut me new one. There were other problems and I stopped going to them. They are a racket like all the others. But for 12,000 what do you want?

There is a tailor in All Seasons Place (I forget his name) just up escalator from Starbucks. Been there forever. He seems to have real imported fabrics and does suits for Ambassadors and the like. Cheapest suit was 26,000 and they go up quickly to 40,000. He claimed to be the only licensed Zena (spelling?) tailor in Thailand. I might try him, if I didnt like going to the USA and buying off the rack for similar prices but knowing what I am getting.

BTW, I have been looking for a Seersucker fabric for a suit. I used to have one in Miami and it was great for the heat. Kinda retro look and good for social events, and some work events, when in the field.

Another fabric that is crap in Thailand (read impossible to find) is linen. You can find decent linen in Vietnam but not here.

there's no such thing as a good suit that's cheap and made overnight. you get what you pay for. the tailor shop that satisfied my annual need for well made, comfortable and durable dark blue and gray business suits is SILVER on sukhumvit (between the aprt and soi 22). NOT cheap and requiring three fittings. but still a handmade, made-to-measure suit for under THB20K: a lot cheaper than similar quality in europe or new york. the two elderly thai gentlemen --and their english-speaking son--

know their craft.

There is one — Arts Tailor on Soi Thania. Savile Row tailoring at similar prices, I and friends have been using them foir more then 40 years. Comes with life time alterations. I understand that Perry's on Silom near by is also good quality. Bobby at Raja Tailors on Sukhumvit is good for shirts although I prefer Brooks Brothers dress and Tommy Bahama for more casual but these must be bought in the US. The same with real Levis.

Rule of thumb. If you are paying less than 25.000 baht for a suit then you are not getting a decent one. Good quality wool fabrics from England or Italy alone already cost that much.

I would just walk away from 100% of the tailors here in Thailand because I have not found one where I could verify the skills of the tailor, production method and fabric used.

Most tailors in BKK go to the same two or three places to have the suits made. You're only really dealing with selection of fabric.

Atelier Azzuro proclaims to have real Zegna fabric and quoted me ฿60k for a tuxedo. No variance in price, my Zegna tuxedo pants in the US were $900 alone.

I'd be more inclined to go to Italy and have something made if I need something elaborate.

I have been using Galati on the corner of Nana & Sukhumvit Road for over twenty years without a problem. They have been tailors to an Archbishop and a former Governor-General in Australia as well as a Prime Minister of Israel. They also can produce great clerical vestments for about a third of the shop price!

I also agree. Having lived in Thailand and being a keen clothes designer, I have NEVER EVER been happy with a tailored suit in Thailand (or in India and Vietnam for that matter). They just cannot match off the rack suits from the above mentioned brands (my fav being Armani and Boss). IMHO, the best way to go forward is buy a loose fitting design off the rack suit and then take it to one of these countries to have it altered to fit your body. That is what I do for all my suits and shirts now and am very happy with the outcome every time.

Having tried many than most in my 15 years here i can safely say i have learnt that there is only one tailor in Bangkok

http://www.tailoronten.com/

All the others are just clothes makers. These guys do what a real tailor does and talk to you about plackets, collar and cuff styles, buttons, cuts etc. Not just wham bam, measure and out you go only to come back to a poor fitting bin liner.

It is true that the tailors along Sukhumvit aren't that good. But there are very good tailors in Bkk and almost everywhere else. You just need to find them.

With respect, this is not helpful. What's your point? To make this statement, you must have found them yourself, so why don't you answer the OP's question and share the good news?

• Like 1

Honkytowner, I hope you do not mind be being personal. I like the cut of your shirt collar. Was that made for you by a BKK tailor?

Savile Row, probably. The picture is Richard John Bingham, 7th Earl of Lucan, a peer and alleged murderer, who was last seen on 8 November 1974.

There are some select few and very expensive shops with in-house production. Narin's comes to mind. Milano's famous for shirts. And I've had shirts made at one of those countless shops which contract out the work. Shirts @ 1,000 B? They were basically okay. But there is one thing I would want to warn you about:

wool & cashmere? It's printed on the fabric, but good brand name fabric is expensive.

At the low end of the market, taylors keep selling the cheapest and nastiest polyester as "Thai silk".

About cashmere, you have better chances on Fleabay IMHO. If you search for high end makers of fabrics you might come across quality u s e d suits. (I consider those superior - some are hand made by Savile Row taylors of the past, floating canvass and all).

Shirts and pants? why not. Suits? Are you kidding?

Can anyone recommend anywhere in Bangkok I can get proper trousers in foreigner sizes please ? Even the overly expensive ones in shopping malls are always too small. I am 6 foot tall and 45 inch waist. I have been getting my mother to send them over from England but they seem to be getting almost as badly made as Thai trousers these days ( I guess due to penny pinching companies trying to squeeze out more profit in the recession ). Never been to a tailors, but does anyone know anywhere that has good trousers ready made or who can make good ones ?

Thank you.

Go into the fabric shop on the corner of Asoke and Sukhumvit and you can find the material all the tailor shops are passing off as real Italian Wool and also Real Italian Wool. The real Italian Wool will run you around 2,500 a meter so for Jacket and Pants for average size man it will be approx 6 meters or 15,000 just for the material. If you go directly to the Thai Tailors you will pay an additional 7K - 10K for the workmanship. To have the pants and jacket made cost the tailors <2K. That is of course if they do not switch out the fabric that you brought to them.

So once you find the proper material you now have to be able to work with what ever tailor that is actually doing the sewing and not a middle man, like the shop owners along Sukhumvit. If you are working directly with the tailor you can be very specific in exactly what you want, Narrow lapels, Longer Body, less shoulder pads etc.

What I think most people are forgetting is that all Brand Name suits are made in factories with minimum wage employees. These employees are just following a pattern. So if you can get a good fabric and are able to show exactly what you want done with it then you will have a good suit made here. So it is possible to get a decent quality suit here but you will have to do a little leg work and put in a little effort in exchange for a decent suit at a decent price.

There is no way to know if a Thai tailor is truly skilled and honest. So I just wouldn't risk it.

Proper tailors use horn buttons, proper stitching, fully canvassed lining and they have multiple fittings to ensure they fit perfectly. Unless you are an expert there is no way to tell if the stitching is proper or if he is just filling your jacket with newspapers. That is if you are lucky enough to get a good fit in the first place.

99,999% of all advertised wool on the tailors shelfs is false. The printed name "Armani", "Cashmere", "Super 130" etc. is fake in most cases.

Since you seem to know Suits and I know Hawaiian shirts and Levis , can you advise me ?

I never wear a suit , , but it would probably be good to get one , but I am poor and cheap too !

So since I live in Los Angeles , can I buy a USED Suit coat here , that was expensive new but little used and have it fitted to me in Bangkok ?

I will not fit off the rack suits anyway , as I am 5ft 4in and have short arms (elbow to wrist) , but at least the beer belly is almost gone,

Do I just get a Suit coat that fits me across the shoulders and have them adjust the arms ?

and do you have a place that can do that in BKK ?

thanks for your advise

I went to Bicester Village (Oxfordshire) bought an Versace off the peg suit, from the Vercase shop for slightly under £500.00. Ok this was about 7years ago. The first time I wore it was to a function. A friend came up to me felt the jacket and asked if it was something special? Quality shows.

jb1